Wow, have things changed, like I done an about face! (My story)

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Hi all, I haven't been here for a long time and this is why!

If you look at my information, I have a great home audio system, but things in life have changed so much I am not sure what to do!

I built a garage/shop 10 years ago that is very nice, 18 x 24 x 9 high. Well insulated and heated with great work lighting and great mood lighting, lava lamps and beer lights, pizza oven and carpeting.  I have also been building an audio system that is in my garage/shop/mancave that consist of music off my computer (14,500 songs) a Dynaco Pat 4 preamp (bought from a AC member), an Audio Control EQ, 2 custom 125 watt mono amps (out of business, but work great) a cheap 10” sub-woofer under my table saw and 2 rebuilt DLK-3s up on shelves upside-down near the ceiling. I just rebuilt them, re-foamed the woofers, removed the mid and tweeter volume control from the crossover. They sound great and re-foaming was easy!  I had them in storage for years.

It’s like I have turned into a Vintage Audio guy! But the garage/Mancave rocks! The system sounds great, the acoustics are great, the guys can come in, don’t have to remove shoes, got a nice 46”DLP TV and we have mega fun! We play Wii golf, bowling, table tennis etc. and then we watch concert dvds and I have hundreds of concert dvds! I was just voted best bar in my neighborhood!

I have not been in my living room or listened to my big system for almost 2 years! I find that CDs are boring without a concert video, I prefer shuffle play and I have found that I don’t listen to audio anymore, I listen to music!
This is just an about face for me with my whole life devoted to my home audio system and now not! I don’t have time to sit and I don’t like to sit, I like to dance and enjoy the music and we do in my mancave like never before! It’s like what concert do I want to go to tonight?

Not sure what I will do with my home system.  My wife and I do not watch many movies, and the whole theater thing does not move me. Would rather watch a concert DVD or a movie in the “Mancave”!

Just thought I would share my story.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
I'll give you $100 and even haul it off for you.  :lol: :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Do I hear $125

charles

MaxCast

$150 but I want pics of the mancave.   :)  Show us your cave man.

budyog

Guys!  :lol: 

I will try and post some pics. I have some, but they just don't represent the true look and feel of the "Mancave"! Hard to take good pics in the low lighting and you can't hear it!

I am not selling my big system!  :lol: Unless this auction keeps going up! Add some more zeros!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Zeros?  Hell, we have plenty of zeros in AC!   :lol:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Good for you, enjoy!

Ericus Rex

Good for you, enjoy!

I agree.  Good for you!  You've risen above the Audiophilia Nervosa and gotten back to what is most important about this hobby.

pardales

I agree.  Good for you!  You've risen above the Audiophilia Nervosa and gotten back to what is most important about this hobby.

Indeed. Just go with it, and let the good times roll.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
That's the risk of having multiple systems.  I have a basement mancave with the main audio rig (no its not for sale   :green:).  I have another system in the living room made up of "leftovers" from older systems.  And I have a HT system in the family room.

I listen to the main rig early mornings (I'm normally up by 4:30) and weekends, but plop in front of the HT most evenings.

I've thought about combining the systems, but the TV is for the family and I don't want to move out of the mancave; I'm too cheap to buy another TV and pay for another satelite box; and the mancave is sound optimized while the family room isn't. 

mcgsxr

I can understand where you are coming from.

I play my main system only when playing pool these days it seems.  Less time to dedicate to pure listening in that space.

My headphone rig has taken over as my work from home helmet too, really fun.

Quiet Earth

Don't leave your guitar sitting there all alone . . . .  :nono: Better take that into the mancave with you.  :D

A man cave with a pizza oven sounds like a good idea to me. :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
A man cave with a St. Pauli beer fraulein would be even better.  Music?  What music?   :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
i can understand perfectly.  but, maybe you like your man cave system so much because that's where you relax more.  i'd consider moving your main system into your cave; you don't have to remove the system already there.  then, put something less hi-end where your main system is, simply so you can have tunes there when needed...   8)

doug s.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I have not been in my living room or listened to my big system for almost 2 years!

So she hasn't let you back in the house for two years?  Man, you musta done sumpin' real bad.  Usually they let you back in sooner just so they can bitch at you about it.

Considering the possible collateral damage from this kinda woman, I'd have to charge you $1200 per man for security and $25,000 bond for bail in advance (contingencies and all) to get your stuff out.  You can do what you want with the equipment after I get it out for ya.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
My cave has an aisle to my recliner that I pilot daily and all along the way I'm surrounded by JBL speakers, signs, and general music related or gear related stuff--load up the cave..I don't drink anymore but the St. Pauli and tunes in a cave--PRICELESS!!!! :thumb:

tomwhite

Lets hope your wife allows you to enter on your "Cave" and come back to us with pictures.  :thumb:

budyog

So she hasn't let you back in the house for two years?  Man, you musta done sumpin' real bad.  Usually they let you back in sooner just so they can bitch at you about it.

Considering the possible collateral damage from this kinda woman, I'd have to charge you $1200 per man for security and $25,000 bond for bail in advance (contingencies and all) to get your stuff out.  You can do what you want with the equipment after I get it out for ya.

:lol: Funny! no, it's nothing like that!
The guitar does sometimes go into the Mancave and others bring theirs too!
I do have a couple bar stools with foot stools in "Mancave' that are perfect when need to relax.
Doug S. That's a big part of it. It is a place where one can really relax, just as I am, come as you are, spill beer, it's ok if peanuts shells are on the floor!
Thats is part of my issue! I have thought many times, gosh I should just bring my good system out in the "Mancave"! I don't think I want to do that. It is dusty & dirty, doors open in the summer!
Lots of beer Summit on tap! You will all be over now! Fridays, door opens @8!
Have I really risen above Audiophilia Nervosa! I really do enjoy the sound! There is something to be said with speaker placement 8 feet high 20 feet apart! It sounds huge!
I will get pictures!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
:lol: Funny! no, it's nothing like that!

I dunno, looks like you're still sittin' on a park bench to me.

doug s.

• makin' music
Doug S. That's a big part of it. It is a place where one can really relax, just as I am, come as you are, spill beer, it's ok if peanuts shells are on the floor!
Thats is part of my issue! I have thought many times, gosh I should just bring my good system out in the "Mancave"! I don't think I want to do that. It is dusty & dirty, doors open in the summer!
Lots of beer Summit on tap! You will all be over now! Fridays, door opens @8!
Have I really risen above Audiophilia Nervosa! I really do enjoy the sound! There is something to be said with speaker placement 8 feet high 20 feet apart! It sounds huge!
I will get pictures!
man!!! you ain't using the fancy stuff now - who cares it it gets beer spilled on it or if it gets dirty and dusty - you will be able to enjoy it!   :thumb:  and, you can always switch back & forth to the wintage ceiling rig any time you want!  :green:

doug s.