BCD-1 Issue

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: BCD-1 Issue
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2011, 03:15 pm »
From engineering:

The laser unit could be the problem if the BCD1 plays discs sometimes but other times it won't.

If certain discs consistently fail to play while others play without any problem,
more than likely, these discs contain a data track or other non-redbook files,
or a copy protection the BCD1 can't handle

James:  This is perplexing as I regularly play copyright-controlled and enhanced discs with additional content in my BCD-1 without issue but the two examples I had picked out to send along with the unit have neither " feature" and will not play in the unit but will play in anything else I have tried. In the BCD-1 they just spin and you can hear the drive making faint thunking noises but the discs don't read. This is consistently the case with the discs in question. Unclear as to whether I should proceed to send the unit in as I would prefer not to subject it to the ravages of FedEx if it's just going to come back "no fault found"...  Please advise.

D.D.

rmurray

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2011, 04:04 pm »
I think it was asked before that in a worst case situation the Phillips drive could be changed to some other cd-rom or what ever would work. I think James wrote that this is possible if there's room in the chassis. I hope to use my CD-1 for as long as I can enjoy it's amazing performance. Playing redbook material is my prime thing. :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2011, 04:21 pm »
That's what happens when you get 'em wet !
Hey, look what the BCD-1 just spit out...

D.D.

Nice gremlin.... I'm saving it for future use... :lol:

I've heard Mike Pickett has a locker full of them, extracted from various pieces of Bryston gear....

Nap.  :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:47 pm »
James:  This is perplexing as I regularly play copyright-controlled and enhanced discs with additional content in my BCD-1 without issue but the two examples I had picked out to send along with the unit have neither " feature" and will not play in the unit but will play in anything else I have tried. In the BCD-1 they just spin and you can hear the drive making faint thunking noises but the discs don't read. This is consistently the case with the discs in question. Unclear as to whether I should proceed to send the unit in as I would prefer not to subject it to the ravages of FedEx if it's just going to come back "no fault found"...  Please advise.

D.D.

Ok great - we will have a close look.

james

Diamond Dog

« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2011, 09:47 pm »
 Hi James : Spoke with Mike this PM and the unit will be on it's way to you folks shortly. Thanks for your attention to this.  :thumb:

D.D.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #25 on: 8 Mar 2011, 09:01 pm »
James, can I purchase one of those complete  Phillips drives for insurance way down the road when there may none left?  :idea: :banana piano:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm »
James, can I purchase one of those complete  Phillips drives for insurance way down the road when there may none left?  :idea: :banana piano:

Sure - contact Mike Pickett.

james

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 9 Mar 2011, 01:02 am »
Cool. May we also order some of those masks that Mike wears in order to scare the gremlins:

http://compositeeffects.com/blog/product-catalog/silicone-masks/belial-mask/

Nap.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #28 on: 9 Mar 2011, 07:47 am »
Thanks James........... : :dance::

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:06 pm »
Hi James: As I go through my collection I have noticed that my BCD-1 will not read several discs which will play without issue in my laptop, DVR's, car stereo, the two other CDP's ( both with Phillips drives )  I own and my PS3. The discs are immaculately clean and show no visible damage. BCD-1 s/n is 1001394 and unit has exhibited this issue since day one - I have a fairly large collection and there are many discs I still have never played in my BCD-1 so it appears that the number of problematic discs may grow as more of them see the inside of my BCD-1. The unit appears unable to read them - the display says " Reading" and that's as far as I get - it will remain at this point until I eject the disc. Your thoughts ?

Thanks
D.D.

Hi DD,

Got your CD player and CD's today.  Enginering tells me:

Hi James,

The two CD's the customer included with his BCD1, both have a hidden first track.

As this does NOT conform to the CD Redbook standard, the BCD1 is unable to play these CD's.

Engineering

PS - if you copy it to a CDR it should work.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:48 pm »

The two CD's the customer included with his BCD1, both have a hidden first track.

As this does NOT conform to the CD Redbook standard, the BCD1 is unable to play these CD's.

