Updated Pics on Page 2! Black Leatherette N3 Enclosures with Piano bases/tops.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Custom built these for a fellow AC member. :D

Matching sub to follow.

I like 'em! :thumb:

The 1/2" spacers between the enclosures and bases had yet to be painted when that picture was taken.

« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2011, 03:50 am by Outofthewoods »

jparkhur

Those are hot!  Ruben..beautiful

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
Very, Very nice. Cant wait to see the sub! R.K.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
Thanks fellas! :D

The sub will look similar to these, but won't have a piano face.

Ruben

jackman

I love the look.  How durable is leatherette for speakers?  Is that something a person could retro-fit on an existing speaker? 

thanks,
J

HT cOz

Completely SICK!!!  :green: I love those bases mine look like crap...  Until you try to build this stuff you just can't appreciate this kind of craftsmanship.

Awesome work Ruben!  :thumb:

bprochford

These are really beautiful, Ruben.  Amazing work, as per usual. For the 1/2" reveal between the speaker and the base, did you just add an extra layer of 1/2" mdf? Or is the bottom-most panel of the speaker 5/4?

HT cOz

I simply can't imagine what a pair of N3s with two servo subs would be like.  My N3s are so good without any subs that I listen to music full range and skip the sub.  For movies I crossed the sub over super low and it adds just a little at the very bottom.  These speakers are so great for HT! 

One question I have is if it would be possible to fold the TL and create a center channel speaker that would fit under a screen but still be a full blown N3?  That would be super cool!

wgallupe

Well, I'm the lucky owner of those N3TL enclosures  :D

Can't wait to get them so I can install the drivers and electronics. I started with the N3S (sealed) using Parts Express enclosures sitting on 21" stands. This was sort of an intermediate stop to make sure I was going to like the N3 sound. As it turned out, the N3S together with two Mirage BPS-150i bi-polar subs sounded very nice. Will see how the subs blend with the N3TLs. If I feel like the N3TLs need some support for low bass, I will have Ruben build a matching enclosure for the Servo Sub kit. Then I'll sell the Mirage subs.

If anyone is looking for a pair of gloss black N3S enclosures from Parts Express feel free to contact me. They will include pre-cut front baffles, No-Rez lining, Vampire binding posts and the grills. A great opportunity for someone with no wood working skills (like me).

jeffh

Ruben,

Very nice. 
Any pictures of the back?  I'm curious how you finished the vinyl.
What kind of glue did you use to attach the vinyl?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
Hi J,

I love the look.  How durable is leatherette for speakers?

Thanks!

It's rated at 100,000 double rubs. :thumb:

Is that something a person could retro-fit on an existing speaker

thanks,
J

Sure. You'd just need to be sure that your adhesive could be applied to the substrate with no ill effects.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
Completely SICK!!!  :green: I love those bases mine look like crap...  Until you try to build this stuff you just can't appreciate this kind of craftsmanship.

Awesome work Ruben!  :thumb:

Thanks Robert!

What?! Your bases don't look like crap. You did an awesome job on your Neo's. :thumb:

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
These are really beautiful, Ruben.  Amazing work, as per usual. For the 1/2" reveal between the speaker and the base, did you just add an extra layer of 1/2" mdf? Or is the bottom-most panel of the speaker 5/4?

Thanks!

I added a separate piece of 1/2" MDF to the top of the bases.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
I simply can't imagine what a pair of N3s with two servo subs would be like.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it sounds friggin incredible! :thumb:

My N3s are so good without any subs that I listen to music full range and skip the sub.

Although the N3's are excellent alone, the servo subs really complete them.

These speakers are so great for HT!

Yes they are!

One question I have is if it would be possible to fold the TL and create a center channel speaker that would fit under a screen but still be a full blown N3?  That would be super cool!

:scratch:

Danny, you reading this?

Ruben

wgallupe

My Parts Express enclosure mod to reduce internal reflective surface without compromising strength. Also, a couple pics of the finished speakers.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
Ruben,

Very nice. 
Any pictures of the back?  I'm curious how you finished the vinyl.

Thanks Jeff!

I'll take some more pics before I crate them up tomorrow.

What kind of glue did you use to attach the vinyl?

It's not really a vinyl as most people think of it. This is a premium hi-loft backed substitute soft leather upholstery.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I prefer to keep my methods to myself. I can tell you that it's baked on though.

Ruben

wgallupe

Hey Ruben,

Just thinking. Where can I find care and cleaning instructions for the leatherette?

Wayne

PS: Indeed, get those things crated and out the door! :wink:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
Hey Ruben,

Just thinking. Where can I find care and cleaning instructions for the leatherette?

Hi Wayne.

No special care required. Just use a mild detergent and water to remove fingerprints and such.

PS: Indeed, get those things crated and out the door! :wink:

Yes, Sir!

Ruben

HT cOz

I can tell you from first hand experience that it sounds friggin incredible! :thumb:

Although the N3's are excellent alone, the servo subs really complete them.

Ruben

I totally agree.  I was watching Inception last night and the L/C/R N3 were doing an incredable job up front, but there is a lot of low frequency material in that movie that could use a pair of servo subs.  Music is much the same way.  You need that low frequency foundation for everything to sound best.  Two pairs is the way to do it right :thumb:

Whatever you do, you need quality bass to go with those speakers for sure.  On the flip side of the coin, if you can't afford to do it all at once (like me  :lol:) you won't be left completely out in the cold either.

The owner is in for a treat!  Someone needs to jump on those PE cabs they look nice!

Robert

Danny Richie

Danny, you reading this?

Redesigning the TL is not an easy task. For a center channel I'd go simply sealed or ported.