REL Storm III Static/Rumbling Noise Problem

sfig

REL Storm III Static/Rumbling Noise Problem
« on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:43 pm »
My REL Storm III is makes a static/rumbling noise at idle and I'm hoping someone might know what's wrong or what the best way to diagnose it would be.  If it makes the sound during music play, I can't hear it but it's pretty annoying when it's at idle.  I don't know if this is relevant but the green power switch light seems to pulse right along with the noise.  Thanks for your help.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: REL Storm III Static/Rumbling Noise Problem
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:52 am »
I hope you find an answer because I have the same or similar problem in an Infinity sub.  I had intentions of opening it up and seeing if the plate amp or maybe a driver basket was at fault.  But then I bought another sub I liked better and the Infinity sits unresolved in the corner.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:36 am »
Have you looked at or felt the cone of the driver while it is making this sound? Is this when a turntable is the source?

sfig

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:51 pm »
I've not played my turntable in at least a week and it does not seem to be source specific.  The sub has a metal mesh cage covering the driver but I'll look to see if that can come off without too much effort.

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm »
I have a REL Storm III that I bought in Europe 10 years ago and ran off a step up transformer here in the US for years, I contacted REL in the UK in order to modify the AC input for the US and found Richard Lord to be very unhelpful (I'm being polite) and the US importer (Sumiko) to be disorganized and expensive...they had terminated a relationship with their local repairer, had no alternative and refused to allow third parties access to schematics. 

Fast forwarding to last year: I contacted Sumiko, now they've bought out REL, and found the lady that runs the repair department to be the complete opposite of what I'd experienced before.  I ultimately sent back the plate amp and had the voltage switch, light fix and upgrades carried out for a reasonable amount of money.

My suggestion, based on this experience, would be to put a call in to Sumiko and speak to the REL customer support department.  Good luck - the Storm III is a great musical sub.

sfig

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:05 am »
Thank you for the contact at Sumiko.  I just spoke with the REL customer service person and she was very helpful.  To her, my problem sounded like an EMF issue with the high level speakon cable positioning rather than a problem inside the subwoffer.  I just tried tightening down the speakon connections but that did not help.  Next, I'll try repositioning the wire according to her advice and then if that doesn't work, she gave me the contact for repair in my area.  We'll see.....

hype7

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2012, 08:09 am »
Guys

Glad I found this and am not going crazy - I have exactly the same problem. In fact, it's happening to me now for the second time; I bought this sub, had the problem, and then had to get the driver replaced to fix it. This did fix the issue but now it's back again.

I think it's something of a power-related issue because at one stage I could plug it in to another part of my house and it wouldn't happen. After the problem gets to a certain point, though, doesn't matter where you plug it in.

Looks like I'm going to have to take it back for repair again — this time I'm suspecting it's going to be expensive.

-- james