I got a 'new' car with Bose speaker system and.....

Scott F.

Re: I got a 'new' car with Bose speaker system and.....
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:19 am »
Nathan is right. It's all about the noise floor.

I've been doing 12V since I started driving (35 years ago) and you can do a stunningly good system....at a cost. When it comes to the noise floor there is only one way to treat it, lot's and lots of sound damping. You have to completely disassemble the interior of the car and treat the floorpan, doors (skin and inner panel), firewall and back seat supports with deadening material. By rights you should do the roof too.

In my latest hooptie (Lincoln Continental) I installed a Pioneer AVH 5200BT head unit that feeds the Butler TBD475 tube driver that I use as the cab amp. The cab speakers are the Polk SR6500 component that use the ring radiator tweeter. The subs are a pair of 12" Adire Shivas (sealed) which is driven by a Pioneer 800watt something or other amp (I cheaped out on the sub amp). I use the crossover in the head unit which works and sounds FAR better than I was told it would.

The great thing about this head unit is it takes a USB thumb drive, SD card, iPod, 1/8" external (Pandora on my phone), CD, DVD and DVDA (24bit). This is by far the best sounding 12V system I've had to date and I've had quite a few custom installs over the years.

I say if you spend enough time in your car and can swing it, go for a new rig in your car. For me, it's worth it. I spend at least two hours a day in my car, sometimes five.

pjchappy

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:40 am »
Scott,

That's basically the same head unit I got, except mine is the non-flip up one (double sized).

Also, you got the wrong Tube Driver.  THIS is the one you should have bought (for me): Tube Driver.
 8)
(I've got enough pedals, though. . .)

Paul

Scott F.

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:01 am »
Also, you got the wrong Tube Driver.  THIS is the one you should have bought (for me): Tube Driver.
 8)

:lol:

Hey, if you ever make it over on this side of the state again, you'll have to check out the ride. It's pretty cool  8)

pjchappy

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:09 am »
Trust me. . .I want to move back ASAP.  Need to find a job there, first.

Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:17 am »
John...John...John..... You bought a used SAAB without contacting me with the VIN first.

:wink: Enjoy the new ride brother. I suppose I can throw away the SID I've been saving for you. I'll start a new collection of used SAAB parts for your new car. :lol:

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:39 am »
John...John...John..... You bought a used SAAB without contacting me with the VIN first.

:wink: Enjoy the new ride brother. I suppose I can throw away the SID I've been saving for you. I'll start a new collection of used SAAB parts for your new car. :lol:

Bob

Yo Bob...I thought about it....but the dealer pulled the CarFax for me before I bought it.

Yes, SID no more needed....a little different system on this one (hopefully less problematic)

I really love the way this one handles and rides.  As much as I tried, I never could outright love 'Helga' (my old 9-3) tho I tried mightily for 11 years.  This one is fine from the start.

I should list the add-ons I made to the old 9-3 trying to make it more lovable (I certainly didn't hate it, but I never fell in love with it due mostly to handling issues)

Mostly bought from GenuineSAAB:

* Rear anti-sway bar
* Poly bushing all around up front
* Special Sport suspension from 2002 9-3SE (an option that year)
* 6 point undercarriage cross brace
* Poly sport mount for 5 speed box
* Rear hatch brace
* Steering rack brace
* Bridgestone RE960AS tires (an upgrade upwards on the stock touring Michelins) 2000 miles ago

For driveability/speed I added:

* K & N air filter (I tried the open box, too, but it was whiney and I though the std K&N filter gave the engine more breathing, not less, than the $200 open box)
* Stratmosphere diverter valve replacing Bosch unit

As you see...I dang well tried to love it, but couldn't quite get it to drive the way I wanted.

John

PMAT

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:00 am »
SAAB is so far to the left John. Taurus to the right. CD to the right...... and vinyl to the far left. It all makes sense now. I bet you have a ss pre and a tube amp. Ha! I bet you put the interconnects with the arrows backwards at times as well. Do you watch the sunrise over the pacific occasionally? Thanks for the nonconformity. Such a breath of fresh air. Consumer reports can kiss my fire engine red Suburban.

Levi

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:55 am »
+1 but I hardly drive my car because I live in NYC.  :)

It is over $6K on a car stereo when it was all said and done.   :duh:

My McIntosh system and Focal Audio K2 speakers doesn't even have an iPod connection or FF/RW music search.  It is as plane as Jane.

Sounds truly good when it is warmed up.  :thumb:

Nathan is right. It's all about the noise floor.

