N2X or N3 as an In-Wall Design?

dman

N2X or N3 as an In-Wall Design?
« on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:50 pm »
Hi,
I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a while. After searching quite bit I've been unable to find much on the topic of building any of the GR designs into the walls. I assume it's because this type of speaker has to make a lot compromises.

I'm thinking about building a set of N2x or N3 mostly for music but also for home theater use. The mains would be built the conventional way. However, the room layout dictates that the surrounds be built into the wall. I'm considering building sealed enclosures to fit between the studs. The walls are 2X6 so there should be plenty of depth. Has anyone here successfully built the N2X or N3s as in-wall design?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Danny Richie

Re: N2X or N3 as an In-Wall Design?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:56 pm »
I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a while. After searching quite bit I've been unable to find much on the topic of building any of the GR designs into the walls. I assume it's because this type of speaker has to make a lot compromises.

Yeah, you basically have to design it on or in a wall so that the wall reflections are part of the measured response.

I'm thinking about building a set of N2x or N3 mostly for music but also for home theater use. The mains would be built the conventional way. However, the room layout dictates that the surrounds be built into the wall. I'm considering building sealed enclosures to fit between the studs. The walls are 2X6 so there should be plenty of depth. Has anyone here successfully built the N2X or N3s as in-wall design?

Anytime you build a speaker into the wall, it will always sound like it is planing from the wall forward.

Have a look at our A/V-1RS. http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=113

It mounts on the wall but avoids the typical on wall problems. It is an omni direction on wall that creates a large sound field that goes beyond the boundaries of the walls. So you don't localize a point source for the sound.

nickd

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:07 pm »
Wish I would have known about the A/V-1RS before I mounted a in celing surround speaker. :duh:

But Danny, those of us with behind the screen inwalls have been looking for somthing better for quite some time. The Wisdom stuff is good but it costs a fortune (not even including electronic crossovers and amps) and the 6" woofer he uses is not as good as the peerless India 5" or 6" drivers you use in most of your stuff. The market is there for a serious in wall Danny. I heard a pair of Jamo's Seas based 6 1/2" two way inwalls that retailed for $2500 a few years back and I was amazed at how good an in wall can sound if done right.

We just need Just need to get you on board Danny so they're cost effective and sound good too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:26 pm »
I have had an on wall solution (a real on wall solution) that does away with the limitations and boundaries of a traditional on wall. One of these days I will need to make it happen.

murphy11

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:40 pm »
Does anyone have a link to a picture of the mounted speaker? I'm having trouble picturing what Danny is describing.

dman

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:08 am »
Will the A/V-1RS sound ok in a room with a sloped ceiling? My listening room has a cathedral ceiling with slope of about 30 degrees.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:18 am »
Will the A/V-1RS sound ok in a room with a sloped ceiling? My listening room has a cathedral ceiling with slope of about 30 degrees.

No problem. It just projects the image further out into the room. Just try to get the tweeter about 16 inches from the ceiling above it if you can.

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2011, 03:08 am »
Does anyone have a link to a picture of the mounted speaker? I'm having trouble picturing what Danny is describing.

Look here:

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=113

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2011, 03:11 am »
I have 4 of them in my HT and love them