Best lo profile audio setup?

bikes and beats

Best lo profile audio setup?
« on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:34 am »
I have a strong desire to get great audiophile sound in a cheap and userfriendly interface that will be entirely interfaced via wifi with my computer. Right now I'm using an Apple airport express to send files to my Dali Lektor bookshelf speakers via my main amp, a Hypex 200 watt which I've inserted in place of the HK stereo receiver I normally use in this smaller system. Its overkill and hot rod and -unfortunately- sounds way better to me. Anything out there under 500$ that will give me a volume control and maybe a DAC that isn't a 10-watt Tripath-amp?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Best lo profile audio setup?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:44 pm »

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:40 pm »
How about a NuForce Icon-2?

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/icon2/index.php

It could be a nice choice (for people with tight budget), i have read good reviews at HF.

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
Check out Napa audio... Good luck with that, I couldn't seem to find them anywhere on google. 

Check out the post here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86946.msg850796#msg850796

Tyson and I both really loved this room. Very cheap gear and superb build quality and sound.

Edit: I think the tubed integrated had a built in DAC, but don't quote me on that.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2011, 05:45 pm »
Here's the Napa Acoustic link.

tomwhite

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:47 pm »
Im curious about it, are they new on the market?

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:14 pm »
I think they are new to the market. Yet another up and coming chinese manufacturer. Something I see more and more at RMAF. For the price, it's hard to say you could find something as nice looking and sounding. I just wish their website gave useful info on the inputs and outputs of the amps!  :duh: :duh: :duh:

bikes and beats

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:38 pm »
Nice ideas. One box is best but I could deal with two if hey were small and looked similar.  I might need to try an ICON/Virtue size amp and see of its got enough grunt. I'd only need two boxes then if I wanted to improve on the DAC side of things. My brother has a V-DAC from MF. Anyone heard it?

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm »
How about a NuForce Icon-2?

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/icon2/index.php

This unit has a non standard way of connecting speakers, i.e. RJ45 jack as opposed to traditional speaker binding posts. It may or may not be an issue for you.