LED or Plasma @ 55" or larger?

nomeans

Re: LED or Plasma @ 55" or larger?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:35 am »
Burn-in should not be an issue at all. Any decent plasma tv these days will not have burn-in problems. I have a 4 year-old Panasonic and any burn-in from say having my PC hooked up or watching a game is minor at best and never lasts more than a few minutes. And that's if the still image is up for a LONG time. LEDs on the overall are much better than regular LCDs, however the 240/480hz motion-this/that-craze is ridiculous and makes movies look like soap operas shot on video. I am stunned that anyone would find that appealing.

I wasn't aware of this. What have they done to prevent burn in?

Levi

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:36 pm »
LCD or Plasma with screens 55" or larger are all great.  It boils down to what you do with it after you get them home. 

They look great mounted on the wall without wires sticking out and finally an ISF pro calibration.  It is a must if you are into watching truly good movies. Forget it if you watch regular tv broadcast.

nomeans

« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:31 am »
Does Plasma still suffer from burn in? This is the only reason why I've always purchased LCD's. If they truely have remedied this issue, the next purchase will be a Plasma. Does anyone know what they've done, if anything to cure this problem?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:08 pm »
Does Plasma still suffer from burn in? This is the only reason why I've always purchased LCD's. If they truely have remedied this issue, the next purchase will be a Plasma. Does anyone know what they've done, if anything to cure this problem?

Burn in hasn't been around for years!

You are safe with either technology. 

George

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:29 pm »
I had been using large Plasma screen for many years and so far no burn in.  My son is using it for Playstation and Xbox game consoles.  Needless to say, we totally abuse it.

Please check back in another 5-years.   I am also currently testing Large LED screens. If you can hold off that long. LOL!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:43 pm »
I had been using Plasma screen for many years and so far no burn in.

Please check back in another 5-years.   I am also currently testing Large LED screens. If you can hold off that long. LOL!

Levi,

I am just about to go into the market for a + 60" display and I am heavily leaning towards plasma (specifically Samsung's 64" model).  At this size I have been reading about uniformity issues with the LCD/LED displays.

Which LED displays are you looking at?

George

Levi

« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:55 pm »
I have not replaced my 55" LED yet.  My son loves to play Xbox with his friends and literally abuse it.  So far so good. They are so cheap nowadays.

AV forums Robert Zohn invited me to visit his store next week Sept 17 6pm and Sept 18, 1pm for the 5th annual 55-60" screen shoot out!  The event will have a live webcast if anyone interested. www.livestream.com/hdtvshootout.  

Good luck!

cornelius

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:30 pm »
Plasma picture degradation is still a big problem.  I work in post production, and although we still rely on Plasma monitors for their better accuracy - they lose picture quality very quickly.  I'm not talking about some burn-in with white type that might linger for a little while.  The overall picture degrades - colors, luminance...  Within a few months, I couldn't use my monitor for color correction, it's like mixing with a towel draped over your monitors...

We also have LCD and LED in the office, and those are holding up a lot better...

WerTicus

« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:42 pm »
I certainly can "hear" the differences my higher end audio system offers

Being able to put it into audio terms is makes explaining why plasma is better easy.

Plasma reproduces the source more accurately.

If you like the brighter more saturated image of LCD that is fine... just like some guy might think he prefers a louder stereo system over one playing more quietly, or like a bloated mid bass over a true representation of the bass.

WerTicus

« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:48 pm »
If they truely have remedied this issue, the next purchase will be a Plasma. Does anyone know what they've done, if anything to cure this problem?

The pixels in an image 'orbit' the screen...ie they shift the entire image on the screen every so often by 1 pixel in a 10 pixel circle thus the image is always moving even if its not moving... you cannot see this movement it is happening so slowly...(or maybe it only occurs in fades i dunno the logic behind it)

Also there is some film grain like noise added to the image which cannot be seen from a distance.

It certainly works on Panasonic, new plasmas can sit there cooking for 6 hours.  Only a hint of image retention will be visible, only for a couple of mins before its gone again, only on an otherwise black screen, and only if your close up and actually looking for it.

bummrush

« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:48 pm »
It has to be  super gradual and some tvs are probably better then others that said if it's happening on my hitachi I sure haven't noticed a spec of difference if anything at least 5 years laterI'm still stunned by the pic.

bummrush

« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:58 pm »
The difference is like going from a crystal clean pic of a I touch, I pad then putting a matte type screen protector on the I pad, I think that's kinda what one comparison could be.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
Cornelius - While I don't doubt your credentials or experience, I find you to be contradicting not only my own experience but also those proffered by my premier source of opinion on these matters - namely CNET.

Am I wrong to trust their reviews as much as I do?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:11 pm »
I have both a Plasma (panasonic) and LCD.(LG) and prefer the LCD.

I'm not a videophile though.

YMMV

ratso

« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:31 pm »
if the initial hype is true, we may all be re-thinking the plasma vs lcd thing (i'm a plasma guy). reports are the new sharp/pioneer lcd's are better than the old kuro's by a long shop. not cheap BTW but prices fall quickly in tv's. raves all over the net, here's one:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/televisions/flat-panels/pioneer-elite-pro-x5fd-plasma

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:08 pm »

YMMV

Panasonic Plasmas of a certain vintage have known issues - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462105-1.html

nomeans

« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:52 pm »

YMMV

Would you mind explaining why you favor the LCD over the plasma? What have you noticed regarding the degredation of PQ with the plasma versus the LCD?

Levi

« Reply #37 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:58 am »
My 55" Samsung LED had issues.  I guess one has not to worry about burn-in, just double images.  :lol:

Luckily, I purchased the 4yr extended warranty from Best Buy. :)

I had been using large Plasma screen for many years and so far no burn in.  My son is using it for Playstation and Xbox game consoles.  Needless to say, we totally abuse it.