Pavane (Psvane) tubes from the mail today!

Sam-fi

Pavane (Psvane) tubes from the mail today!
« on: 16 Feb 2011, 08:46 pm »
I can't wait to get these in my Rogue. I am so excited.  :D

Posting my impressions here soon.

Sam

TJHUB

Re: Pavane (Psvane) tubes from the mail today!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:05 pm »
What Rogue do you have?

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:27 pm »
Cronus.

It is off to my Yoga class I may not get a chance for a while to try these out actually   :(

Sam

grodri02

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:54 pm »
Whats the verdict?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:40 pm »
I can't wait to get these in my Rogue. I am so excited.  :D

Posting my impressions here soon.

Sam

Cronus.

It is off to my Yoga class I may not get a chance for a while to try these out actually   :(

Sam

I guess Sam's excitement in posting his Pavane tube impressions soon was a yoga stretch.  :jester:

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:31 am »
I'd be interested to get more feedback on how others perceive the Psvane tubes.  I'm still very much in the air with my impressions.  I started out disliking both my Psvane 12au7-Ts and 845-Ts but they ended up growing on me over time...   I still can't help the nagging feeling at times that I'm convincing myself of their superiority. 

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:18 am »
I've had the Pavane 12AU7 in the pre-amp section of my Rogue Cronus for a few months now. I like it.

Power tubes have been Black Treasure 6CA7s and Genalex re-issue KT66s. Small signal tubes have been Mullard CV4003, Raytheon black plate and RCA clear top 12AU7s for the drivers; GE long plate, Mashsushita, and gold pin Tung Sol 12AX7s for the phase splitters. Adding the pre-amp position, this obviously makes for a very large number of possible combinations. Which I have been obsessively pursuing.  :roll:

Previously and alternately I've used a Mullard CV4003, RT 12AU7 ('65 lot), Raytheon black plate, RCA clear top and Sylvania 12AU7 in the pre-amp position.

And the winner is    :drums:     Well it depends - but you knew that was coming. It, of course, depends on the combination of other tubes used.

The Psavane is berry, berry good (couldn't resist in light of the constant mis-spelling of Pavane). From memory it most closely resembles the Mullard in sound, which is a good thing IMO. I say from memory because I haven't put a Mullard in the Cronus for a long time as they've all (3) gone noisy in the pre-amp position (even one of Upscale Audio's special "CJ test"). I haven't had that problem with any of the other tubes listed, including the Pavane which has remained very quiet (knock wood). Parenthetically, the Mullard is the tube I use most often in the driver stage. I haven't tried the Pavane, given it's price, in that placement.

The Pavane is warmer than the other tubes (excepting the Mullard) but is still very resolving and has good extension. Generalizing, I tend to prefer it when using the Genalex KT66s but with the right small signal tubes the result is just as enjoyable as, if obviously different from, any other pre/amp combinations of tubes.

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 04:31 pm by rpf »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2011, 04:55 pm »
  When we had the Bolder modded EE DAC for our club meeting, I switched out the Pavane 12AT7 for a RCA, Mullard and Telefunken. The Pavane was more akin to the Mullard but with flashes of the Tele meaning detailed but smooth. The RCA was the darkest, Mullard, Pavane then Tele. The RCA with the Bolder was my favorite, nice combo.
  For $90 a pair for the Pavanes and over $200 for real NOS tested tubes IMO a no brainer for the Pavane.
  I use 211s Ge 4TC at the moment as my RCAs went south. The Pavane 211Ts are in my future.

charles

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2011, 05:09 pm »
Interesting.  I compared the  Pavanes to the Mullards (1952 LP & CV4003) and they were pretty dissimilar in my Bolder modded EE DAC.  The Mullards are much more laid back sounding with the midrange being detailed by also recessed whereas the Pavens are almost forward sounding by comparison.  The Pavanes are significantly more extended both ways and a little less holographic (depth) than the Mulls.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2011, 06:37 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying some of the 211Ts myself at some point.  It's good to see some impressions of these starting to roll in.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2011, 07:10 pm »
I bought 4 Black Treasure 6CA7s and 4 Pavane 12AX7's for my amps. I really like the sound. I'm going to switch back to my NOS mullard 12AX7's tonight just to see if I can hear a difference?

rpf

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2011, 04:43 pm »
Interesting.  I compared the  Pavanes to the Mullards (1952 LP & CV4003) and they were pretty dissimilar in my Bolder modded EE DAC.  The Mullards are much more laid back sounding with the midrange being detailed by also recessed whereas the Pavens are almost forward sounding by comparison.  The Pavanes are significantly more extended both ways and a little less holographic (depth) than the Mulls.

