Reasonably Good Power Conditioner for $100 or Less

Mass. Wine Guy

Reasonably Good Power Conditioner for $100 or Less
« on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:13 pm »
I need an effective power conditioner but don't have thousands to spend. Are there any good ones for $100 or less? Is this one decent?:

http://www.advancedlamps.com/Furman-PST8-PST-8-Power-Station-Series

Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Reasonably Good Power Conditioner for $100 or Less
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:31 pm »
Like Jtwrace has stated above, you can build a felix conditioner for each of your components, stick it in a box and still be right at around $100. Very worthwhile investment. Of course you need to able to read a very simple schematic, but all the details are in the link.

The idea that is in the Felix is seen in some reference caliber conditioner products such as the Audience Adept Series.

Anand.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:39 pm »
Thanks for the link, but this is way beyond my abilities.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:49 pm »
Thanks for the link, but this is way beyond my abilities.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=176.0

Contact Dave about an MajikBuss....he may have a demo or trade.  It will be more then $100 but will be just about all you need.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:58 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=176.0

Contact Dave about an MajikBuss....he may have a demo or trade.  It will be more then $100 but will be just about all you need.

The other thing you can try (and is less expensive, given your $100 budget limit) is a VH Audio Hotbox. Sometimes they come up used from time to time. Look on Audiogon, here on AC and elsewhere. Here is a used one for $225. That's a bargain for what is in it.

Anand.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm »
The Furman unit that you are looking at is OK from a local protection standpoint.  It is NOT a good choice for power filtration, however.  It does minimal noise reduction and is not really suited for high end audio use.

I always recommend that protection and filtration be broken down into 2 efforts.  Fisrt, get your house on a full house protector.  Remember - overvoltage and spikes don't just target audio gear.  Think in this manner - refrigerator, range, computers, dryer, TV's - all of these will take the same abuse that a stereo will.  After you get the whole enchilada taken care of then take on serious noise reduction for the audio gear.  It would suck to save the stereo and lose everything else.

My.02

Dave

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:24 pm »
It would suck to save the stereo and lose everything else.

I agree totally, Dave. But so far after about 11 years, my appliances are still hanging in there. So I'd like to risk it and focus on my audio gear for now.

I am grateful to everyone in the Audio Circle community for your help and patience.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:22 pm »
  You could buy [3] alan Maher CBFs and install them at the electrical panel. One on the circuit used two at the incoming wire bundle. Clean quiet background with no hyped yp topend. Buy a Monster strip and put a AM CBF on that as well.
  Over the years we have owned numerous yes numerous power conditioners all have had a negative affect on sonics but everyone provided a quiet background. Yet to try the Uberbuss though. Audience, Nordost, Richard Grey,MIT, Ticeand then some.  The Alan Maher CBFs do no harm in our systems , just dead quiet with great bass and overall focus. Several of our most sketical members EEs included have tried them and you'll need to pry them away from them. Our experience if it helps.

charles

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:49 pm »
  You could buy [3] alan Maher CBFs and install them at the electrical panel. One on the circuit used two at the incoming wire bundle. Clean quiet background with no hyped yp topend. Buy a Monster strip and put a AM CBF on that as well.
  Over the years we have owned numerous yes numerous power conditioners all have had a negative affect on sonics but everyone provided a quiet background. Yet to try the Uberbuss though. Audience, Nordost, Richard Grey,MIT, Ticeand then some.  The Alan Maher CBFs do no harm in our systems , just dead quiet with great bass and overall focus. Several of our most sketical members EEs included have tried them and you'll need to pry them away from them. Our experience if it helps.

charles

Interesting and very inexpensive, $75 for all 3.

Anand.

Bukada

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:55 pm »
What my remarks will say probably will not meet your perceived need, but I hope so.

Recently I got busy with my various power cords, and over several weeks ran some "auditions" (taking notes, etc). I have dedicated 20 amp lines to the audio equipment.

This is the result of my lengthy experiments:

I moved my amp and preamp PCs to a Maestro outlet (direct, no power conditioner).

I moved my power conditioner (mid-level Chang Lightspeed) to a separate dedicated line, with a Maestro outlet, and it feeds my Tranquility DAC. I do not like the music coming directly from the wall outlet for the DAC; after experimenting with several different power cords, I still prefer to go through the conditioner for the digital source. Regardless of the cord, without the conditioner the music has a bit of glare and granularity in the treble and seems to me to have deficiencies in the midrange and bass.

In my system the results have been important improvements.

So my understanding of this is that a conditioner might optimize particular components, but not all of them. The straight line from outlet to amp and preamp has made a very big difference in my system. And this surprised me because I was "sold" on the quiet background of my power conditioner. I forgot to attend to the dynamics and range. Of course, this might vary from conditioner to conditioner. 

Just my experience offered up for consideration in your systems and the decisions and experiments you conduct.

:) listening,

Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:56 pm »

charles

Interesting as my results were 180* from that.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:40 pm »
Now I'm utterly confused. I don't want to use anyhting that would take away from my system's desired sound. Isn't the Hotbox and some others so called "passive" devices because they don't detract from the audio signal? Am I better off just trying a better wall outlet? This looks interesting, and inexpensive:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrdist&1301204427&/Porter-Port-20-Amp-Porter-Ports

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:59 pm »
MWG,

Porter Ports are a great place to start, well thought of, and reasonably priced, and actually come in some different finishes which allows them to work better in terms of room-decor issues. They are cryo treated as well. So all in all, a great value.

You are going to need upgraded wall outlets as you move forward, so why not start with them.

- David.

Bukada

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:08 pm »
I agree that this can be very confusing. This is my experience with dealing with the confusion:

My experience is that trial and error (dissatisfaction) or satisfaction pays off.

A disciplined approach is a must coupled with knowing exactly what it is I want (and don't want) in your music. By disciplined I mean proceeding with a plan and documenting  (note-taking) what was done and what was perceived/experienced as results. Restraint is important. Sometimes personal mood, fatigue, etc. can greatly affect the way I hear and enjoy things, especially my music systems.

One other factor to remember is that power outlets and cords take time to adapt to the changes made. I suspect the equipment too needs to say "hello" to the changes made. So I can try a particular, well-broken-in power cord, not really care for it in the first few hours. A day or so later it has had a chance to settle in and will sound much different. It still might not be what I want, but it will be different.

I've heard good things about the Porter Ports although I have no experience with them. I've had fine results with the Maestro outlets.

All the best &

:) listening,

Ed 

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2011, 03:21 pm »
I'll definitely change an outlet. Is this worthwhile looking at?:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrcond&1301451610&/Hifi-Tuning-Noise-Destroyer-pa

bushbison

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2011, 03:34 pm »
Keep an eye open on eeee baaay or audiogon or here for ps audio stuff; In my humble opinion, their stuff has the best result for the best price.. still a bit over your $100 budget; I wouldn't spend much on Monster stuff... though i have always had good surge protection from their stuff.. -I think (??!)  :dunno:-, I have never had AUDIBLY positive effects as I have with the PS Stuff... then again, I am HIGHLY unlikely to sample any of the 1000.00 + items out there. Wink2.. just SAYIN'S all...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2011, 03:41 pm »
Interesting as my results were 180* from that.

Meaning ? The conditioners or the Alan Maher devices ? or both ? Our opinions are based on several systems being evaluated.
  Starting with the duplex outlet is a plus. Hubbel 5262 Spec grade duplex or cryoed vesion. Then powercords. The powersupplies in your gear may negate the use of conditioners. Would love to try the Uberbuss out at one of our meetings. Anyone in NYC own one ?

charles
  You will NEVER know until you try.  Yes [ 3] CBFs for $75. 

batmanslc2

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm »
Check out ps audio duet, lots of great reviews, well built, I have two.  Problem is they go FAST on audiogon, but if you are patient you can get one for around $100 - 125.  quintet has more outlets, 8 i think.  I also use porter ports.   

JDUBS

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:08 pm »
Check out ps audio duet, lots of great reviews, well built, I have two.  Problem is they go FAST on audiogon, but if you are patient you can get one for around $100 - 125.  quintet has more outlets, 8 i think.  I also use porter ports.

I definitely agree with this.  Keep an eye out for a Duet.  Will be around $100+/- and its a GREAT conditioner (very similar to the Felix).  The Hot Box is fine but will cost more than $100 if you find one with the filtering caps.

-Jim