My recommended iPhone apps for <$1.00

TheChairGuy

My recommended iPhone apps for <$1.00
« on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm »
Many of these likely apply to the iPad...but I wouldn't know...you're on your own there (until I join you potentially with iPad v2)

I've actually yet to pay a single red cent for any app yet...but I'd be willing to pay $0.99 for one that came around.  I'd love to hear your great mostly free apps you've found...and, in turn, will share mine here.

Note that any comments made here are January 28, 2011 and as all of these apps are subject to revisions, better or worse, don't take them as forever guidance in case these topic stretches out for weeks, months or whatnot. 

NEWS
USA Today - Icons are 'sticky' and require a firm push - be forewarned.

Reuters News Pro - I like the worldwide slant here...from a premier news organization

NPR News - I know many decry 'political' when they see this, but it's a singularly excellent news organization with different perspective to me)

YAHOO - A mainstay for me as it has news, finance and sports neatly wrapped in one app

Globe & Mail - Canada's nationwide newspaper for free.  Good stuff here and fresh perspective for me

NewsAusLite - News from all around Australia.  Beats me why I downloaded it - different perspective again.  Can't say I understand one word of the cricket and rugby reports, tho  :)

COMMUNICATION
SKYPE - Seamless transition from laptop to mobile phone with this important service for me.  PC or Mobile Phone to PC (or mobile phone) calls for free....cheap calls worldwide anywhere else.  Video calls now made available in wifi areas from your phone.  Wonderful and used daily.

Free Wi-Fi - A app that finds wifi sites in your area by GPS or zip code entry.  Helpful to find that next Starbucks, etc.

Dragon Dictation - I cannot believe this one is free.  This is the pricey Dragon software that allows you to speak into your phone and it transcribes it into words...which you can then email or sms text..or post to twitter or Facebook if this is your want.  You can make any spelling or grammatical fixes with the handy keyboard they provide.  I don't use a lot, but I'm shocked that this level of innovation is free  :o

Hey Tell - Fabulous - used all the time and all day with my wife and company mates.  It turns your phone into a walkie talkie and allows you to answer emails and texts while driving with voice messages instead of dangerous typing out answers.  A cornerstone I use everyday...you may, too.

BUSINESS / INVESTING (I'm a businessperson and investor so I realize this section may induce yawns for many of you)
Fidelity Investments - My preferred 'bank' for 20 years and a first rate app like the organization itself.  Really well done/ glitch free whether you have an account there or not, but obviously better if you have an account.

Vanguard - Not as useful as Fidelity site, but good perspective from this non-profit investment powerhouse

YAHOO Finance - Well done abridged version of YAHOO's great finance area online.

WSJ Mobile - Wall Street Journal mobile app...good, but annoying that half the articles are subscriber (ie, not free) content.  Still, half the WSJ for free ain't a bad thing  :thumb:

Currency - As it states, a snapshot at currency values across the world and a handy currency calculator, too

Gold Live! - This is KITCO's mobile app....the folks that many rely on for up-to-the-second news and quotes on precious metals, copper, aluminum and crude oil...precious and basic materials that are leading edge indexes of prevailing inflation and deflation worldwide.

TRAVEL / MOBILITY
AutoPilot - If you spend some time in airports...this app is a must.  It tracks every flight across the globe and warns of delays, etc.  Contact website, email and phone numbers for all major airlines and hotels and travel organizations are here, too for reference...as well as links to USA Today weather.  Very handy to have for me.

MapQuest - Free GPS that works nearly as good as the best mobile phone GPS apps that cost $30+.  Mapquest owned by AOL now...so costs are underwritten by them. Yes, spoken street names and all here.  It shows airports, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc just like spendy GPS apps and standalones. It lacks things like telling you your average speed...but, that's what a speedometer is for.  Phantastic stuff.

AAA Roadside - Now, AAA can find you via GPS coordinates rather than you describing the type of telephone poles and rocks you are stranded by :wink: Real peace of mind if you are a AAA member (as I have been for 20 years) .

AAA TripTik - Features are sorta' replicated on AAA Roadside...but for non AAA-members, this may be neat to add (in place of of AAA Roadside)

eFax - Not worthwhile if you don't have an account...but as accounts are free if you don't need a fax assinged to you with your area code - why not apply?  Very helpful indeed as this is my fax service and now I can seamlessly access it the world over

TripAdvisor - Hotel review site extraordinaire. 'Nuff said.

The Weather Channel - Greatly preferred over glitchy Weather.com

SugarSync - A great 'cloud' service device...I can now go away for a nite without my laptop and all my files, now stored in the sky, can be accessed and downloaded if need be.  The service costs $100 yearly and is seamless, but this app is free.

Siri - Find restaurants, movies, events, taxi services and more....using keyboard or oral dictation.  Good stuff here - for free.

HELPFUL
Google - Actually, much like Google online....an entire suite of neat apps to choose (Google Earth, GMail, Translate, YouTube, etc.

