Removing seemingly imbedded "streaks" in Piano finish VR-7s

fplanner2000

I know there's been a post similar to this where member are discussing the various ways to clean and shine their VSA speakers.  I didn't have a problem until my cleaning lady decided to "help" me by cleaning my speakers.  I think she used something with an ammonia base, but can't be sure.  the result is that I now have somewhat "streaky-looking" speakers when seen from a certain angle.

Thanks to info from that other thread, I have tried most of the suggestions, with the latest being the Martin Guitar polish, which I have just used.  It helps some, but I still have that problem.  I know nobody else looking at the speakers will see what I see, but since I do, I need to try to fix it.  I've already tried all the "easy solutions".

If anyone's got some brilliance on this, I'm all "ears"... :-)

Thanks

harve

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Removing seemingly imbedded "streaks" in Piano finish VR-7s
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2011, 05:29 pm »
Yo harve, you might try windex or glass plus.  I have used it successfully for a couple of years per Albert's recommendation but the fact that its a solvent troubles me.  It may however take out those pesky streaks.  The brilliance of my suggestion is debatable :-)

fplanner2000

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2011, 05:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion - my fear is that the streaks were actually CAUSED by just such a solvent :cry:

Delacroix

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2011, 05:55 pm »
Harve

Good to hear from you. Without seeing the streaks it's hard to be too constructive but let me note that if the Martin guitar polish helped a little, then you might try somethings I find to be great on my guitars, the Sadowsky two-bottle restoration cleaner and polish  products.  I've used them to better effect than any other similar products (Martin or otherwise) but I recognize that the size of your wonderful 7s means there's a lot more surface to cover than on my old guitars. However, a little of these goes a long way and might be just the ticket. You can buy these direct from Sadowsky guitars site, about $10 per bottle: http://secure.sadowsky.com/store/

Some fellow guitarists swear by naptha too but the Sadowsky products have worked wonders for me on dirty, grimy used guitars that looked like they'd never shine up again.

Let us know how you get on.

fplanner2000

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm »
Thanks a lot for the tip - I just ordered a full kit - shd be here next week.  Guess its time to get the old guitars out!!

fplanner2000

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:13 pm »
D-
Tried the Sandusky 2 step cleaning and polishing process.  It didn't take the streaks out at all, but looks very shiny from the OTHER 12 angles of sight.  I'm getting a bit frustrated - this shouldn't have happened on this quality of finish, as I understand it.

To repeat, its not the surface, but JUST BELOW the surface where the streaks exist.  I'm not a streakologist by any means, but it would seem to me that some type of CHEMICAL reaction my have occurred with whatever solvent my cleaning lady used.  I'm puzzled - it almost seems to be in the polyurethane or whatever it is that gives these speakers their shine.

Thanks for trying to help - this might be an Albert/Damon question, definitely not solvable by over the counter cleaners that I have found.  If anyone else can help, please do!

fplanner2000

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
Charles-

Thanks for the response.  What's been your experience with these products and which one(s)? 

I also have Virtuoso cleaning and polishing system that was highly recommended by a few guitar players that I will try this afternoon.  I just can't keep buying all these things that are just trying to mask instead of solve the problem.  Surface masking isn't working.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:45 pm »
I use the High gloss piano finish only but you can do a search on the web for reviews

fplanner2000

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:20 am »
FYI - Virtuoso cleaner and polish actually made the streaks WORSE!!  Unbelievable.....  I had to use the Sandusky system twice to get out the Virtuoso.  It also got out a bit more of the original steakiness.  I will probably try it a few more times when I get the chance - there is definite promise here.   Thanks again D.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:42 am »
harve, looks like you may have to buy that pair of gloss black VR11s.

diamonds

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2011, 05:03 pm »
I had streaks and Albert told me to use car wax.  Took them right out.

fplanner2000

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:12 am »
Diamonds - Thanks - I may try that to see if it gets out the last bits that the Sandusky can't quite get.  D - are you listening?
Gavin - Which 11's are those?

Harve

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:30 pm »
Just envision these in gloss black.....HOOAH  :thumb:

fplanner2000

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2011, 03:38 pm »
OK - I thought someone was selling theirs.... :-)

JackD201

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2011, 07:59 am »
Here ya go Harve. Gloss Black 11s. If a VR-12 ever comes out this pair will go on the auction block for sure

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2011, 08:44 am »
And the bidding went on,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqgjCKm9nQ

Good luck Harry.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm »
Here ya go Harve. Gloss Black 11s. If a VR-12 ever comes out this pair will go on the auction block for sure

Hey Jack..those midrange drivers are black whereas mine are a metallic color.  I'm thinking mine are an upgrade...correct?  Aerogel??

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
Same driver, same coating, different color  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:45 pm »
The change was due to some sort of toxic issue as I recall  :scratch: