Brandon B

Lion may not have Front Row
« on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:17 pm »
Front Row is omitted from the latest developer release of 10.7

Hope not, I use it a lot.

Johnny2Bad

Re: Lion may not have Front Row
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't miss it at all ... I normally delete it as part of my install configuration and setup routine. It's found at /System/Library/CoreServices
Having said that, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you and liked it. Early seeds of beta versions are rarely complete and it's unwise to think of these releases as equivalent to the Gold Master that may eventually ship. Furthermore, this is only the first ADC seed, there are typically a series of them.
Perhaps more interesting, is if it's missing from the Apple Developer Connection seed, that may be because there are changes that Apple doesn't want anyone to know about yet.
In other words, it may not be going away at all, and may be part of an improvement not yet announced.

Brandon B

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:50 am »
Possibly.  That is sort of my hope, that it was not ready for the current release as they're mucking with it due to some other changes.

But it is something that doesn't fit in with the appleTV airplay system all that well, and Apple is keen on cruft cutting.  So I'll probably be more surprised if it remains.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »
How does one go about deleting it from Snow Leopard? I never use it.

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:29 am »
guessing it will stick around for folks that upgrade the OS, but new installs and new computers won't have it.   It's what they will probably do with iDVD

Mike Nomad

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:15 am »
I think its absence is a pre-release thing. For example:

The Lion developer install I messed with today (sorry, didn't get the version number) had a problem: Safari (It is _blazing_ fast. I might have to ditch Camino) didn't have Java installed. So, grabbed it as a download, and it installed fine. Expect some major Java tweaking on the Gold release.

@ Nels Ferre: All you have to do is remove it from the Applications folder. There may be some hooks in one of the System Folders, which can be deleted as well.

Watson

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:21 am »
I think its absence is a pre-release thing. For example:

The Lion developer install I messed with today (sorry, didn't get the version number) had a problem: Safari (It is _blazing_ fast. I might have to ditch Camino) didn't have Java installed. So, grabbed it as a download, and it installed fine. Expect some major Java tweaking on the Gold release.

Uh, haven't you heard? Java is being dropped from Lion. There was a big kerfuffle about this about three months ago. Apple has ceased development; Oracle will step in to release Java on OS X, but it will no longer come with the OS.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:47 am »
Uh, haven't you heard? Java is being dropped from Lion. There was a big kerfuffle about this about three months ago. Apple has ceased development; Oracle will step in to release Java on OS X, but it will no longer come with the OS.

Not to get uppity, but all I've heard is that Steve is not happy w/ Larry. Oracle is increasingly moving to beat of their own drummer. To me, it's all posturing until the product ships.

Personally, I would love to see Java no longer ship with the Mac OS. Java is a major attack vector. I wouldn't miss Flash, either.

Watson

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:54 am »

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:01 am »

It will still auto-install if needed.  Most folks don't need Java and just eats up useless disk space.  Besides having Oracle support their own software is a good thing, we will be getting bug fixes faster.  Sadly Java and Adobe Flash (both dropped) should be part of the App Store, but guessing Apple won't allow Java since it's almost "open-source'...almost :)

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:10 pm »
How does one go about deleting it from Snow Leopard? I never use it.
See my original post. To access that directory (because it's part of the normally hidden UNIX structure) you use the Finder's "Go" menu item. Select Finder: Go: Go to Folder

... and type in the path I gave in the first post. The window of the normally hidden directory will open, and there it is. Delete it however you prefer (drag to trash; right-click/command-click and select "Delete" or "Move to Trash", etc). The OS will probably ask you to authenticate since it's a restricted folder, but that's all there is to it.

A caution: the "Go to Folder" command is powerful and potentially dangerous. This stuff is normally hidden from the GUI for a reason. Deleting Front Row is no biggie, but don't go playing with it if you don't know what you're doing. You have access to stuff via that item that for the most part shouldn't be messed with. Stick to the specific task I'm mentioning, unless you REALLY know what you're doing. It's not as powerful as the command line, but then again, it's not less powerful either.

You could leave the FrontRow.app in the Applications folder (it won't do anything now) or delete that as well. Alternately, you could drag the one or two files, as the case may be, from the trash to a folder for backup. Use TextEdit and make a note for yourself where the two files go, and throw that in the same folder.

As for Java, I'm fine with getting it from Sun (now owned by Oracle) if necessary. Same as what Windows users need to do now. However, having Java installed poses some security risks when using a browser, because most browsers can run Java code. Few sites actually use it, however, so disabling Java in the browser almost certainly won't have any effect on your experience on the 'net. Safari makes this easy to do at Preferences: Security. You still have a full Java environment on your desktop to run the odd Java app locally when necessary. Also, please note that Java and Javascript are completely different animals; do not confuse the two. They have virtually nothing in common.

For Flash, I use Click-to-Flash to disable it by default in the browser. You can enable it when necessary. It's almost like a free ad-blocker, since that's what the majority of Flash content actually is. Although it isn't obvious unless you don't have Flash installed, all YouTube videos also play via H.264.