Musicians you hear that make you pick up your instrument!!!

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I just got to thinking about what musicians I hear that really get me head bobbin and looking for my drumsticks to play along, for me its not always a drummer...Larry Carlton's First solo album-self titled- has a cut whhere he just rips it up start to finish--"Point It Up" , if you never heard it, find it, buy it, try it however and tell me what you think??
That tune always gets me going, always, when I was in the hospital everyday before physical therapy I would throw on some headphones and "Point It Up" would get me psyched everytime...

Crimson

Re: Musicians you hear that make you pick up your instrument!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:21 pm »
David Gilmour. Always. Hasn't gotten old yet, and I don't think it ever will. One of the first solos I ever learned was Comfortably Numb.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:04 pm »
Trey Gunn and his "Warr Guitar"!!

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:14 pm »
Thats a cool axe!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:22 pm »
Sting-"Message In a Bottle"

I heard that song as a kid and told my dad I wanted to play that.  Bass lessons started shortly after and the rest is history. 

It even got him to pick the sax back up.   8)

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:03 pm »
Jason..whats your current fav. Bass?? One you own and play all the time??

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:17 pm »
Hearing Clifford Brown, Charlie Parker, early Coltrane makes me want to practice.

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:48 pm »
I was inspired by musicians who were less technically skilled but who still make great songs.  The guys who are amazing are fun to watch, but they look like freaks of nature.   When you're starting out and you can actually play a song from a band you like it brings the idea of playing down to earth.  It's more accessible.  The musician is no longer on an unreachable pedestal.  For me it was Leif Edling.  Although I never SAW him play, his riffs were great and I was able to pick them up by ear.

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:36 pm »
I never saw Jeff Beck play until I bought "Live at Ronnie Scotts" and I never realized he plays or picks with the side of his thumb alot...something I used to do when trying to just start out and probably alot of people pick up a guitar for the first time and pick it with their thumb, hes turned that into an art form and even though I knew and heard how good he was it really wasn't until I sat and watched that blu-ray a couple times that I realized how friggin amazing he is..effortless old school and rips it up like a switch turns on.....

pjchappy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:41 pm »
David Gilmour.

:bowdown:

Paul

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:32 pm »
Randy Rhoad and Eddie Van Halen got me going.

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:38 pm »
Randy Rhoad-I am not familiar with him?

orientalexpress

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:00 pm »
Randy Rhoad-I am not familiar with him?
He's one the best Rock guitarist of my time ,He's make everything sound good .The guy just amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ER3SsLQY8

lapsan

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
Oh that guy!!! My time also..oops I'm 53 so I get it...

Minn Mark

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2011, 03:48 pm »
Chet Atkins. Always and forever.

Mark

Eric

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:46 pm »
Julian Bream

srb

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:58 pm »
Bill Evans, Eliane Elias, Bud Powell and Art Tatum.  Even though my piano is electronic, at 209 lbs. I just sit down to it as it is still too difficult to pick up.

If I played guitar, Biréli Lagrène would definitely make me pick it up.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2011, 08:46 pm »
This is a tough one because I listened to  everything when I was a kid and got my first guitar in second grade.  I was a big fan of Roy Clark and Elvis (Scotty Moore on guitar) as a kid because that's what was in my parent's collection, as I got older, other guitarists made me want to pick up  the instrument including Ace Frehley (in the mid-70's!, Tommy Iommi, and Jimi when I was in my teens. 

James Taylor is an amazing artist who I have always admired.  He's known as one of the greatest singers but he is a very underrated guitarist.  I love his playing because he never tries to be flashy but he plays some interesting stuff that compliments his voice perfectly.  I can't think of anyone who does this better and made me want to sing and play guitar more than JT.  Here is a clip of one of my favorites!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwugjyeSKx4&feature=related

Okay, laugh all you want, but to a 11 or 12 year old Jackman (his Les Paul knockoff guitar in hand), there was no cooler guitarist than Ace.  This clip features Frehley at his finest, before drinking and hard living took the edge off of his skills.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvtJ2npPiA

In 1979, Van Halen came along and in my mind, at the time, there was no cooler axe man than Eddie Van Halen.  I had to get a guitar with locking whammy bar (Floyd Rose) and overdrive pedal.  During this time, I never played any actual songs, just practiced "tricks" on the guitar..over and over.  It was fun for me but not so much for my parents.  My playing never sounded like Eddie or like music foor that matter, but it was a blast.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lwocmL9dQ&feature=related

mfsoa

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:10 pm »
It works the other way for me - Maybe because I know (or believe) I lack that "something" that the great drummers have, I get discouraged when I see a timekeeper with that natural gift.

I saw John Scofield with some drummer I had never seen before. I thought it was the greatest drumming performance I had ever seen and I thought "Holy Crap, I've never heard of this guy and he's THAT GOOD!!  Why should I ever pick up a stick again..."

Fortunately, I later found out that the dude was Dennis Chambers, who is certainly among the drumming elite in the world!  I have such great taste...

-Mike

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:48 pm »
When I first went to LA my buddy tossed me a phonebook sized publication of all the registered, dues paying members of the local musicians union. There was a really big section of the book for drummers only, then percussionists, etc and I remember the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I saw the tremendous amount. Then in a effort to ease my mind he said look how many pages are devoted to Guitar or Keyboards-it was easily triple the amount but it didn't make me feel any better. LOL :rotflmao: