Ideal (?) USB output setting on Mac

Derek87

Ideal (?) USB output setting on Mac
« on: 4 Feb 2011, 08:58 pm »
hi everyone,
sorry if somehow my forum searching skills failed here, but i hope there is a simple answer to this question:

- is there and ideal output setting on a Mac (Using the Audio MIDI app) for the USB output feeding a Nuforce HDP which are driving my headphones?

ie, should volume be maxed out so i don't lose any resolution or is all the data still being fed at a less than 100% volume output?

(the reason i'd want to "trim" the USB output (and when i dig up a long enough digital cable -- to at least compare sound quality) is it gets me a bit more range of volume (without blasting my ears to death) with the Nuforce potentiometer as well as leaves open the option for volume adjustment by the keyboard.

anyway, any experience and info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

pjchappy

Re: Ideal (?) USB output setting on Mac
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2011, 09:15 pm »
Typically, you always want the PC-side volume maxed out, if you are using an external volume control, in order to get the highest resolution out of the PC.  I actually haven't heard anyone say otherwise.  However, there's no harm in trying what you proposed and seeing if you like what you hear.

Paul

Derek87

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2011, 09:26 pm »
thanks, Paul.

yeah...that is what i was thinking from an ideal sense.  i can't find anywhere anything that suggests what the Mac is doing when it has its USB output trimmed by a few db...it would make me think that one would lose resolution...the sampling rate shouldn't change, but the dynamic range might suffer...but that's perhaps me overthinking it all! (i can experiment...but it's also comforting to just do what is right in terms of the best possible sound)

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2011, 10:41 pm »
From my very limited understanding of PC side volume control, you are losing some resolution when reducing volume there.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul