Finger Drumming - Percussing The Overgrown Calculator

nathanm

My drum videos need more hits!  Ha! Get it? Hits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKAKTHAOcMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rva95j_qD98

I think something is wrong though, because so far people have only talked about the content of the video in question and not a screaming exchange of hateful ad hominem attacks.  It may be a phony YouTube site.  Hmmm.

pjchappy

Re: Finger Drumming - Percucssing The Overgrown Calculator
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:12 pm »
Cool!  How much is something like that? (Before you answer that, I'm sure I'll hop online and find out. . .and probably be bummed I can't buy it NOW! :P ).

I have a Yamaha DD-65 I use for MIDI controlled drums (just upgraded to Superior Drummer 2.0 from EZ Drummer).  I would like something with more pads, but not a full MIDI drum set.

Paul

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:20 pm »
Proper MIDI controllers to truly address the amount of sounds in Superior (or other drum samplers for that matter) is a huge hole in the market in my view.  It makes me wish I knew how to build electronics.  All I've got are dreams in Adobe Illustrator.  Even the sweet-looking Zen Drums only do 25 pads.  Hmph.  I now have four Pad Kontrol units (new video in the works) which does the job, but it would be nice to have them condensed into a smaller space.  It would be sweet to have all the articulations of a particular drum\cymbal within the same square inch or so.

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:25 pm »
I think one will suffice for me  :lol: (I do have a MIDI controller keyboard, too). 

I haven't even tried SD yet, as I recently did the upgrade.  I just need the time, which hasn't been there lately.

Will your new video have you controlling each Korg with an individual appendage?  Maybe you should get one more. . . :rotflmao:

Paul

nathanm

Re: Finger Drumming - Percussing The Overgrown Calculator
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:35 pm »
I got a phenomenal deal on the last two.  I think the price was a misprint, they left off a number 1!

I need to buy a new Mac before I can upgrade to Superior 2.0.  The g4 is on its last legs.  I also need to get my crap together and start integrating the drum system with my guitar\looper system.

pjchappy

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:42 pm »
They are on sale now, but not in stock until 3/16.  padKONTROL

I will be buying one. . . :green:

Paul

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:57 pm »
I had a Roland V-Drum Kit awhile back and was like loving it at first but you miss the nuance of hitting cymbals a certain way and the textures you can create with acoustic snare as opposed to V-drum which always threw ina rimshot from time to time for no reason...
 I ended up selling it and going back to acoustic drums.....a great learning experience thugh, all the midi possibilities, the presets, awesome sound banks...the drum module alone was like $2500 back in 90...I forget the model number it was Rolands flagship V-Drum kit at the time..3 cymbals, 5 drum pads and one real feel bass drum and it also had a rubber hihat that you could control the up stroke and down stroke...pain to set up though...The Roland drum pad with eight pads was alot more fun...SPD-10???

AB

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm »
Needs more cowbell. 8)

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:26 pm »
I thought it might be fun to try a MIDI Hi-Hat Pedal.  But I am not sure my feet and hands are connected right. One huge mistake I made was buying a TrapKat once.  I realized I could not hit things with sticks in time to save my life.  I sounded like a four year old kid.  Well worse than that, cause you can find videos of little kids playing the drums who are pretty good.  I sold the Trap Kat and retreated back to my Boss drum machines instead, more or less following the Homer Simpson advice on learning musical instruments.

You're probably right AB, there are still like four unused cowbells in there too.  Such untapped potential!  :)

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm »
Check out "Fruity Loops"...I loved that program and its free trial and if you buy its life time free upgrades I believe..its computer based but loade with easy tomabage drums sets , sounds to bend, and easy to make the pitch and velocity sound like a person playing.. I'll dig up some others i used that were fun and easy as I could play but lacked the patience to do the whole programming thing with serious chops..

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:39 am »
Wow I love it - nathanm you are a pretty good drummer on that thing my friend

AB

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2011, 05:10 am »
I thought it might be fun to try a MIDI Hi-Hat Pedal.  But I am not sure my feet and hands are connected right. One huge mistake I made was buying a TrapKat once.  I realized I could not hit things with sticks in time to save my life.  I sounded like a four year old kid.  Well worse than that, cause you can find videos of little kids playing the drums who are pretty good.  I sold the Trap Kat and retreated back to my Boss drum machines instead, more or less following the Homer Simpson advice on learning musical instruments.

You're probably right AB, there are still like four unused cowbells in there too.  Such untapped potential!  :)

Wait a minute. So you're saying you're not a drummer? No kit, no sticks, no stripey wrist sweat bands? 

That's very cool.

But...the absence of a cow bell bridge should have tipped me off. :duh:

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:07 pm »
Nope, not a drummer.  But I am trying to figure out a way to do the equivalent of "stick twirls" with the Pad Kontrol - you know, to enhance the performance value.  Maybe I need to put a quick release on one of them and toss it up in the air.  Then from there it's onto the rotating cage!

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2011, 07:10 pm »
nathanm...I'm dense, so the videos are of you?? very cool, I never could do that small pad thing but it looks like you got it nailed. Nice I expect to see and hear your thoughts as this circle drums its way into the tub thumpers in all of us. I used to get smashed at parties and the hot would always drag me into the kitchen where I would go through the collection of pots and pans start pulling them out and play "pots and pans"... the key word in code from my bassist if we ended up somewhere that amazing women had congregated in the kitchen area and a definite way to introduce ones self. was....he'd come up to me and whisper in my ear "pots and pans my man" at which point no matter what was going on with whoever I was talking to or in the middle of I would excuse my self and follow him into the kitchen where these ladies had set up shop and I'd play the pots and pans....always got us l_id, I mean introductions. Remember the movie Andromeda Strain in the beginning when the Governmanet guys start showing up at peoples homes, parties, work places etc.. and said "there's a fire" and the geeky scientist would be spirited away to the top secret government installation to battle the menace that must be kept top secret at all costs....you get the idea...it was like that, women= "pots and pans my man"....it was a much simpler way of life back then.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:02 pm »
Yes, the videos are of me.  Well, my hands at least.  I may have to put together a portable rig if I want to use it as a seduction device. Ha!  I thought the wooing of ladies was traditionally the realm of the acoustic guitar, but the pots and pans is an interesting alternative.  The digital equivalent I suppose would be Toontrack's "Twisted Kit":

https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=23

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:09 pm »
nathanm---I'll show you the ways of the "drummer" women love drummers, easily the second highest fun value right behind lead singers I think. In my experience as a drummer and hanging out with other musicians over the years it was always the drummer ever so slightly behind the lead singer in that particular field of interest. hahahaha... the tuba player was always lower down on the scale as were specialty musicians like Kalimba, xylophone, vibes...LOL :dance:

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:47 pm »
I doubt MIDI pads will ever replace a real kit as far as sexiness or stage-friendly visual factor goes, but who knows?  No tuba, eh?  Bummer.  And of course the panflute is out of the question:

I dunno who made that, but it always cracks me up.