Linear PSU to Icon HD(P)

phusis

Linear PSU to Icon HD(P)
« on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:00 am »
So, let's give this a separate thread :)

A few questions:

• Will the linear PSU include the once rumored "built-in 24bit/192KHz USB to S/PDIF converter," or does it arrive solely as a linear PSU?

• What will be the price of the unit, and is the March 15th street date carved in stone?

• To reiterate: Have you tested the HD(P) with the linear power supply, and if so, what's the perceived difference in sound quality? If you haven't tested it, then why or how do you expect an upgrade in SQ? I'd very much like to get a bearing on the sonic impact of the upcoming linear power supply...

Best,
M

phusis

Re: Linear PSU to Icon HD(P)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2011, 10:14 pm »
Any updates?

phusis

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:48 pm »
Jason posted this on head-fi.org:

NuForce LPS-1U (MSRP $499) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with 24bit-96kHz USB to 24bit-192kHz S/PDIF converter. Provides two power outputs: 15V/1A and 15V/4A.

Upgradable (additional cost) to 24bit/192kHz USB to 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF when available.

NuForce LPS-1 (MSRP $329) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with single 15V/4A output.

Shipping mid April.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/469767/review-in-progress-nuforce-hdp-24-96-usb-optical-24-192-coax-dac-preamp-and-headphone-amp/1245#post_7340325

Prices are somewhat higher than I expected, certainly relative to the prices of Icon HD and HDP, but may in themselves be reasonable as such.

Still, as a linear PSU alone the price almost matches that of an Icon HD(!), so one would believe there's a not insignificant upgrade in sound quality here. Moreover, this does bring the total price somewhat closer to that expected of the DAC-9($1500-$1900).

The option between the LPS-1U and LPS-1 is commendable, but (on second thought) I don't understand the "Upgradable (additional cost) to 24bit/192kHz USB to 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF when available." when this could have been done to begin with, or would it have postponed the release even further - at an additional cost?

Casey/Jason:

(to reiterate, yet again)What is the expected/tested upgrade in sound quality when using LPS-1U and LPS-1 respectively with an Icon HDP? I've just received my Icon HDP today(instead of the HD, so to allow for the USB to S/DIF conversion), and I plan on making use of either the LPS-1 or LPS-1U when they arrive. Before doing that though I would appreciate your feedback to my question, especially now that the prices of the LPS-1/LPS-1U are higher than expected, so to better assess whether this is an option that really makes a difference in SQ, and eventually whether a purchase is appealing.

Surely you can understand that one needs some kind of incentive to invest in these optional appliances? It's not at all given to me why or what is thougt to be the effect of their implementation(even though something tells there is a positive outcome, but that won't do)...

Thanks.

Best,
M
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 07:30 pm by phusis »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
Improvement from the linear supply is very real.  I am actually surprised myself, in particular that that I have compared using a 12V battery powering up the HDP and did not hear all that much difference vs. the included power supply.

However, the linear power supply brought improvement that is not subtle, i.e you don't have to compare tracks after tracks to detect a difference, it's quite obvious.   The mid range got beefed up, separation improved, bass slammed. 

Connecting the CDP-8 sounded like we just added a Turbo into the CDP-8.   Oomph!   The drums kicked so hard and I couldn't believe myself.

phusis

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:45 pm »
Improvement from the linear supply is very real.  I am actually surprised myself, in particular that that I have compared using a 12V battery powering up the HDP and did not hear all that much difference vs. the included power supply.

However, the linear power supply brought improvement that is not subtle, i.e you don't have to compare tracks after tracks to detect a difference, it's quite obvious.   The mid range got beefed up, separation improved, bass slammed. 

Connecting the CDP-8 sounded like we just added a Turbo into the CDP-8.   Oomph!   The drums kicked so hard and I couldn't believe myself.

Thanks for your reply, Casey!

The linear PSU of yours seems to bring with it a significant upgrade in sound quality. I've read reactions much like yours over at head-fi.org, where the upgrade(with other similarly spec'd PSU's) is described by different people, but much in the same manner, to result in "added clarity(typically via a more quiet or "black" background), opened-up soundstage, better separation, tighther and more forceful bass, an added sense of overall "power" in the sound," etc. Descriptions, yours included, that really pleases me to hear, and that seems to assure this is indeed, as you put it, no subtle upgrade.

I'll try out the LPS-1U(or the one with the optional USB-S/PDIF converter) when it arrives. Is the shipping date set(mid April)? And the price I suppose is still $329+$110?

Best,
M

Gene8

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2011, 07:33 am »
Hi !  I just  joined this forum.

If the Linear PSU can be used with the CDP 8 then can it be used with the Icon Amp which has the same model of PSU as the CDP8 (PSU Model FY1504500) ? Will there be any improvement to the Icon Amp ?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:27 am »
The linear PSU definitely improves CDP-8 sound, you can tell in 10 seconds.  I just heard it.
Shipping mid April.
Casey said it will improve HDP, but you should get the version with the converter.
ya, we are getting close to diminishing return here. Price of copper double in the past year :(.
Think of the price of Porsche 911 versus 911 Turbo.  Double to price just to add incremental performance.

So best value is to get the PSU with 4A and 1A outputs.

Gene8

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:47 pm »
Hi Casey,

The standard PSU that comes with the HDP has output of 1.6A.

So when you are getting good performance results with the LPS + HDP are you connecting the HDP to the 1A output or the 4A output ? Or is there no difference between the two outputs of the LPS where the HDP is concerned ?

phusis

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2011, 05:16 pm »
Casey said it will improve HDP, but you should get the version with the converter.

Jason,

(as a non-techie)What is it that the USB-S/PDIF converter does,  and why is this a better solution? Can you explain how it'll affect the sound compared to the "straight from the pc via USB to HDP" option(that I' now using)?

Best,
M

balu

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:32 pm »
Are these power supplies switchable between the two supported input voltages (110V and 220V)?