Anyone tring to lose weight? How about an AC version of Biggest Loser!???

jackman

Hey everyone, it's that time of year when we all start thinking about losing those few extra pounds we may have packed on during the winter (at least those of us in the Midwest who are cooped up indoors during the cold months).  I'd like to track my weight weekly on a thread with other people who are in the same boat. 

Maybe we can have a friendly competition on who can lose the most weight or at least a thread (sticky) on how we did in the weight loss area during the week. This would not be a thread in which people would insult other people for what they weigh or how little weight they lost (or gained), that would not be allowed.  I'm thinking about a thread in which people could support others and provide advice on weight loss.  Each person would establish a goal and post their results on a sticky thread.

Please note, if you have medical issues, please see a doctor and do not take unnecessary chances.  Also, this isn't a thread on crash dieting and maybe it shouldn't be a competition like theTV show.  Maybe a thread where people post their current stats, goals and update on a weekly basis.

Is there any interest in such a thread?  I'm in!

Stu Pitt

I'm in.  I lost some weight (30 lbs) last Spring/Summer.  Combination of sensible diet and exercise.  I stopped working out in August due to moving (had no energy to move and work out), and didn't start again, as my wife and I had our first child on November 27th.  Just started working out again one week ago tomorrow.

My goal is another 25-30 lbs or so.  Not in a hurry to get there by any means; I took my time last time, and it worked out so well.

I started at 235, and am currently 205.  I think 175 - 180 is a realistic weight.  I'm 5'10 on a good day, but my body type doesn't fit on the BMI charts.

How I lost weight the last time - Total Gym and a sensable diet.

I 99% cut out soda.  I was drinking about 3 20oz bottles a day.  750 empty calories a day and enough sugar to put me on a borderline diabetic state.  I ate when I was hungry, and stopped when I started to get full.  The biggest difference maker for me was breakfast.  I now always eat breakfast within an hour of waking up.  And lots of water - not to artificially fill up, but to keep metabolism up and have zero added calories.

Working out with the Total Gym was great.  I'd do a workout of 3 sets of 12 reps of 5-6 exercises 4 times a week.  My routine took me about 25 minutes to do.  I didn't take a break longer than a sip of water a few times during working out.

Another huge help was chocolate milk.  Sounds stupid, doesn't it?  It's the best recovery or 'sports drink' there is.  Protein, carbs, fat, a little sugar, vitamins, calcium, potassium, and on and on.  8 oz isn't a lot, so don't think there's no way you can drink it right after a workout.  I drank one 8 oz container of 1% organic chocolate milk after every workout.

The latest research suggests drinking 8 oz of chocolate milk 3 times a day - 1st thing in the morning, mid day, and before bed - can have great weight loss benefits.  Sounds stupid at first, but the logic behind it makes a lot of sense, and the research is backing it up.

If you're interested on me elaborating on any of this stuff or need some advice, I'll help you out as much as I can.  I have a bit of a background on exercise physiology, as the conversation we had about a different matter would indicate.

Last thing...  If you're tracking your weight, be consistant with the conditions that you're weighing yourself.  I weighed myself in the morning after going to the bathroom, before eating and drinking anything, and with no clothes on.  Wearing a different outfit, eating, drinking, etc will all make a big difference if you're tracking your weight.  You'll weigh different amounts different times of the day due to eating habits and bathroom habits.  The key to getting an accurate weight is consistancy.  Use the same scale too.  Even if it's off a few pounds, it should be pretty consistant.

I'd love to use my Total Gym again, but my 3 month old daughter makes that tough.  I recently started dropping her off at day care, and have to work out in between that and getting in the office.  Fortunately, the college I work at has a good fitness center that's pretty slow when I get there.

I'm rambling here.  Sorry!  Even if we're the only ones doing this, I think it'll be a good thing.  Just be carefull with that arm!

Stu Pitt

Last thing for now...

Make sure you pay as much, if not more attention to what you drink as what you eat.  Way too many people consume way too many calories this way.

A good reference for food and drink calories information in an easy to understand text is the Eat This, Not That! series.  Pretty cheap too.  Men's Health magazine is another great resource.  They have a lot of very well respected people in the health and fitness industry contributing.  The Eat This books are published by the same people.

JohnR

I think I'm just about there (but then I've had all summer already!) - 70 kg.

I've taken a pretty simple approach. Cut out the sugary foods, no soft drinks (soda) - except as alcoholic drink mixer, that's allowed  :wine:, less bread and pasta and less refined whereever possible, and the part that everybody loves: no meat. Whatever you think about the last part, think of it this way: what do you substitute for it - fish and vegetables. And that's not a bad thing.

