Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #280 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:49 am »
Arturo Sandoval at Macky Auditorium in Boulder, CO...WoW!  :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #281 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:04 am »
Almost forgot - Elvis Costello in the opry house in Charlotte (Blumenthal Performing Arts Center)

He played for 2 1/2 hours almost non-stop with his keyboard player. His acoustic guitars sounded sometimes good, sometimes not so good. The evils of trying to make an acoustic into an electric guitar...

chadh

« Reply #282 on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:50 pm »

I caught The Bad Plus last night at The Ark, in Ann Arbor.  I enjoyed it a lot.  It was especially great to watch Dave King working his drum kit with so much thought and enthusiasm.  His drumming really provides amazing texture to the music.

The show was really interesting for me.  I own their first three studio albums, but not the last one, Prog, and all of the music they played last night was either from Prog or was new.  So I had heard none of it before.  It seems to me that they are refining their style over time.  They were never a typical jazz band, but in this show they seemed almost totally to eschew the standard idea of a "solo."  There were occasional drum solos, and one lovely, long bass intro to a song called "Giant".  But I can't really recall anything one would refer to as a piano solo in the whole show.  I don't think of this as good or bad - it's just what they've decided to be (much more of a band than a loose collaboration of individual performers).  But I will admit to a little disappointment that, at times, this seemed to mean that Ethan Iverson's piano was reduced to providing atmospheric effects for Reid Anderson's big, fat, juicy bass lines and Dave King's textural experimentation on the drums.

This last observation was probably most obvious during the two popular covers they played:  "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (Tears for Fears) and "Heart of Gold" (Neil Young).  In each case, the piano did little more than give a moody, almost reverent rendering of the melody, while allowing the bass and drums to make wild explorations into rhythmic, harmonic and textural worlds the writers of original versions likely never could have imagined.  These covers were good, maybe even great.  But I missed having the the brilliance of an exciting improviser on the piano take center stage, at least for a little while.

For me, the real upside of their cohesive ensemble approach to performance is revealed in the frightening power and authority with which they play when the music reaches out to its ecstatic peaks.  The highlight of the show, then, was the tune they used to close their set, "Physical Cities" from the Prog album, especially when they issued a long report of staccato, percussive effects in unison near the end of the song.

All things considered, I really recommend that you see them live if you get a chance.  It's the rare concert where my attention is captivated for every second of the performance, but this one went pretty close.

Chad

TONEPUB

« Reply #283 on: 21 Sep 2007, 03:01 pm »
Todd Rundgren on Wed night, and Sonny Rollins tonight!

Henry Rollins next month....

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #284 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:37 pm »
Wailin' Jennys http://www.thewailinjennys.com/at Birchmere last night.  I really enjoyed it.  They are in NYC tonight. Catch them if you can.  The new alto, Heather, looks and sounds gorgeous -- an alto Diane Krall.  Nicky reminds me of Ani DiFranco and Ruth sounds like a cross between Dolly Parton and Margo Timmins.  The one boy Jenny, Jeremy, had moments of Stefan Grappelliesque brilliance. 

:thumb: :thumb:  :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #285 on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:45 am »
John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension at the Town Hall, NYC.
This was a real last minute thing...just so happen to pick up the Village Voice this afternoon and saw this concert listed...and since I missed their last concert a few weeks ago...needless to say all the good seats were gone, ended up in the rafters(balcony).
Was a good concert, the band took a while to jell...for me the drummer was the weak link, man, was he playing either too much or off on his own tempo, he needed to be muzzled/tied/restrained/tossed in the ocean...was a joy to see/hear JohnnyMac, still got those chops, but I enjoyed him more when he slowed down and started bending and stretching the notes...aaaahhhh heaven.

mjosef

« Reply #286 on: 9 Oct 2007, 03:15 am »
Sat night caught the Frank Carlberg Qunitet @ Cornelia Street Cafe. Piano/bass/drums/sax/voice. Small intimate setting below the restaurant. The sound was very good and well balanced, all the instruments sounded clean....

low.pfile

« Reply #287 on: 11 Oct 2007, 01:23 am »
Jose Gonzalez
Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
nicely played

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #288 on: 18 Oct 2007, 10:36 pm »
Wilco last night at the Fox in Detroit was fantastic.  Crowd was really into it, they were really into it ... just a great performance all around.  I've seen them several times now and they never dissapoint.  Definitely a highlight of the fall concerts I've seen thus far and for that matter the entire year.

Been a weird mix of shows for me this fall in Detroit:

- Ben Harper at the Fillmore (formerly the State Theater) was another GREAAAT performance (aside from ambient noise from the bar area which was incredibly annoying during his acoustic tunes)

- Beastie Boys also at the Fillmore were LOUD LOUD LOUD.  Good thing I had my ear plugs as they did a lot of their punk tunes interspersed with the more recent instrumental stuff that I really wanted to hear.  Fun nonetheless.

- Bjork at the Fox was just plain different if not technically/acoustically all that good.  The keyboardist was playing something called a "reactable" that uses objects placed on a flat display surface to create sounds from samples (http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/).  The objects are then rotated and moved to adjust their levels and relationships to other sounds.  Oh yeah, there was also a 10-piece horn section backing her up.

nature boy

« Reply #289 on: 18 Oct 2007, 10:40 pm »
Saw Bruce and the E Street Band at Continental Arena in NJ.  EXCELLENT show.

NB

Captain Humble

« Reply #290 on: 27 Oct 2007, 05:35 pm »

Loreena McKennitt and her entire band were spot on. :thumb:

I've never been a fan of Frampton's so I went in with extremely low expectations.
A friend had suggested we take the wives for a nice dinner in Fort Worth and then catch the show.
Neither of us had ever been to Billy Bob's so it sounded like a nice way to kill a Saturday night.
So Frampton wasn't the draw, we would of hit Billy Bob's regardless of who was playing.

The sound wasn't very good in Billy Bob's.
Having never been there before I don't know if it was the venue or a band issue.
Frampton nor his band did anything that would make them stand out over an average bar band, but he certainly won me over with his attitude.  He totally sold me on the fact that he was having a great time and quite frankly so did we.

Overall both concerts were very enjoyable albeit for different reasons.
Jeff

stereocilia

« Reply #291 on: 31 Oct 2007, 06:46 pm »

Saw the Tragically Hip on Saturday (Oct 27).  Excellent show; high energy.  I think they have some of the coolest songs in the genre.  I still haven't decided if the multiple failed attempts at flipping the microphone stand around the back were amusing or annoying.  What was annoying was the intrusion of a gag-inducing stench that appeared just  before the encore.  My wife pointed out that the guy slouched over behind us just barfed.  It was so nasty we had to move back ten rows.

WGH

« Reply #292 on: 4 Nov 2007, 03:54 pm »
A Party in the Park - Bookman's 30th Anniversary Free Concert at the Reid Park band shell with Corky Siegel and Chicago Blues Reunion and Claexico

I caught the last two acts along with 10,000 happy party goers, both bands played for 1 1/2 hours each and were fantastic. Catch them it you can.

I first saw Corky in the  Siegel-Schwall Band in Chicago in the 60's and still he still plays a mean blues harmonica. The Chicago Blues Reunion includes a who's who of musicians including Barry Goldberg - Organ, Nick Gravenites - Guitar, Harvey Mandel - Guitar, and Sam Lay - Vocals.

Calexico is a Tucson home town band made good. A mix of hard rock, mariachi, and Spanish music mixed into a tasteful  blend - the entire audience was up and dancing. On the stage with Claexico was Mariachi Luz Deluna and Salvador Duran, and with 14 musicians on stage they had a amazing wall of sound while all having a good time. The party was on stage too!

Wayne

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #293 on: 7 Nov 2007, 10:03 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but I am a huge music and audio enthusiast.  I worked in music retail for almost ten years and am currently in the speaker biz.  I also collect rock and roll art and trade live music. 

As for my last show I caught Broken Social Scene at the Aladdin in Portland on 10/27.  It wasn't the typical BSS show as a lot of the members are touring with other bands right now (Do Make Say Think, Stars, Feist, etc.).  The focus was on Kevin Drew's recent solo album, which is great btw, but unfortunately he was sick as a dog on this particular night. 

But as the show progressed it became clear that he wasn't going to let it bring him down.  In fact, I think he felt like he needed to rise to the occasion which made for a unique and in some ways even better show.  For the encore they played It's All Gonna Break, the epic last track from the self titled album, which they hadn't played yet on this tour.  The song started with just Kevin and Brendan on guitar and bass since the rest of the band didn't know it.  The others gradually came in until by the end the song it had built to its full climax.  They even played another song, an audience sing along, even though they were over the venue curfew and were probably fined. 

It was really cool to see a band go the extra mile to put on a great show when many other bands would have just cancelled.  I even scored a nice Mike King print too, so all in all it was a good night.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #294 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:01 am »
Welcome Hicks!

Thanks for sharing - (and thanks for doing the proper signature!)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #295 on: 8 Nov 2007, 08:59 pm »
i saw edgar meyer, sam bush & jerry douglas at lisner auditorium last week - an absolutely amazing show.  if you are at all fond of acoustic stringed instruments, these guys are hard to beat.  especially jerry on slide guitar & edgar on upright acoustic bass.  absolutely amazing performances.  2nd row seating was nice!    :thumb:

i am also looking forward to 2nd row seating tonite, to see vieux farka toure, son of the recently departed ali farka toure - identical seats as the acoustic fest last week!   :thumb:

doug s.

zacster

« Reply #296 on: 8 Nov 2007, 10:27 pm »
Les Paul at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC.  At 92 he can still play.  He's actually a hoot up on stage, telling stories, dirty jokes, bantering with his band and guests.  And his bass player, Nicki Parrott, was HOT, and I made sure to tell her as much after the show.  :drool: She laughed.  There's something about a tall blond, with an Australian accent, playing an upright bass...http://nickiparrott.com/photographs/1

Surprisingly the food they served was good too and not as outrageously overpriced as you'd expect in a NYC club.

TRM

« Reply #297 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:46 pm »
especially jerry on slide guitar

Not to be too picky but Jerry plays dobro. He is an amazing player for sure, sounds like a great show  :thumb:

Phil

« Reply #298 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:57 pm »
Sonny Rollins was a phenomenon at the latest (5oth) Monterey Jazz Festival.  He had been there at the first festival too!  So here he was, 50 years later, looking cool in his shades and white hair (he is 77).  But that horn!  From his first note I knew this night was going to be something special.  As he moved across the stage, filling the arena with an enormous and musical sound, I could only think "the old lion can still roar."  And what a sound it was.

As he was giving a musical lesson to his young players, encouraging them to give their all (they were all impressive) he was also telling a musical story.  The story wasn't about age but about wisdom, full of life and optimism.  At the end of the hour he thanked everyone and said he would be back for the 100th anniversary.

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #299 on: 13 Nov 2007, 11:22 pm »
Saw Ween last night at the Roseland in Portland.

Even though their new album is kind of weak they can still rock it live.  Awesome versions of Voodoo Lady, Transdermal Celebration, Johnny on the Spot among many others.  The crowd sing along for The Blarney Stone was one of the loudest I have ever heard at a show of that size.   

If you are looking for a great all around rock show and aren't averse to some, make that lots, of goofiness then you should definitely check them out before they get too old.   :wink:

I also scored a bizarre and oddly shaped print, bonus!