Zillow - Longtime renter looking for the right time to buy.  Great and free.

Redfin - See above

Dictionary - Dictionary and Thesaurus in one.

Convert Units - Every conversion imaginable...angles, areas, data, energy, force, length, mass, power, pressure, speed, temperature, time, and volume.  A cornucopia of helpful conversions to have at all times.  This should be standard issue with the iPhone upon purchase.

Craigslist Pro - Find anything you want on Craigslists in the US and Canada

Yelp - Review site for local areas.  Quite helpful to reference for restaurants, hotels and service providers.  Started here in SF, so database is best here it seems.

CNET - A fine site to find near everything electronic reviewed.

Gazelle - Health storage database offered by Quest Diagnostics (one of the big 2 labs in the US...the other being LabCorp).  A place to put any medications or allergies you have, doctor's info, emergency contact info and all your blood tests can be viewed here that you use Quest for.

Edmunds - Wanna' find out about that car you just saw....all everything is here...for free.

Decibels - Yes, a decibel gauge.  Someone here at AC turned me on to it - thank you whoever you are.

GAMES (I'm not big into games, I have enough to do without game sin my life, too)
Talking Tom - This is for my 7yo...most of the kids games that she uses are on Mom's iPhone3.  Every so often tho, I like smacking the cat here :o

iBasket - I'm addicted to this...you caught me

ENTERTAINMENT
Pandora - Dang, a friend told me about this service 2 years ago and I glazed my eyes over.  Great stuff and now I stream into my car system with mini jacks accessory inlet it has.  Love it!

iheartradio - FM radio all over the US...homesick? - connect with your favorite stations here

MISCELLANEOUS
Villanova - You wouldn't care unless your an alumni, but I like to massage PM for my alma mater whenever I can work it in (teehee)

Let's hear/see yours - I already showed you mine!

John

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2011, 06:05 pm by TheChairGuy »

cujobob

Re: My recommended iPhone apps for <$1.00
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:52 pm »
Every App I own is one dollar or less, here are a few others I like that were missed:

Ebay, Deer Hunter Challenge, Pocket Summoner (if you want a Pokemon type game for when you're bored haha), Tap Tap 4 (think Guitar Hero for Iphone), TheDeep pinball, Sudoku 2, Paper Toss, Death Worm (I got this one for free, not sure if it still is), Fruit Ninja (addictive game IMHO), Ant Smasher, Angry Birds, Scrabble Free, FlashLight, Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, Netflix (love this one), I have plenty of others but I haven't used them enough to really know if I should recommend them. 

There are a lot of free text apps that are sort of nice too...I have an Ipod 4G and used to have an Iphone 3G (but hated ATT).  Free texting on wifi is rather nice as I don't much care for my phone's laggy text app.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:28 pm »
Yeah, I left off ebay, Facebook, twitter and a few others as they are obvious if you participate there.

I was trying to create a list for others of apps not so well known...and free (or, almost free)

John

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »
I like Yelp for it's enhanced reality tech (ie, monocle).

Delta Wave

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:04 pm »
I'm really digging the REMOTE app. Since I have my PC as a music server it's a godsend. I don't have to walk across my loft to change anything on iTunes. Oh, it's a free app too.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:50 am »
Nice list, im sure it will be useful.

Add more games to it,  :green:

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:02 am »
doods, there's an apple forum for this!

:duh:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:19 am »
doods, there's an apple forum for this! :duh:

Jason,

It was the first place I was going to put it, but then I read the description for it:

The Apple Core
A circle for the discussion of Apple/Macintosh hardware and software as it relates to use in an audio system.

The iPhone apps didn't have specifically to do with audio....so I judged it a more proper fit here in The Pub.

John

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2011, 06:19 am »
Run Pee....

It tells you when the slow spot in the movie is, so you can use the bathroom without missing much!!

Definitely my favorite!

:)

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2011, 06:24 am »
John,
Not trying to give you a hard time John, you know I love you. I just hate it when topics that I think have wings end up in the wrong spot. And F the forum rules! I constantly post apple non-audio topics in the apple forum because that's how I roll! Any way who cares eh?

One dollar apps that you have to get!

Netflix (as said before)
Soundhound- the 'what's that song I'm hearing?' Tool
Vevo- music videos via youtube

More later.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:26 pm »
Cool - I just downloaded Vevo...probably wouldn't have found that anytime soon, or ever. 

Thanks, Jason  :thumb:

My marketing-oriented mind keeps coming back to the thought that this topic will have the most exposure here in The Pub. 

In addition to it being non-audio oriented and technically ineligible for Apple Forum here at AC.....I think this topic best here the iPhone and iPad has gone well beyond core fans of Apple and deeply into the general population. 

For an 'old guy' of 48 :), I embrace technology willingly....yet this is my first Apple product (ditto for my wife who is, errr, 29 :wink:)

Ciao, John

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:08 am »
Nice warmup, now we need the main course...Droid apps! :icon_twisted: :wink: