First single-driver system

TerryO

Re: First single-driver system
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
We gonna see some fresh APTS at this year's diyFEST?

Hi Dave,
I'm sure going to try, I'll have a go at it once the weather lets up a bit. Last night we still had a bit of snow on the ground. FWIW, I hadn't noticed the announcement, along with previous event coverage. That's great.
Is that "Homeless" guy ( I prefer the term "Outdoorsman") still at large?

Best Regards,
Terry

TerryO

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:17 pm »
You would know. There is little warning and a very disturbibg fart when they hit the limits. Worst with SE amps (any siz, tube or SS).

dave

Dave,

That was certainly the case when I brought my FR-125 OB's to Al Wooley's RAW Fest a few years back. It was awful wasn't it...YUUUUK!
 :oops:

Best Regards,
Terry

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:27 pm »
Is that "Homeless" guy ( I prefer the term "Outdoorsman") still at large?

Still snow here too. Persistant stuff.

Homeless guy?

dave

TerryO

« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm »
Still snow here too. Persistant stuff.

Homeless guy?

dave

He showed up last year wearing an Obama Bib, looking for handouts and free food.
I personally don't have much patience for these "Dregs of Society!"

Best Regards,
TerryO

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:27 pm »
He showed up last year wearing an Obama Bib, looking for handouts and free food.
I personally don't have much patience for these "Dregs of Society!"

Eric, i guess. He is an important part of the community. And far from homeless. he has an acerage down the road with a bigger house than us.

His job keeps him grimy -- he is the local recycle guy, taking away our scrap metal and helping to keep debris off the sides of the road. He can feed himself, he was more there for the company. Rarely does he get the opportunity to hang out with other music enthuisasts, and can get a little over excited.

dave

TerryO

« Reply #45 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:34 am »
Eric, i guess. He is an important part of the community. And far from homeless. he has an acerage down the road with a bigger house than us.

His job keeps him grimy -- he is the local recycle guy, taking away our scrap metal and helping to keep debris off the sides of the road. He can feed himself, he was more there for the company. Rarely does he get the opportunity to hang out with other music enthuisasts, and can get a little over excited.
dave

He's certainly not the one I'm thinking of.
 :nono:

Eric's cool, and I found him to be a great guy. He left with a pair of "eyeball" speakers from my winnings and I hope to see him again this next Summer, as he had a couple of records I didn't get to hear.

Best Regards,
TerryO

doorman

« Reply #46 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:49 am »
Weren't think of any of you "up-island" pals were ya?
"Outdoorsmen/campers"
just askin,' free food's always a hook!
Best, Don

BPoletti

« Reply #47 on: 5 Mar 2011, 03:09 am »
You would know. There is little warning and a very disturbibg fart when they hit the limits. Worst with SE amps (any siz, tube or SS).

dave

From your description, they didn't bottom out.  But there was considerable audible gnashing of teeth and heavily modulated highs.  I guess the voice coil threw a bit out of the gap.  I think it was on one of the tracks from the Freddie Fennel Screamers album (vinyl).  We were playing the system a bit louder than I would normally run it.  I was impressed with the dynamics and dynamic range up until that point. 

I was really satisfied with just how good the system sounded when the subs were added.  Just need to try a box with a really narrow baffle to see how that works.   

TerryO

« Reply #48 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:35 am »
Weren't think of any of you "up-island" pals were ya?
"Outdoorsmen/campers"
just askin,' free food's always a hook!
Best, Don

Yes, a dreadful lot they were too!
I'm afraid I've been spoiled by the Opulent Splendor of Washington's logging towns.

Don, are you going to be there again? I sure hope so, as I've got some new lies...uh, true stories to tell you!
 :green:

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO

« Reply #49 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:42 am »
From your description, they didn't bottom out.  But there was considerable audible gnashing of teeth and heavily modulated highs.  I guess the voice coil threw a bit out of the gap.  I think it was on one of the tracks from the Freddie Fennel Screamers album (vinyl).  We were playing the system a bit louder than I would normally run it.  I was impressed with the dynamics and dynamic range up until that point. 

I was really satisfied with just how good the system sounded when the subs were added.  Just need to try a box with a really narrow baffle to see how that works.   

Bill,

Can you use the same box, just placing the drivers at the ends and covering the present openings? I believe that once you get it sorted out to be the way you like it, you're going to be pretty happy.

Best Regards,
Terry

BPoletti

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2011, 05:20 am »
Maybe.  I only cut my first holes using a Jasper Jig on the current baffles.  I've got to think it through how to cut holes there.  Also wanted a more narrow baffle.  The sides would only reduce the baffle width to around 8 1/2" rather than the 6" I'm after.  But that gives me an idea....  Gotta think it through a little.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Might save some perspiration.   :) 

BPoletti

« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:43 am »
I guess I'm venturing away from an actual single driver system.  I got some components for a crossover this evening and will bring in a subwoofer to take the lf off the the FR125SRs.  It will be a first order crossover, but the hp will not be at the same frequency as the lp.  It's an old trick I learned when I had Bozak Concert Grands (so long ago).   :)

The crossovers will actually be built on separate chassis.  They will be ready for listening tomorrow afternoon. 

