The Musicians of Audiocircle CD--lets make one, anybody got stuff to put on it??

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Maxcast came up with a great idea, lets put together a CD or a bunch of songs that Musicians of audiocircle have created, played on etc.. If anybody has any tunes they have been tirelessly working on, or tunes they played on for someone's demo and you can get clearance (Clarence) to put them on here as part of a collection we could put together a group of tracks that folks from the circle have created in some way...even if you engineered some tracks for that club band you do sound for or that choir that sings in your church lets get some tunes together and see what we come up with.
 Thoughts? Tunes? :thumb:

nathanm

Dreaming out loud
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:02 pm »
It looks like this idea may have laid an egg, but maybe not.  Here's my pie-in-the-sky, overly ambitious, putting-the-cart-before-the-horse, fantasy suggestion assuming there were enough takers:  Take up a collection and do a proper short run release on vinyl.  I mean, that's the audiophile thing to do, right?  :)  I haven't researched it a whole lot, but a few quick searches revealed some ballpark figures which are not too insane.  $1500 for 300 copies with full-color jacket.  That's not too shabby.

http://www.morphius.com/manufacturing/vinyl_quickquote.cfm

I don't suppose there's a demand for 300 copies but I could be wrong.  I'm just throwing it out there, I think vinyl would be way cooler than a digital thing.  I bring this up mainly because I would want to design the jacket art! Muwhahaha!

eclein

• Facilitator
nathanm-Good idea but I don't have a TT and even though it would most definitely be the audiophile thing to do most folks have access to a CD player, I would bet maybe as few as 1% don't have a CD player in the system they use the most or a secondary system in the office or other room they listen in. Album art is scalable although I realize a nice big jacket would be ideal...the main problem is the huge egg that may have been laid here.

Interest first
Tunes next
Then we look at either just offering them as a digital download which is probably the easiest and most cost effective
The rest of the details we sort out after that...first is TUNES

MaxCast

I think the musicians in our midst are a little shy.
Y'all could contact Ed first and talk about it.
Did we mention the recording contract for the best track?   :eyebrows:

Wayner

I have a few tunes that I would volunteer. They are all instrumentals tho. (that's a good thing).

Wayner

eclein

• Facilitator
Wayner-My hats off to ya, first in, and instrumentals are fine...I'm figuring from some of the gear you listed on another thread you have or could convert the tunes into a digital file of your choice? Thanks for breaking the ice!!! :thumb:

(this next part is for all of you guys)
Which opens another option what file type?? I'm think go ole Wav of MP3 just because the majority of people are familiar with them and if they download the tunes or whatever we decide and click on them something in the PC they are using will easily open those files types...but hey I could be wrong...thoughts??

I've never done a project such as this and when I played and we needed the tunes it was fedex that brought them...so I will research and see what is a good way to gather them in one place that we can get too.

But I should add at this point make sure whatever we get from folks is like the finished tune and your ready to have it perused by whomever happens by audiocircle and sees this thread. I personally have no stake in using, selling anybodies stuff but if you send in a killer track I still got phone numbers to folks who be willing I think to give the creator of the killer track some direction as to where to go, what to do next, maybe even give it a listen--they always do anyway, its a curiosity thing. And of course above anything else it will be your choice but my role will be to make this FUN!!!
 Wayner send me a PM if you get time and we'll chat this up a bit...this could be pretty neat!!

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
hey could be fun. I'm in, can provide a tune from a cd I did (instrumental) and if I have time and there is any interest I can record a blues piece as well. keep me posted..
lou

eclein

• Facilitator
Lou- I just checked out your website, how about we do a remote setup and record a song or 12 with the mountains in view...now that would be COOL!!!

(the next part is for everybody)
Ok we got two guys...I'm diggin through my crap to see if I have anything resembling a decent tune so lets make 2-1/3 people...LOL.
And we could also take anonymous submissions if you don't want your name out there, you'd send me the file or whatever we figure out-I'm not giving up anybodies name so your secret will be safe...I may be the first anonymous guy...LOL.

Also we need input from an IT type guy someone we can let setup whatever is necessary or give us an idea of what would  be needed, I'm thinking we'd need some space on a server somewhere to put the tunes and make that accessible to members here...but I really don't have the expertise or understanding to pull it off..and maybe thats not the best idea so feel free folks to put out some ideas on this...guys Lou has mountains to jam with how cool is that!!!!  LOL

TONEPUB

Morpheus is the worst pressing plant in the world....

Getting something mastered by a decent engineer will take $5-10k (Steve Hoffman's not terribly busy these days,
he might even do it for $3k) and getting it pressed at someplace like RTI or Pallas would probably be another $5k if
they could even fit you into the schedule.

