RLL1

Re: BDP-1 REVIEWS
« Reply #120 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:19 pm »
Oh the temptation! Do I get one now, or do I wait?   :dunno:

SHV

« Reply #121 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:20 pm »
Nice review.  However, when I read this:
 "I experimented with various vibration-evacuation cones and isolation devices beneath the BDP-1’s chassis, but they all added frequency-specific colorations that compromised its fundamental coherence."

It reminded me why I stopped reading audio mags a decade ago.  I think it was about the time that Stereophile started extolling the sound improvement derived from exotic African wood pucks placed on top of amps or inserted into the lower GI tract; I can't remember which gave the best result.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #122 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:31 pm »
 "I experimented with various vibration-evacuation cones and isolation devices beneath the BDP-1’s chassis, but they all added frequency-specific colorations that compromised its fundamental coherence."

It reminded me why I stopped reading audio mags a decade ago.  I think it was about the time that Stereophile started extolling the sound improvement derived from exotic African wood pucks placed on top of amps or inserted into the lower GI tract; I can't remember which gave the best result.

Steve

Hi Steve,

If I remember correctly I think the African pucks lost out to the Canadian (hockey) pucks  :thumb:

james

saveloy

« Reply #123 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:14 pm »
Hi Steve,

If I remember correctly I think the African pucks lost out to the Canadain (hockey) pucks  :thumb:

james

James,

We could do with some of those flying pucks over here right now.  The kids are tearing up the city.

Fantastic review, James.  It sums up how I feel about the BDP-1. 
On so many occasions I've sat down & queued up a list of music tracks - resisting the temptation to replay tunes I've already heard.  And the next few hours have turned into an emotional experience.  It sounds silly, I know, but I've been left tearful and aghast at the whole feel of the music. 
It isn't simply great sound anymore, it's pure joy & perfection! 
The BDP-1 is something to be relished.  Like a big, fat meal after a huge beer binge, but without any of the consequences.  And I am so very proud to own it. 

James, this is your passion & your livelihood.  But don't ever under estimate the impact of your work.  For me, it is the realisation that what I desire can be achieved, built and live in my home.  Thank you so very much again. 

Kyri

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #124 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:19 pm »
Oh the temptation! Do I get one now, or do I wait?   :dunno:

Order one now!

I ordered one last week and it (along with a BDA-1) will arrive tomorrow.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #125 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:22 pm »

Steve

I saw this too and scratched my head.

I have my digital source, preamp, and power conditioning on a Sistrum rack and amps on Silent Running Audio platforms and they definitely don't add colorations.

The BDP-1 and BDA-1 will go on the top level of my Sistrum SP-4 rack for now.  I will use something between the two pieces until I get an additional shelf for the SP-4 in the coming weeks.

George

saveloy

« Reply #126 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:46 pm »
I run my system with the 'mute' button firmly ON.
That way it isn't susceptible to any vibration travelling through the ether.

Kyri

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #127 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:20 pm »
http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/08/ultimate-digital-source-tad-d600-cdsacd.html

Read the story before telling me this is not a review for the BDP. 8)

jjc1

« Reply #128 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:41 pm »
 :lol:

Steve

Steve
If you really want to read a load of c..p, read Sam Tellig's column in the latest Stereophile. $4,000 for voo doo that changes the air in your room (but only if the windows are closed).

jjc1

« Reply #129 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Absolute Sound Review on Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/REVIEWS-PRESS/bdp1+bda1_Absoule_Sound_reprint.pdf

(1.3MB)

james
James, in the sidebar, the author claims that the S/PDIf connection was superior to the AES/EUB connection. You seem to disagree (or at least did when I bought my BDP1).  Any thoughts on this?
Congrats on a fabulous review. Now when will the rest of Audiophilia realize what a great product and ground breaking achievment the BDP1 is.

Steve

Steve
If you really want to read a load of c..p, read Sam Tellig's column in the latest Stereophile. $4,000 for voo doo that changes the air in your room (but only if the windows are closed).