For exercise, at least 30 minutes of something every day - yoga, swimming, walking. Two if I can. And make it enjoyable, so then it gets done.

I have no scientific studies to back this up! It seems to work for me though :) The challenge will be to keep it going during winter, I need to dig up my old rollerblades I think.

underdog64

I have stayed very fit over the last couple of years.I eat a healthy diet with a lot of lean protein and fiber and one of the best tips I can give in regards to food is a protein shake made of skim milk,one scoop of whey protein and about one handful of frozen blue berries.The calcium in skim milk helps burn fat along with the whey and blueberries increase insulin sensitivity along with providing filling fiber (and are about only 70 calories per cup).I have at least two shakes per day-sometimes 3 and it has really helped me to stay shredded.

horchai

Losing weight is a combination of 4 important components:

1) Diet
2) Exercise
3) Adequate rest
4) Desire to lose weight

It's really OK to fall off track. Just remember to get back on track immed once u discover it  :D

jackman

Thanks guys for your comments. 

Winter is a real challenge in the Midwest (of the USA) because everyone hybernates and it's difficult to do as much outdoor cardio.  Don't get me wrong, I see die-hard people running and a few bike riders but bike riding around here is dangerous because it gets dark early and the shoulders of the roads are usually covered with lots of snow. 

Anyone who is thinking about joining this thread to track progress should include the following:

Date:
Starting Weight:
Current Weight:
Target Weight:

It's not just about weight.  If you are a runner or cyclist, you can swap weight for miles, etc.  Having to put down your weekly progress can be a good way to keep everyone "honest".  I am friends with some extreme athletes who track every minute of wokout, evey bit of food they eat and all of their key workout data.  That's too extreme and time consuming for me but I'd like to at least track my weight.  Even though I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time, my weight is still preventing me fromo finishing at the front of the pack in my cycling.  Twenty or thirty pounds would take care of that.  Will post weight info later today.

Cheers,

J

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
I think I'm just about there (but then I've had all summer already!) - 70 kg.

I've taken a pretty simple approach. Cut out the sugary foods, no soft drinks (soda) - except as alcoholic drink mixer, that's allowed  :wine:, less bread and pasta and less refined whereever possible, and the part that everybody loves: no meat. Whatever you think about the last part, think of it this way: what do you substitute for it - fish and vegetables. And that's not a bad thing.

For exercise, at least 30 minutes of something every day - yoga, swimming, walking. Two if I can. And make it enjoyable, so then it gets done.

I have no scientific studies to back this up! It seems to work for me though :) The challenge will be to keep it going during winter, I need to dig up my old rollerblades I think.

John, if you are a type "O" blood type not eating meat is not a good thing. Now if you are type "A" than being a veggie is very god for you.
  We have been following the diet plan for our blood types. I lost 30 pounds and my cancer surviving wife over 40 pounds.
  we eat more than ever but the foods that make our metalbolism work properly. Absobing the good stuff and eliminating the waste properly.
 Please check out the book by Dr Peter Adamo " Eat Right for Your Type" It is science not opinion and works. The CancerTreatment Center uses this diet and has cured many.
  No hype no supplements to buy nada just the information you need. It has changed our lives for te good. Give it a look and see for yourself.

charles

soundbitten1

Losing weight is a combination of 4 important components:

1) Diet
2) Exercise
3) Adequate rest
4) Desire to lose weight

It's really OK to fall off track. Just remember to get back on track immed once u discover it  :D

Wise advice that is simple and effective.   :beer:

JohnR

Thanks Charles but I don't need to buy or subscribe to any theories... as I said this is already working for me... ta ;)

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
I started in earnest at the first of the year.  Down 24 pounds so far. 

Sensible diet, eat every 2 hours, no more than 25g of fat per day, exercise mildly at home 3 days a week, strenuous at the gym 3 days a week, 1 day rest.

Bryan

jackman

Wise advice that is simple and effective.   :beer:

I agree with your comments but with a caviat.  All four factors are not created equal.  I believe diet accounts for 80% of weight loss while exercise accounts for 20%.  Don't get me wrong, both are very important to overall health and fitness, but many people assume they are burning way more calories while exercising than they really are. The 20% influence of exercise is important, but it's easy to get frustrated when you  are working out for hours a day and not seeing results because you have not adjusted your diet (especially if you have poor eating habbits). 

Many people complain about gaining weight when they begin a fitness program. These complaints are often met with comments about "gaining muscle".  This is usually not the case.  People often overeat and gain weight when they begin a workout regiment because they believe they can just work off the extra pizza or 32oz steak with a couple extra minutes on the treadmill or eliptical.  This is usually not the case and they wind up getting fatter and frustrated because their workout routine is not "working".  I am one of these people! 

