1.6 & pro amps?

Bill of NY

1.6 & pro amps?
« on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:09 am »
This might be an old question But, is anyboby out here using pro amps with there 1.6's?  If so which?

Thanx :D

ajzepp

Re: 1.6 & pro amps?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:55 am »
You may want to post this over on the MUG/Audio Asylum too....I know there are people over there who use pro amps with their maggies.

Brandon B

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:50 am »
My 1.6s are running off a Crown Macrotech 2402.  Great combo.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/maspec_1.htm

This is one of Crown's nicer amps from several years ago, so it's performance is maybe better than the average pro amp.  But it compares completely favorably in quality to the Odyssey Stratos (2001 with cap upgrade) I ran them off of prior.  And for the load of the maggies, it's 750wpc, so plenty of power to spare.  I also have them active XOed at 100 hz to some dipole woofers which are themselves running off another 2402.  So basically flat response from 25Hz to 25KHz.  I am happy enough that I will likely never replace anything until something blows.

Now the downside - amps fans are so loud I had to put them in an upstairs closet and run balanced ICs and speaker wire up through the ceiling.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:51 pm »
  ATI multichannel amps can allow you to biamp with one amp. Brilliant!! Check them out.

charles

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:50 am »
Sunfire does the same bit in a slightly different manner, no?

Brandon B

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2011, 12:52 am »
??

But he wasn't asking about bi-amping, he was asking about pro amps.

cityjim

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:21 am »
 How many high end shows or high end shops for that matter use ANY pro type equipment? Zero is the magic number. How many high end magazine reviewers like Stereophile's staff own any pro gear, zero. Check it out for yourself in the associated equipement in their reviews.

Why, because pro amps are switching amps which are noise generators. No true high end system flaunts any Crown amps. Or any other class D amps for the same reason.

Why again, class A is the best form of amplification period.

cityjim
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2011, 03:48 pm by cityjim »

BrassEar

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm »
The best system I ever heard used Beverage electrostats and pro amps. The amount of bias and misinformation regarding pro amps in the audiophile community is stunning and unfortunate.

Try pro amps. My favorite are the ART SLA amps. Crown and QSC are also great. Behringers sound fine but lack quality.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=22&blogId=1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2011, 12:11 am »
I've been told that these are the cats meow of pro audio amps.

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php?cPath=146

face

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2011, 11:10 am »
How many high end shows or high end shops for that matter use ANY pro type equipment? Zero is the magic number. How many high end magazine reviewers like Stereophile's staff own any pro gear, zero. Check it out for yourself in the associated equipement in their reviews.

Why, because pro amps are switching amps which are noise generators. No true high end system flaunts any Crown amps. Or any other class D amps for the same reason.

Why again, class A is the best form of amplification period.

cityjim
I was following you at first, then you drove into a ditch. 

You're correct about pro gear not being up to stuff.  But there's also plenty of A/B and D at high end shows, not just A.