srb

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #80 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:47 pm »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #81 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:52 pm »
LogMeIn is not a true VNC app (uses servers differently, but who cares), but mimics them in that its intentions are for remote screen management, just like a true VNC app like RealVnc, etc.  And as Steve has linked in, it;s an acronym for the vast majority of remote desktop apps.

Don_S

« Reply #82 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:02 pm »
OK, I get it.  I am currently using logmein on my laptop and it mirrors (for lack of a better term) the screen of whatever it is controlling. 

Because I am very Apple clueless I was not sure of the capabilities of an iPad2. Now I am confident it will work very well for my needs.

My total hands-on Apple experience:  I touched an iPod at CES.  A friend let me try his iPad controlling his Sooloos.  I actually giggled.  It was that slick.  But I think that is peer-to-peer and would not work for what I need.

So forgive my unenlightened questions.  Thank you for the education.

Levi

« Reply #83 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:43 pm »
I totally love my new iPad2. Its improved speed enables it to run circles around the old iPad which is now my sons' toy. Video conferencing is awesome via WiFi, I have not tested FaceTime on the 3G network yet.  Picture and watching video is where this new iPad 2 will excel in my books as i dont play games yet.  Coming from the old iPad and the yellow pad, Definitely worth the $899 price of admission. 

I gambled on the black (ATT) version with 64GB memory.  Apple currently has the 4.3.1 update. So far so good.  

P.s. Ed, get one already.   

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #84 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:31 pm »
My wife has been asking me like crazy for an ipad but I'm clueless on this stuff, I don't even have a smartphone. I'm very curious myself but $899 is a lot for curiosity for me.  Wish they had a rent an ipad thing.  I may be swayed if I could actually use it for a day or so with having to buy it and sign a two contract etc... That's a lot of commitment for most people.

groovybassist

« Reply #85 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:35 pm »
I paid $829 for the 64Gb + Verizon 3G version, so not sure where $899 is coming from.  In addition, there's no contract required - you can turn the cell-based service on and off at will.

We love our new iPad 2 - just scratching the surface right now of what it can do, but looking forward to discovering all of the things we'll use it for.

Levi

« Reply #86 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:39 pm »
You can probably hangout at Apple or borrow from a friend.  It is simply a toy for people on the GO. I figured most people who bought an iPad has a good laptop already because you will stop and think that the price difference between an iPad and Laptop is very close.   love my emoji icons.

Levi

« Reply #87 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:39 pm »
You did not spend enough.  apple care?  $79

I paid $829 for the 64Gb + Verizon 3G version, so not sure where $899 is coming from.  In addition, there's no contract required - you can turn the cell-based service on and off at will.

We love our new iPad 2 - just scratching the surface right now of what it can do, but looking forward to discovering all of the things we'll use it for.

groovybassist

« Reply #88 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:05 pm »
Good point Levi - I didn't buy the Applecare plan.  I've had Apple products for over 15 years now and have never had a single problem with any of them.  A bit of a roll of the dice.

As I see it, the iPad's real life is only a couple of years anyway - by then, the capability of the newer versions will significantly eclipse the old and I'd likely move to the newer version anyway.

Since we've gotten the iPad, my laptop and our iMac have been used MUCH less.  Fun, fun, fun!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #89 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:17 pm »

P.s. Ed, get one already.   
That would require money which I ain't got, I'd be happy with a 16GB wi-fi version but Apple doesn't let people do $50/mo. last I checked..LOL :wink:

Levi

« Reply #90 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:26 pm »
Correct.  Lifecycle is about a year or so for early adopters.

My MacBook Pro etc are now for synching and charging I-whatsits.  Ha ha ha...

I can access all my School's Blackboard in this device. Did I say light weight?!?

groovybassist

« Reply #91 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:30 pm »
Very cool Levi.

A friend of mine has the original version.  The other day we had the new version side-by-side with the original, and there's a big difference in how they feel in hand.  The original feels positively clunky compared to the iPad 2.  The difference in speed is obvious as well.  I think the iPad 2 has come much closer to the vision of how tablets will evolve into the future.  Did I mention the cover is very slick?!

Levi

« Reply #92 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm »
Yes the cover is slick. That's additional $ but you have to have it.  It is a must have

P. S. Ed, If you really want one, you will eventually get one.

jriggy

« Reply #93 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:49 pm »
Got my shipping notice today for my black, 64g, ATT, personalization engraved ipad2!!!!

FYI, I ordered mid day on release day.

Levi

« Reply #94 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:23 pm »
Congrats! 

Make sure you don't drop your iPad2, even Apple Care will not replace a broken screen.  Just an FYI.

jrebman

« Reply #95 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:18 pm »
Ok, broke down and just ordered mine today... 32 gig, wifi only  I don't travel and this is mostly going to be used for surfing, email, reading ibooks, and controlling my mini/alix-mpd music servers.

Also got the red leather case, engraving, and the apple care plan.

This will be replacing my trusty Acer Aspire One netbook.

I had been debating for the lst several weeks about whether to get an iPad or Air, and decided that this would be enough for it's intended uses, and would also give the sighted folks around here something to see album covers with as they go through the music library.

I also thought about waiting for the new Mini, but I keep reminding myself that I'm trying to get rid of desktop computers, not collect more of them. :-)

-- Jim

Pez

« Reply #96 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:19 pm »
Jim and everyone else,
The iPad 2 is fantastic! I got mine a couple days ago. The reviewers who said the iPad 2 is not worth upgrading to if you already have the 1st one have their heads squarely up their asses. The performance difference is like upgrading a 3 year old computer for a brand new top of the line screamer! That's saying a lot since the original iPad is great. 'More of the same' in this case is a great thing. And a lot of top tier apps have graphics boosts and more for the iPad 2.

Smart cover is pretty much the coolest idea ever. I always carry my iPad in a bag so the need for a full case is lost on me. But having something to protect the screen is a must.

Levi

« Reply #97 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:46 pm »
Congrats! 

jrebman

« Reply #98 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:22 pm »
Jason,

Sounds great!  How long did you have to wait for yours to arrive after ordering?  Just wondering if the 3-4 weeks cited on the apple site is fairly accurate.

Kind of glad I didn't give in to the emptation to buy a refurbed Gen 1.

-- Jim

newzooreview

« Reply #99 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:24 pm »
Congrats! 

Make sure you don't drop your iPad2, even Apple Care will not replace a broken screen.  Just an FYI.

I wouldn't stay up nights worrying about breaking the screen. It's not made of plain old window glass.
In fact, it's surprisingly tough: http://www.youtube.com/user/iFixYouri#p/a/u/0/r4vvQq7BpiE