In the end, a sensible, balanced, consistent approach is always best for long-term results.  Unfortunately, this is less appealing to most people.  Most of us (okay, I'm being honest) want fast results, even if the current state (overweight and out of shape) took years to develop.   :duh:

I'm hoping this thread helps people (and me) learn about how we can make better choices to meet our health and fitness goals.  Also, if someone's goal is unrealistic, maybe other people can help shed light on safe and effective alternatives. 

Lastly, I'm not interested in the fad of the month.  Every year, there are a multitude of new weight loss methods.  Some are dusted off versions of basic diets but some are dangerous fads developed by people looking to cash in on the pandemic of an overweight and out of shape population. 

I once lost 50 lbs in a really short time on the Adkins diet.  It was relatively easy and the weight just flew off...almost as fast as the 60 lbs I gained back a few months later.  My only regret is not taking more pictures of the slim version of me to show my son who wasn't born at the time! :thumb:

JoshK

I've been trying to do the fish substitute for my usual red meat fetish.  I can deal with this compromise. 

Bigfish

If you run an AC Version of the Biggest Loser, count me in.  I have been looking for help in getting motivated to lose the pounds. 

Thanks,

Ken

soundbitten1

I agree with your comments but with a caviat.  All four factors are not created equal.  I believe diet accounts for 80% of weight loss while exercise accounts for 20%.  Don't get me wrong, both are very important to overall health and fitness, but many people assume they are burning way more calories while exercising than they really are. The 20% influence of exercise is important, but it's easy to get frustrated when you  are working out for hours a day and not seeing results because you have not adjusted your diet (especially if you have poor eating habbits). 

Many people complain about gaining weight when they begin a fitness program. These complaints are often met with comments about "gaining muscle".  This is usually not the case.  People often overeat and gain weight when they begin a workout regiment because they believe they can just work off the extra pizza or 32oz steak with a couple extra minutes on the treadmill or eliptical.  This is usually not the case and they wind up getting fatter and frustrated because their workout routine is not "working".  I am one of these people! 

Through experience I agree with your premise. I used to exercise a lot harder and still gain weight because I wasn't watching my calories intake and felt "entitled" to eat what I wanted. With age my intensive exercise has tapered off and replaced with more gentle forms (of exercise) and more sensible eating habits. It has worked. I've managed to lose weight and stay in shape without the stress of trying to be a world class athlete.

Stu Pitt

There is a magic formula or secret to weight loss.  Horchai summed it up pretty good...

Eat sensibly
Exercise within your limits
Exercise consistently
Get enough rest

Here's one I thought I wrote about earlier, but left it out...

Watch your condiments.  People put together a healthy sandwich, and slather the thing with way too much mayo, dressing, etc.  I don't think people realize how bad this stuff is.  I'd be willing to bet there's more calories in the mayo the sub makers at Subway  put on the sub than the sub itself.  It's absurd.

One condiment that's pretty much impossible to can't over-do - mustard.  Not honey-mustard or anything fancy, just plain mustard.

mcgsxr

Agreed on the condiments, and the mustard recommendation.

Amazing to see the salt and sugar content of some of the other sauces.

Turkey with mustard, and all the veggies you can stand makes for a great sub.

jackman

Salad dressings are a really big culpret.  Most are high in fat and many people use them at 3 or 4 times the recommended usage.  Salads are supposed to be healthy but some dressings can make that less of a good thing...

Stu Pitt

Salad dressings are a really big culpret.  Most are high in fat and many people use them at 3 or 4 times the recommended usage.  Salads are supposed to be healthy but some dressings can make that less of a good thing...

Hence the reason why a Big Mac was healthier than a salad at Mickey D's a few years ago.  The serving size of most dressings is about a tablespoon.  Have you ever seen anyone use a tablespoon full?   Either have I.  More like 10 tablespoons. 

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
I'm afraid I've pretty much lost mine...

Had a lap band in 2006.  Haven't done any drastic exercise or diet change other than those required by the lap band.  Lost from 426 to a current weight of 268 and counting (down).  Slow weight loss is the key...my doctor always told me that an average of no more than 2-3 pounds a week is best.  Something about rapid weight loss keeps the body from keeping it off.  Don't know how true that really is, and yes I've used a CHEAT...but frankly Scarlett I don't care.  It's worked and it's stayed off.

Anyone have any questions about the lap band, I'd be glad to try and answer them.  It's NOT a panacea by any stretch of the imagination.