Should I keep reporting in this thread and circle since this is not actually a single driver system (really a wide range with a sub)?  Is there a different "circle" that I should use?

doorman

« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:49 am »
Yes, a dreadful lot they were too!
I'm afraid I've been spoiled by the Opulent Splendor of Washington's logging towns.

Don, are you going to be there again? I sure hope so, as I've got some new lies...uh, true stories to tell you!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Wouldn't miss it Terry-- I'm always ready to sit at the feet of the master :D
Look forward to seeing the Wash. contingent.!
Best, Don

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2011, 05:01 am »
Should I keep reporting in this thread and circle since this is not actually a single driver system (really a wide range with a sub)?  Is there a different "circle" that I should use?

AFAIC a FAST is still a valid FR system. Helper tweeters are OK, helper woofs should too,

dave

BPoletti

« Reply #54 on: 31 Mar 2011, 09:35 pm »
Thanks, Dave. 

I constructed the crossover and put it in the system for testing.  Works good, no measurements yet.

I did turn up the volume on some horrible CD.  The dynamic range was there without the long cone excursion or hf modulation.  Just what I was looking for.  The CD is so bad that there is no way to discover whether the response is smooth.  It just has a lot of bass energy and sharp transients.  The Lambda SB12s go reasonably deep.  I don't know how deep because the test disk I use only goes to 20hz. 

BPoletti

« Reply #55 on: 1 Apr 2011, 01:16 pm »
The SB12 Lambda, at 88dB+ is too efficient to use as a sub with a conventional two-channel passive crossover.  It might be OK if it were "biamped" with a level control on the sub.  That's the next step.  But not today.  Maybe over the weekend. 

BPoletti

« Reply #56 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:47 am »
It just happens that I have more than a couple of amps laying around.  I reconfigured the crossover so that the hp section separate from the lp section.  I used four mono amps, one for each side hp and one for each side lp.  I used a two-channel passive line level control in front of the lp amps.   Pulled the lp level back a bit until the bass was at about the right level. 

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Still need to tweak the lp crossover point a bit lower, but all the dynamic range is there for pretty much any classical music.   

TerryO

« Reply #57 on: 4 Apr 2011, 08:10 am »
It just happens that I have more than a couple of amps laying around.  I reconfigured the crossover so that the hp section separate from the lp section.  I used four mono amps, one for each side hp and one for each side lp.  I used a two-channel passive line level control in front of the lp amps.   Pulled the lp level back a bit until the bass was at about the right level. 

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Still need to tweak the lp crossover point a bit lower, but all the dynamic range is there for pretty much any classical music.   

Hey Bill,

I haven't stopped by as I thought you were still "vacationing" from the project.

If you go with the bi-amping you might want to consider a higher order Lo-Pass while holding onto a first order High-pass. A line level crossover is  pretty benign by comparison with a regular passive crossover. Asymmetrical slopes certainly work fine, although it might take a just bit more effort to integrate them, but it seems you're getting pretty close already.

Come to think of it, you already know all that...I guess I must be talking to myself.

Best Regards,
Terry

BPoletti

« Reply #58 on: 6 Apr 2011, 12:47 pm »
Hey Bill,

I haven't stopped by as I thought you were still "vacationing" from the project.

If you go with the bi-amping you might want to consider a higher order Lo-Pass while holding onto a first order High-pass. A line level crossover is  pretty benign by comparison with a regular passive crossover. Asymmetrical slopes certainly work fine, although it might take a just bit more effort to integrate them, but it seems you're getting pretty close already.

Come to think of it, you already know all that...I guess I must be talking to myself.

Best Regards,
Terry

Interesting you should mention that, Terry.  I just worked out the crossover last evening.  Since the subs are 3 - 4 dB more efficient, I dropped the crossover point almost an octave and used a "slightly different" technique for padding.  The measurements (in-room) look pretty good even though the sub still has some contribution up to around 1Khz.  There's a slight hump in the 400hz - 800hz range that I need to address.  The sound is very good. 

I still need to design and build a better pair of cabinets.  These are not too good and might be causing some response anomalies. 

chrisby

« Reply #59 on: 7 Apr 2011, 09:50 pm »

I still need to design and build a better pair of cabinets.  These are not too good and might be causing some response anomalies.

Bill, no doubt Terry's advice on mediation of your concerns over structural and/or cosmetic issues with your enclosures would include the judicious application of liberal amounts of his special tone sauce.    :P

"it ain't DIYed without the bondo"