2011 Capital Audio Fest...

Scottdazzle

Re: 2011 Capital Audio Fest...
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jul 2011, 09:36 pm »
I think they'd have been well served by bringing in the two new Magnepan models (1.7 and 3.7) they have on the floor. That alone would have jammed the room all weekend.

+1 on the Maggies.

richidoo

« Reply #81 on: 13 Jul 2011, 09:56 pm »
Thanks Rich. I looked for you but never saw you. Other AC guys said you were there.  I hope you have a great NC gathering. Our Mid-Atlantic group seems to be on hiatus.

Thanks Scott, I was sorry to miss you too. You know you're always welcome to come down... ;)  This is our first meet in a year too, everyone's been so busy.

A couple friends of mine from WV stopped into the Gifted Listener on Friday before the show. They heard the 3.7s and said it was simply awesome. They kept mentioning them through the show and how I HAVE to hear them. I still have not heard a properly powered and properly setup pair of Maggies, but at least now I know where to go to hear it. I'll be in MD in August, might have to leave the kids with my Mom and head out on a mission.

I was fortunate to find the TX distributor for Polk holding late night session after hours on Saturday night. I heard them at noon saturday with my own disc, it was pretty bad, stuffy, no dynamics. I was disappointed considering all the hype. But he told me they were brand new for the show. The crossover looks a bit too economical, but drivers and cab are well built. We listened to his fav CDs, mostly rock, blues, prog, very hip stuff, and they had come alive! After 2 hours of that I was convinced they are the real deal. Even on new Beastie Boys CD compressed to hell, they revealed all the layering and complex production tricks going on, making it pretty fun. But you're right, the AR gear always makes everything sound its best, and then some. 
Rich

Phil A

« Reply #82 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm »
I think they'd have been well served by bringing in the two new Magnepan models (1.7 and 3.7) they have on the floor. That alone would have jammed the room all weekend.

I concur.  I honestly don't understand some dealers.  Deja Vu sold a huge very expensive system at the show.  I ended up speaking to the Integra rep at the show and I ordered a closed out (there's less than 100 left) DVD universal player (from the local dealer in Tysons Corner) to see how it will work with my HDMI audio de-embedder into the DAC vs. my Oppo and I figured at the price it was worth a shot.  I shot the dealer an E-Mail first and then spoke to him to give me the credit card to place the order.  When I mentioned they missed the show the answer was they had 30 customers in the show room and would have no one to service them (they could have sent one person to the show or even teamed with Integra).  I also mentioned the size of the system that Deja Vu sold and they seemed mildly annoyed.  To each their own.  Who would not want to be in a place to show hundreds of potential customers what they have and get Stereophile coverage?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #83 on: 14 Jul 2011, 02:49 pm »
Here's a link to my report on the show which includes some pics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.new#new

Phil A

« Reply #84 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm »
Nice report and pics.  Thank goodness you did not include any pictures of me and spoil perfectly good looking audio stuff.  Maybe next year we can do an Audio Circle room at the bar and display different brands of beer and discuss which ones had better synergy with particular set-ups. 8)

pansixt

« Reply #85 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:40 pm »
^^^Ditto ^^^

And as soon as I get the Oppo DV980H, that I purchased from Steve (Atlplasma)
on the trading post, connected to my AVA Vision DAC, I will be listening to the
Mapleshade CD of The C-Nuts.

James

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #86 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:56 pm »
Any comments on High Water Audio's room?  I was impressed with Jeff Catano's (I think that's his name) setup last year but couldn't make the Cap Audio Fest this year.

pansixt

« Reply #87 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:28 pm »
Here's a link to my report on the show which includes some pics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.new#new

Yes, Dan got some pictures and commented on them. 3rd and 4th clip from the top I think.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #88 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:25 am »
Any comments on High Water Audio's room?  I was impressed with Jeff Catano's (I think that's his name) setup last year but couldn't make the Cap Audio Fest this year.

Jeffrey Catalano was one of my favorite people at the show, he reminded me of my hippie friends many years ago.  His passion for outstanding audio shone through his descriptions and his setup.  The Horning Hybrid Eufrodite Ultimate Zigma Plus loudspeakers were some of my favorites at the show, the combination of delicate slam has to be heard to be understood.  I believe he was driving the eight 8" drivers, a full range Fostex used as midrange and a tweeter with 18 watts of SET power.  The TW-Acustic (not a typo) Black Knight turntable was impressive looking and sounding.  There was virtually no acoustic treatment of the smallish room and it sounded wonderful.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #89 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:45 pm »
Thanks for your comments and pics Letitroll.  Last year Jeffrey brought Aspara speakers which my wife and I really liked, and I was wondering how the Hornings sounded.  Since there weren't many comments on High Water's room, I figured that most found it uninvolving or not to their liking.  Any other comments, positive or negative, are appreciated.