BrysTony

« Reply #130 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:33 pm »
http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/08/ultimate-digital-source-tad-d600-cdsacd.html

Read the story before telling me this is not a review for the BDP. 8)

Maybe the reviewer was a little confused about what he was reviewing.  He certainly was confused about what he was listening to.  His favorite Jennifer Warnes CD, "The Well" does not include the song "Ode to Billie Joe" and I don't think she ever recorded that song.

Tony

Marius

« Reply #131 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:32 pm »
He sure was wrong on the NAS thing too..

In fact it all makes these kind of reviews quite unreliable not to say useless. Too bad really.

Marius

Maybe the reviewer was a little confused about what he was reviewing.  He certainly was confused about what he was listening to.  His favorite Jennifer Warnes CD, "The Well" does not include the song "Ode to Billie Joe" and I don't think she ever recorded that song.

Tony

SHV

« Reply #132 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:52 pm »
"I run my system with the 'mute' button firmly ON.
That way it isn't susceptible to any vibration travelling through the ether. "
That is F'ing  brilliant.  16 years of higher education in science wasted; using the mute button never occurred to me.

My cat is causing standing wave interference in the Ether which induces quantum instability in the interconnect between my BDA/BDP.  The $50,000 un-obtainium interconnect didn't correct the problem and probably induced secondary/tertiary harmonic colorations in the equipment rack.  Using the mute button has solved the problem.

Thanks

Steve 

P.S.  Maybe I should try the $4k air thingy?

saveloy

« Reply #133 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:24 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I commend your efforts.  I, though, am going to follow a different course.
I'm presently under-pinning my house. But not with any of that nasty, rigid concrete stuff. I'm transplanting it for a delicate mix of sorbothane and strawberry jelly(jello to you Americans).
Those pesky vibrations will never make it through to my living room!

Kyri

SHV

« Reply #134 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »
"Those pesky vibrations will never make it through to my living room! "
Keep us informed on the progress of this important project.  Maybe Sam Tellig will recognize you efforts.

I think that the jelly idea has merit.  My felis domesticus induced frequency-specific colorations that compromises the BDA/BDP's  fundamental coherence is related to motion of said felis inducing quantum entanglement of the interconnect electrons with a BDP analog located in M85.  Shun Moon Mpingo discs seemed to improve the coloration but worsened the fundamental coherence.

I am currently doing home re-model so adding a few thousand kilos of jelly to the foundation shouldn't pose a significant problem.

Steve

saveloy

« Reply #135 on: 12 Aug 2011, 08:25 pm »
Jeezus, Steve!  Preparation - preparation - preparation, my friend.
You must get the details just right. Jelly to water ratio, pouring angle ambient temperature and flow rate.
Once I perfect the formula I'll pass on the tweakery secrets.

Kyri

headshrinker2

« Reply #136 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:06 am »
James,
Congrats on the outstanding review in Absolute Sound.  Thanks for posting the PDF file.  I actually went to Barnes and Noble tonight hoping to pick up the latest issue, but they didn't have it yet. 

I think you just might sell a few BDP-1's......

:thumb:

Alpha10

« Reply #137 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:28 am »
^^^^

I am so glad I got mine before the big queue formed  :D

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:57 pm »
Sent: August-17-11 12:31 PM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: BDP-1

Hi James;

Got my BDP-1 hooked up

It sounds good - really, really good! I thought I’d done a decent job of building a music server (and I did), but it’s not a BDP-1. It’s not a “wow” type of difference, but more of a qualitative thing – with the BDP-1 it’s easier to hear into the soundstage and follow the individual instruments in the mix. It’s quite intoxicating; it’s hard to stop listening. That’s just my first impression - I’ll have more to say after some serious comparative listening. I’m definitely in ENJOY mode.

I can access the BDP-1 both through Google Chrome, and with Mpod on my Ipod. Works great.

Thanks,
Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:15 am »
"I can tell you that in the last two years I have heard a lot of CD players, music servers, and streamers.  The BDP-1 for me is clearly at the top of the heap, regardless of price point, and by a wide margin."

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-media-servers/music-servers/bryston-bdp-1-digital-file-player.html

james