the mother of all cables

rcag_ils

the mother of all cables
« on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:09 am »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablspkr&1303455068

check this out, we've talked about cables a lot, but that's not why I posted it here.

It's the box the cable's in, for crying out loud, a military style water seal box, good enough to be used in Afghanistan.

gooberdude

Re: the mother of all cables
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:50 am »
It seems really odd that the vendor is offering 'lay away'.

I haven't heard that term used seriously in 2 decades, and who would be shopping for $5K speaker cables and need to put them on lay-away?

everything about that ad screams   :lol:

Brett Buck

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2011, 05:51 am »
It seems really odd that the vendor is offering 'lay away'.

I haven't heard that term used seriously in 2 decades, and who would be shopping for $5K speaker cables and need to put them on lay-away?

everything about that ad screams   :lol:

I think the magic words "wire transfer" are a very good tip-off to what this is about.

Brett

modular747

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:36 am »
It's the box the cable's in, for crying out loud, a military style water seal box, good enough to be used in Afghanistan.

That's the only thing of value in the posting.  I'd pay more for the empty box than with the cables, saving me the effort of green disposal...

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2011, 10:27 am »
The new retail price for these cables is $11,500.00 with the box, but that's not all. The seller stated:
I’d like to sell them, but would gladly take a mint trade of something like a nice solid-state amp (Krell, Levinson, etc.) or a current speaker so let me know what you have and I will respond back.

Also:
They have been used once, for about a week
, does it really matter???? Well, I guess it does, used once and the price depreciated for almost 50%.

He knows his business.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:03 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
When you have trucks load of money and you don't know what to do with your money, that's what you do with your money, you buy those things, new or used...
I only have a small piggy bank half full of coins, that's why I make my own cables...

Even if I had the money, for me it would be completely illogical to buy such cables at such crazy prices, even after 50% depreciation.
Guy 13

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:18 am »
Just look at what he was selling before. There was nothing listed below $30K (retail), so what he is selling now, looks like a bargain.

NOT.  :wink:

Anand.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:06 pm »
"Trade me, steal me, lay me away !!!"

Since he brought up the steal part - why not? I could use a nice camera carrying case!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:13 pm »
Never ceases to amaze me.  Whadda ya think a person could get reselling these?

trebejo

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2011, 08:34 pm »
I heard recently that there were some Wall Street hedge-fund managers here in the USA that made several billion dollars (each) last year, and only paid 15% tax on their earnings (as opposed to what you and I pay in taxes). But it's not tax policy that I'm talking about, rather the sheer amount of money that these people are making.

If you made $5,000,000,000 last year (I think that was the top amount but I might be cheating the guy out of a billion or two), what would you pay for cables?

Of course if you have that kind of money you are probably going to buy yourself a Midwestern governor or somesuch instead; but if you've just come back from a long day at the office making $13,000,000 (that is $5,000,000,000 divided by 365) by clicking on your computer, hey, what are you going to do, skimp on the speaker cables?

It's hard to spend $13,000,000 a day; you might as well splurge on the cables.

Minn Mark

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:34 pm »
With that kind of money, one could seriously consider having live music available in a practical way....so who would need cables?     :lol:

Cheers,

Mark

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablspkr&1303455068

check this out, we've talked about cables a lot, but that's not why I posted it here.

And I would suggest that the box is too small to store these cables, since "everyone knows" you don't bend cables in too tight an arc, and these cables look pretty fat to me. Must be the reason for the discount; they're not quite broken in, but they probably are "broken" ;-)

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:47 pm »
Ahh, so THAT'S what the guys in Ronin were fighting about!  Hi-Fi cables…I should have known!