Be fashion forward and do it as a 24/96 download.

eclein

• Facilitator
Digital for the first time is easiest, cost effective and less of a PITA...digital it is! My first semi-executive decision-cool.
No restriction or minimum requiremen of resolution..lets have fun and anything goes...MP3,WAV anything but FLAC for now...we just need the tunes and we can always refine the quality wherever possible--we are not a record label, we're a bunch of folks who enjoy music both listening and playing..lets keep this FUN.

Voice your idea/s but remember in the end this must be easily accessible for all to get involved, not too overly tech other than "send it here" and "click here to listen"... :thumb:

Wayner

Now we're talkin'. A couple of mine are over 50 megs, and I want to deliver them in a .WAV file in the 16/44.1 format, so I'm thinking I would burn them onto a CD-R and send them to you. Otherwise, it would take some time to e-mail as my speed rate is slow, slower, slowest (128).

I think there needs to be a rule or two to this as well. First, all the music, by US law is copyrighted already, and is the sole property of the owner and needs to be treated as any other music (no copying and giving it to buddies). Secondly, since the music is going to be from AC members only, the CD produced from this should be available to AC members only.

Now, suppose we have enough to fill up a CD, how would the CD get taken care of? Are you going to just make CD-Rs to order and ship them? I assume that there will be a small fee (for shipping, handling, materials, time)? Will the CD have a label so that there are names and credits assigned to each track?

Maybe the CDs should be made by a CD house and made with a label, like the Audiocircles T shirts, etc?
Who pays up front, or screw all that and keep it as simple as possible?

Wayner

eclein

• Facilitator
Wayner--all good points...especially the copyright thing which was getting me a bit edgy--I'd hate to see someone's stuff get stolen as it happened to me once and only once.

I'm thinking lets keep it simple but your correct anything in wav is goona be big so we can't just email files around...we could do like your proposing send them to me for starters...if we want to post them here somewhere as mp3 files to stream or download with a log in to do so...we''ll cross that bridge when we get there and it will be a group decision....Wayner I'll send you a PM with my info so you can send me whatever, whenever your ready...worse case is I get to hear some of your stuff if this idea goes south...Ok lets do this!!!!

nathanm

Morpheus is the worst pressing plant in the world....

I dunno, I have no opinion one way or another, it was just a random search.

Steve Hoffman? *pshaw* I will gladly offer to push the Turbo Bass button AND the "Crush" Peak-Limitier plugin preset in Pro Tools for a mere $2000!  :P

eclein

• Facilitator
I'll do it for $10....

nathanm

Did I mention that you will also get a STICKER that says "Remastered" on it?  The sticker will be in metallic gold foil as well.

santacore

Nice nathanm, you win! Gold stickers make everything seem better.

Why don't you guys use an FTP server or a site like Dropbox. That way people can upload any format/resolution they want, and others can download whichever tracks they want. It seems silly to waste media, and limit resolution to 16/44. There is free software out there to do this, so it wouldn't add any cost.

Just my 2 cents, carry on.......

eclein

• Facilitator
santacore--Great idea, I was thinking Dropbox myself but wasn't able to sit and check it out even though I have it and use it....LOL. My initial take on this was to do something like that, put the files there in whatever format the sender sends and let people pick and chose...no muss not much fuss...so far we got Two contributors...we need more but hey I'll start it off small...heck who cares...off to look at Dropbox in detail...

santacore

Dropbox is pretty universal, and should work great. The only issue is there is a 2gb limit on the free accounts, which could be a factor if you get lots of interest.

If Dropbox doesn't work out, I might be willing to host on my FTP.

eclein

• Facilitator
santacore--Sounds like a plan to me...

Whats everybody think?? Lets get tunes first and then simply put them somewhere so members from audiocircle can have at them, if the idea proves to be something we should run with more we'll run...you'll run, I'll still be using at least a cane I think..LOL..its all good...so how do we drum up some more contributors??

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
sounds cool, my suggestion is,   one step at a time. 
#1 get the tunes  (wav is best as that is what you will need to master, at least for a good job) btw Jeff is right mastering is an art just pushing the buttons in pro tools does not a good recording make.  anyhow get the tunes and let people hear the rough cuts, get some idea of what to par it down to from member feedback.
#2 do some basic mastering and put it up in digital format
# 3 if it makes it this far and sounds good... and members think that the investment in a CD run can be recouped, think about finding some one with real chops to volunteer for a good mastering. at that point if it does make it to CD then it should of course be available to anyone.   if it's of interest and decent enough it could be a fund raising tool? maybe half proceeds go to AC and half to whatever event is selling it? ie:RMAF?

again back to step one first is get the tunes! and to reiterate if a submitted tune is on MP3 or Lossless etc that will not be of decent enough quality for a CD.  lets try to get the submissions all in wav.  they can always be posted in other formats but at least we won't have the situation of being ready to master and then finding some of the selected tunes can't be used. 

best,
lou