Engineering

PS - if you copy it to a CDR it should work.

Hi James : Are the hidden tracks any good ? I haven't heard them... :D
Sounds like buying CD's is going to have an added element of anticipation now - will the BCD-1 play them or not?
There's no way of knowing whether a disc will have a hidden track on it until you buy it and load it, is there ? They don't normally show up on the track list.
I understand that the mission was to build a unit which would provide the best possible Redbook playback but
I'm surprised that it takes so little to throw this dog off the scent. Seems a little finicky for a unit built by a company I don't usually associate with the word "finicky" but ain't nothin' perfect in this life... :dunno:

Thanks for your efforts
D.D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:09 am »
Hi DD

Yes I realize it is an issue. I have never seen this type of hidden file before and I have no idea what it is. We only found it by putting it on a computer and serching for hidden files.  It really does not seem to affect many users though ... thankfully and if you rip a CDR of it it can be played by the BCD-1. We have a large number of players in the market and have for 4 years now and this type of file is a first. As you say the drive we used is a dedicated Redbook drive which has it's plus and minus's.

So I guess all I can do is point it out to any potential users of our CD Player.

James

Diamond Dog

« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:27 am »
Hi DD

Yes I realize it is an issue. I have never seen this type of hidden file before and I have no idea what it is. We only found it by putting it on a computer and serching for hidden files.  It really does not seem to affect many users though ... thankfully and if you rip a CDR of it it can be played by the BCD-1. We have a large number of players in the market and have for 4 years now and this type of file is a first. As you say the drive we used is a dedicated Redbook drive which has it's plus and minus's.

So I guess all I can do is point it out to any potential users of our CD Player.

James

Thanks, James. On the plus side, I've been listening to the units I used here until I bought my BCD-1 last year and the difference in sound quality is massive. Wonder how it would sound in conjunction with a BDA ? Could happen...

D.D.

Napalm

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:37 am »
Hi DD

Yes I realize it is an issue. I have never seen this type of hidden file before and I have no idea what it is. We only found it by putting it on a computer and serching for hidden files.  It really does not seem to affect many users though ... thankfully and if you rip a CDR of it it can be played by the BCD-1. We have a large number of players in the market and have for 4 years now and this type of file is a first.

Probably some of this stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_Mode_CD

Are they Sony-BMG CDs? (if yes I suspect the famous Sony rootkit)

Or do they have a marking like "Enhanced experience CD"?

http://judyanddavid.com/help/ecdfaq.html

If you send me a copy I will tell you what it is  8)

Nap.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #34 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:42 am »
Are they Sony-BMG CDs? (if yes I suspect the famous Sony rootkit)

Or do they have a marking like "Enhanced experience CD"?
Nap.

No and no. The mystery lives on...

D.D.

Napalm

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:57 am »
Maybe this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus_Data_Shield

How about letting us know the artist/title....

Nap.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #36 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:12 am »

Nap:  a) Calexico - Feast of Wire  ( high probability of "Cactus" here... :D )
        b) Muse - Hulabaloo soundtrack - 2nd ( live ) disc only - other disc reads fine
The Muse disc is an English import - nobody here knew who they were yet - on Taste / Warner. The Calexico disc is on a small indy label- don't know who the distribution was through ( wasn't Sony ).

D.D.

Napalm

« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:26 am »
Nap:  a) Calexico - Feast of Wire  ( high probability of "Cactus" here... :D )
        b) Muse - Hulabaloo soundtrack - 2nd ( live ) disc only - other disc reads fine
The Muse disc is an English import - nobody here knew who they were yet - on Taste / Warner. The Calexico disc is on a small indy label- don't know who the distribution was through ( wasn't Sony ).

D.D.

http://www.discogs.com/Calexico-Feast-Of-Wire/master/64032

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-20901.html

Now you know:

Nap.  :green:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #38 on: 21 Mar 2011, 05:54 pm »

This darn thing was at my CD player last year!

Be well...