Wow, have things changed, like I done an about face! (My story)

Quiet Earth

I have to go with Doug on this one. Better to get dirty than collect dust.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
On New Years eve I posted here about getting the server thing going this year and suddenly I find myself deep into Grado Headphone Mods...LOL...
Life has twists..

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
man!!! you ain't using the fancy stuff now - who cares it it gets beer spilled on it or if it gets dirty and dusty - you will be able to enjoy it!   :thumb:  and, you can always switch back & forth to the wintage ceiling rig any time you want!  :green:

doug s.
I have to go with Doug on this one. Better to get dirty than collect dust.

I hear ya! But I just don't think I can do it at least at this point, maybe tomorrow I will change my mind. I guess I have to give it some more time or blow something in my "Mancave" system. If I keep cranking it like I did last night, It may be sooner then later!
I mentioned the acoustics are good, I have acoustical tile on the ceiling and insulated walls with peg board over. Can't do that in my living room! Well I could but that will not get approval from anyone else!

Even with all my music downloaded at VBR, it just sounds great! My computer is in my home and I have a Cat 5 running 200 feet with a booster to a cheap OmniFi thingy in the Mancave that plays all 14000+ songs in shuffle! Plus I have matching DLK-3s in my 3 season porch ceiling so in the summer, I open all the mancave doors and the yard rocks!
A good variety of music keeps the neighbors happy!

I have taken naps on my park bench!  8)

budyog

Photos posted in my gallery!

simoon

I agree.  Good for you!  You've risen above the Audiophilia Nervosa and gotten back to what is most important about this hobby.

You seem to be creating a false dichotomy here.

Being an audiophile (I proudly declare myself one) and still being able to enjoy the music, are not mutually exclusive. 

Quiet Earth

Being an audiophile and still being able to enjoy the music are not mutually exclusive.

Totally agree with that!   :thumb:

budyog

Well I am doing it and I can't believe it! I am moving my in-home super AVA/ACI system to my detached Mancave! Moved my AVA 350 Amp, my AVA preamp (been so long, forgot which one, 7 something) and 1 of my Richard Gray 400s.
With my old system I had out in my Mancave, I used a EQ, well I am trying it without and so far it is not needed!
Tomorrow/today I move my ACI Panorama's and 1 of my ACI Maestro's!
I am in shock! My whole life has just took a made a major turn, for the better! Watched The Tubes "Live in London" and kicked my Mancave"s ass!
Wait till later today!

doug s.

• makin' music
 :thumb: :banana piano: :drums: :guitar: :thumb:

doug s.

Poultrygeist

Pennzoil and OB's have taken over my man cave.

budyog

I finally got my ACI Panoramas and 1 of my ACI Maestro’s out to my mancave! I did have to add back in the mix my Audio Control EQ. To many concert DVDs and music from my computer that just need a little tweaking plus I am past the point in my life of hearing music flat or how it comes off the DVD/CD, da, if you read any of my past post, you may know why!
I still have tweaking to do but it is sounding great and moving it to a place I enjoy so much was the best move I could have made!
Thanks to those who also made suggestion, got me thinking more serious!

I may be selling one of my Maestro’s, it is a 2nd, a blemish here or there, never paid attention, anyone interested? Let’s talk! 

doug s.

• makin' music
glad you're enjoying, but don't sell that other sub - stereo or multiple subs rock!   :wink:

doug s.

budyog

glad you're enjoying, but don't sell that other sub - stereo or multiple subs rock!   :wink:

doug s.

I know Doug, I had stereo subs for several years, 2 just will not work in my Mancave, no room at all. I had to do some work bench modification to get 1 to work!

Big Red Machine

How far of a reach is the fridge? :icon_lol:

budyog

Bottle or can, 8 feet from center :D Summit on tap in basement fridge, 55 feet from center :D :D

budyog

Photos of my now "Mancave" system! Speaks are up on shelves. AVA Preamp & amp, Audio control EQ, ACI Maestro & Panorama's, 1 Richard Gray 400 and an old OmniFi media reader that still works great! (and an Adcom speaker selector switch for outdoor speakers)

budyog

I guess this is not so "Cheep HiFi" anymore, but it sure is "Cheerful HiFi"!

charmerci

I can hear your tools rattling now!  :lol:

budyog

Better is not always better! Going back partly to cheap again!
   After several days of having fun and listening to the current system listed just above, ACI, AVA.... I removed the ACI Panorama's and put back in place the old but rebuilt DLK-3s!
2 reasons,
1) I also have a pair of DLK-3s in the ceiling of my porch connected to the same system and the efficiency level between the Panorama's and the 3s is a lot! The 3s would be blasting in the porch and the Panorama's would be at talking level in the garage. Being that they combine to make the great sound for the yard, it is just too drastic of a difference!
2) With the mancave bigger and more acoustical then my living room and with the Panorama's up near the ceiling on shelves sort of facing away from the listeners, to have a good rocking volume, I had to have the AVA 350 almost at full level and that is just running way too hot!

So now I am back to the DLK-3s, ACI Maestro, AVA amp & pre-amp, RG400 and the AC-EQ and it sounds very good and the Maestro can now be played above 1/4 volume, I want to keep the dust off of it!