Driver time alignment

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Driver time alignment
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:20 am »
This looks much better.

1=tweeter, 2=midrange, 3=woofer

If you have cursors in the program, I would measure the offset times accurately and use those for the time offsets. 

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:04 am »
HAL, unless Jim already has time delays in his crossover, I don't see how that can be... see the speaker cutout below  :scratch:

Now, I'm not a speaker builder so feel free to tell me to piss off, but why wouldn't one physically align the coils of the drivers in the first place?  I'm sure there are other considerations.  You'd have to dispence with the single box design, I suppose, and in doing so efficiency. 

Jim - see speaker cutout above. Regardless of what you do, you need to measure the time delay as it's not directly related to the voice coils etc.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:15 am »
The 0.21mSec delay from the tweeter to mid equate to 2.9".  I could believe that for the horn.  The woofer looks a bit long in delay.

He did say he has the new XO inline.  Not sure what the delay through the filters are.

Easy enough to measure with something like my DCX2496.  I just measure the time delay through each filter with CLIO. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:20 am »
HAL, unless Jim already has time delays in his crossover, I don't see how that can be... see the speaker cutout below  :scratch:

Jim - see speaker cutout above. Regardless of what you do, you need to measure the time delay as it's not directly related to the voice coils etc.
Thanks, however, I confused you.  I only said voice coils as a reference point.  What I meant was that the center of each driver be in physical alignment.  But, in my case, too, there is a small delay to the high frequency signal to time align with the mid/bass drivers' delivery.

JDUBS

« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:29 am »
I appreciate all the help, fellas.  I'm going to take some additional measurements this weekend and try out your techniquie, JohnR.

Thanks again and I will report back.

-Jim

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:50 am »
What I meant was that the center of each driver be in physical alignment.

Yes, but to know where the "center" of the driver is acoustically I believe that you need to measure it acoustically :) So the measurement will be needed even if you are going to time-align them physically.