As I said, I'm going from long term memory. Also, I just said that the Pavane and Mullard were more similar to each other than either is to any of the other tubes I tried; in particular in being on the warm side. I can't recall how they compare in terms of depth/holography but I suspect that, as you say Fred, the Pavane is more extended.

I'm tempted to put a Mullard back into the pre position to do a close comparison but probably won't given their failure rate there.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
I found my Mullard's to be superior to the Pavane's. The soundstage was layered and deeper into the back wall. The Pavane was too in my face. Not my style. The mid bass and midrange were way better with the Mullard. More involving! I thought the Pavane was more detailed? But I think brighter might be the answer. I'm not saying it's a bad tube, just not as good as my Mullard in my system. But they will make good back ups along with my Telefunkens.

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2011, 05:34 pm »
I found my Mullard's to be superior to the Pavane's. The soundstage was layered and deeper into the back wall. The Pavane was too in my face. Not my style. The mid bass and midrange were way better with the Mullard. More involving! I thought the Pavane was more detailed? But I think brighter might be the answer. I'm not saying it's a bad tube, just not as good as my Mullard in my system. But they will make good back ups along with my Telefunkens.

How much playing time on the respective tube sets?  Perhaps with a few hundred hours the Pavanes will relax a bit. 

I've running Pavanne EL84 & 12AT7 in a Tubelab SimplePP (pentode), and prefer them to the previous combination of current production JJ 84s and NOS Sylvania 12ATs.  The speakers in question are dual Mark Audio EL70 paper cones, and at 89dB sensitivity, need all the extra spank they can get.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2011, 05:52 pm »

Yes the Pavane is tad upfront compared to the Mullard. You are correct. Saying that we were also playing with powercords at the time and the Triode Labs cord changed the game. Forgot that, my bad. It was not a true comparison.
   All I know is that the EEDAC is an overachiever with almost any tube combo.

charles

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:42 pm »

How much playing time on the respective tube sets?  Perhaps with a few hundred hours the Pavanes will relax a bit. 

I've running Pavanne EL84 & 12AT7 in a Tubelab SimplePP (pentode), and prefer them to the previous combination of current production JJ 84s and NOS Sylvania 12ATs.  The speakers in question are dual Mark Audio EL70 paper cones, and at 89dB sensitivity, need all the extra spank they can get.
I have well over 400 hours on my Pavane tubes. Just too bright and forward for my taste.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:43 pm »
   Yes the Pavane is tad upfront compared to the Mullard. You are correct. Saying that we were also playing with powercords at the time and the Triode Labs cord changed the game. Forgot that, my bad. It was not a true comparison.
   All I know is that the EEDAC is an overachiever with almost any tube combo.

charles

Charles, The EE dac might be my next move.. With the Bolder mod of course.

chrisby

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2011, 07:50 pm »
I have well over 400 hours on my Pavane tubes. Just too bright and forward for my taste.

speakers are?

as mentioned above, in my case it's a dual driver /semi-bipole system with small FR paper cone drivers - not the most efficient things, nor as forward / dynamically in your face as say a Fostex FE series.  I should drag a pair of those upstairs for comparisons sake - it's certainly possible the synergy would be quite different.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2011, 07:54 pm »
speakers are?

as mentioned above, in my case it's a dual driver /semi-bipole system with small FR paper cone drivers - not the most efficient things, nor as forward / dynamically in your face as say a Fostex FE series.  I should drag a pair of those upstairs for comparisons sake - it's certainly possible the synergy would be quite different.

Von Schweikert VR-33's

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2011, 12:57 am »

Interesting to read someone else with less than flattering impressions of the Psvanes.  I'm experiencing a love/hate relationship with my own (12au7/845t).  Toying with going back to 845Bs and kicking myself a bit for selling my Siemens Silverplate 12au7s.  They just seem to come up a little short for me in terms of being emotionally engaging.