Cheap and Cheerful SACD?

Sam-fi

Cheap and Cheerful SACD?
« on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:03 am »
I am currently using a cheap cd changer and absolutely love the results. Somehow, this Yamaha kicks butt!
The issue is that my system has become ever greater and I may need an update on this vital piece of my system.

Does there exist an SACD/cd player worth it's salt in the cheap and cheerful realm?

Thanks
Sam

Phil A

Re: Cheap and Cheerful SACD?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:07 am »
It depends on whether you go analog or can pass DSD to a receiver or pre/pro to decode it.  The Sony 370 or BDP-BX37 seems really good on 2-channel SACD passing DSD.  I have it in my office system for a few weeks and have not had tons of time with it but for under $100 it sounds really good.

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:51 am »
So you hook that up to a DSD capable dac?

What if I just wanted it in one box? I am thinking an Arcam diVa or something.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:55 am »
So you hook that up to a DSD capable dac?

What if I just wanted it in one box? I am thinking an Arcam diVa or something.

I have it going to a DSD receiver (Pioneer 1120) in the office system

decal

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm »
The Sony 595 is a very good sounding 5 disc SACD changer. I use one in my small system.You have to watch the refurbished section on SonyStyle very dilligently.They show up every now and again for less than $100.00.Don't let the low price fool you,this is a very nice sounding player.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:08 pm »
For analog, I used to have a Sony 2000ES Changer in the bedroom system before I had an HDMI capable receiver.  Very good sounding unit for the money as well on the used market

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:18 pm »
Stereophile just gave a $300 Marantz SACD player a good review.  Current issue.

Sam-fi

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:32 pm »
 :lol: they give everything a good review...

I don't read it anymore because it never seems to reveal anything vital to the product they are reviewing. That one might be worth checking out though.

Sam

PS. I think I can hunt a stereophile down at my local hi-fi shop.

Sam-fi

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:36 pm »
hrm, you sure that isn't a cd player that got reviewed. I can't seem to find anything that fits the description of $300 sacd player on the Marantz website.

Sam

Mike Nomad

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:27 pm »
Pioneer has a low-end Elite player (DV-49AV) that will pass DSD through the HDMI out. List is $199, expect to pay $150.

I had an earlier version of this player (DV-47AV) and was real happy with the results, given the price point.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm »
My bad.  It is a $350 CD player, not SACD player.

You can find an older Oppo player for around $100.  I owned one for a short amount of time.  Wasn't too thrilled about the quality of SACD playback though.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2011, 12:12 am »
I've owned and still have some a bunch of players.  I had a Pioneer Elite DV-47A universal player in the secondary bedroom system (connected via analog) for a few years.  Not great on SACD, passable CD and decent DVD-A.  I also had in the bedroom system (connected via analog) a Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player.  Built like a tank, decent on SACD.  I have a Oppo DV980H universal in the secondary basement system now (I'm waiting on the Emotiva DAC and going to use an HDMI audio de-embedder with it) and had it in the bedroom for a few years.  It's hard to complain about a $170 player, but I am an audiophile and via analog CD and SACD were not terrible but I moved the Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer from the basement to the bedroom as I could not live with it.  When I got a Marantz SR6003 receiver in the bedroom and connected the DV980H via HDMI it was much better (I ended up selling the 2000ES) and it was both good passing DSD and SACD converted to PCM (at 88.2kHz) to the Marantz SR6003.  The Sony BDP-BX37 (same as the 370) sounds very good as passing DSD to the receiver.  I have not tried the analog outs.

I'd guess if I had a player that could pass DSD to a capable receiver or pre/pro there would be differences but not as dramatic as analog connections and there are lots of choices.  If I had to go with a cheap player for analog, I'd get a Sony 2000ES at the bottom end.  I sold mine here perhaps 6 mos. back for $170 I think including shipping so it was like about $140.  If I had a bigger budget of say around $450 you might be able to snag a Marantz DV9600 (give or take a drop).  I have one of those that has passed from the main system to the basement system and now is back in the main system as a CD transport (and it is a wonderful one) and for kicks I have the analog outs running through an old Carver Sonic Hologram generator.  I have a modded Oppo BDP-83 in the main system and an HDMI audio de-embedder with an upgraded power supply.  Sometimes I prefer the SACD via analog with the BDP-83, sometimes I like it converted to PCM and running through my DAC so it is source dependent.

Sam-fi

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2011, 06:08 pm »
Thank you so much for your answer. That is such a great response. It seems everything up for sale at the moment is overpriced. I suppose I will just have to keep hunting.

Sam

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm »
:lol: they give everything a good review...
Sam

Sam : Go express that thought at the Bryston Circle. Then duck... :peek:
 :lol:

D.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2011, 06:38 pm »
Dunno how cheap you mean, but here is a thought (based on my love of external DACS, my reviewing over a dozen of them inhouse, my infatuation with a cheap hdmi de-embedder solution short-term, and my love for hirez  :)  )
*  Sony 370 or 470 BluRay/SACD player ($100-130)
*  Monoprice HDMi de-embedder ($43)
*  Eatern Electric Minimax DAC ($750)

This solution gets you into hirez by allowing 24/176.4k SACD and 24/192 BluRay to be sent to this wonderfully cheap DAC via coax.  Also redbook, of course (via your current redbook player)...and readies you for any computer hard disk playback too.  It is fully upgradeable in that you can always improve the transport (hardly worth it for these purposes), improve the DAC (Bolder Cable mods; see thread here) or replace any piece like the DAC with another....yadayada.  I dare you get a better 2 channel sound for $850-900. 

http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S470-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4CK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297881280&sr=1-1

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80555.0

Sam-fi

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
You know, I used to be dac crazy - I have owned quite a few, thinking they were the answer. But now, the simpler my system gets... the more I find my self smiling.
I am trying to keep this a one box solution to replace my current Yamaha "natural sound" changer.

I am really lusting after the Arcam CD37 but it is way out of my price-range.

I keep saying cheap and cheerful but I really mean that my top budget is probably $200 to $400.

Sam

PS. I got some new audio stuff in the mail today and l :o k what has arrived! My Mahler Symphony 2 on Hybrid SACD and Art Blakey Moanin' Hybrid SACD!

hifitommy

it looks like you guys covered the waterfront.
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:38 pm »
i will state that the oppos are a great bargain, just search for some reviews.  one of the benefits of sacd players is that rbcd usually sound better when played on them due to the upsampling where the signal is filtered and leaves much less ringing to be audible in the audible range. 

good job guys.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:55 pm »
You know, I used to be dac crazy - I have owned quite a few, thinking they were the answer. But now, the simpler my system gets... the more I find my self smiling.
Sam

+1, Sam. When I rebuilt my system last year, I pared it down to the essentials. Almost everything from makers who also have a presence in pro audio. I love the results. There is much to be said for simplicity.
 :thumb:
D.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »
I got the Emotiva DAC this past week for the secondary basement system.  Hooked it up on Thursday and have been breaking it in.  Using an old Oppo DV980H along with the cheap Monoprice HDMI audio de-embedder (actually using the power supply that came with the Squeezebox Touch with - I upgraded that one and although it is a switcher it is better than what comes with the Monoprice box) and it sounds really good for the money.  The DAC was $299 (I think they raised the price to 4349), the Oppo was $170 when new (I had it in the bedroom system for a bit) and the de-embedder was $43 and change.  The systems sound good and I have nothing really serious audiophile in it.