I've been doing 12V since I started driving (35 years ago) and you can do a stunningly good system....at a cost. When it comes to the noise floor there is only one way to treat it, lot's and lots of sound damping. You have to completely disassemble the interior of the car and treat the floorpan, doors (skin and inner panel), firewall and back seat supports with deadening material. By rights you should do the roof too.

In my latest hooptie (Lincoln Continental) I installed a Pioneer AVH 5200BT head unit that feeds the Butler TBD475 tube driver that I use as the cab amp. The cab speakers are the Polk SR6500 component that use the ring radiator tweeter. The subs are a pair of 12" Adire Shivas (sealed) which is driven by a Pioneer 800watt something or other amp (I cheaped out on the sub amp). I use the crossover in the head unit which works and sounds FAR better than I was told it would.

The great thing about this head unit is it takes a USB thumb drive, SD card, iPod, 1/8" external (Pandora on my phone), CD, DVD and DVDA (24bit). This is by far the best sounding 12V system I've had to date and I've had quite a few custom installs over the years.

I say if you spend enough time in your car and can swing it, go for a new rig in your car. For me, it's worth it. I spend at least two hours a day in my car, sometimes five.

Scott F.

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:11 am »
Levi,

I've seen pics of your system a few times and have always been in awe of it. I bet it sounds great especially with the Focals.

Big Blue Meters in a car...very cool  8)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #49 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:29 am »
Levi,

I've seen pics of your system a few times and have always been in awe of it. I bet it sounds great especially with the Focals.

Big Blue Meters in a car...very cool  8)

Ya aughta hear it sing Scott,,, very too cool!  8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:49 am »
SAAB is so far to the left John. Taurus to the right. CD to the right...... and vinyl to the far left. It all makes sense now. I bet you have a ss pre and a tube amp. Ha! I bet you put the interconnects with the arrows backwards at times as well. Do you watch the sunrise over the pacific occasionally? Thanks for the nonconformity. Such a breath of fresh air. Consumer reports can kiss my fire engine red Suburban.

PMAT.....my genius local friend...good to hear from you!

The nonconformist list gets only deeper from there with me :wink:

Forgot to mention... I drove a Chevy HHR, too.  That is one decent vehicle for $22k with everything in the 2LT package.  Engine a bit coarse, but lots of room, quiet beyond expectations for the price, great use of space, fine mileage and decent seats. 

I was pushing for it early on but the wife felt it was too 'trucky' (an odd comment given she liked the BMW X3).  Women - go figure  8)

So there's another 'left' field play for you as you profile me  :thumb:

Ciao, John

JakeJ

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm »

Women - go figure  8)

To quote Spongebob Squarepants, " Well...good luck with that."

srb

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:49 pm »
Forgot to mention... I drove a Chevy HHR, too.  That is one decent vehicle for $22k with everything in the 2LT package.

Interesting, because I thought it was the worst rental car ever.  Perhaps the stock tires on the base model are what made it constantly wander on the road needing constant correction, but I also questioned the ergonomics of reaching down to find buttons at the very bottom of the console to roll the windows up or down.

Steve

TomS

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:51 pm »

Interesting, because I thought it was the worst rental car ever.  Perhaps the stock tires on the base model are what made it constantly wander on the road needing constant correction, but I also questioned the ergonomics of reaching down to find buttons at the very bottom of the console to roll the windows up or down.

Steve
I REFUSE to take them as rental cars any more.  Yuck

srb

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:57 pm »
I REFUSE to take them as rental cars any more.  Yuck

Forgot to mention the sick groaning base engine.

Steve

TheChairGuy

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2011, 12:59 am »
Both engines snarl more than they should under load....but, the extra 20HP on the 2LT/2.4 liter versions is decidedly better with little downside in mileage.

The (heated) leather seats of the 2LT version are better than the cloth ones of the rental variety...and the rear camera assist is a nice touch for an inexpensive vehicle.

My views dovetail with the majority on Edmunds and elsewhere...it's a very decent car with abundant room, very quiet, comfy highway ride and overall comfort for little outlay.  The brakes groan a bit too much (drums in rear...price points need to be met...so does a new VW Jetta today, and others) and s-bend handling a bit wanting even with taller wider tires and sport suspension of the 2LT.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/hhr/2010/

Keep in mind...the rental cars offered to Hertz and others may be stripped of some features by GM to keep the cost keen.  Stripping out  pricey passenger side (front) airbag is not uncommon...I wouldn't doubt other corners are cut that aren't as apparently unless you have a trained eye (or ear) for it.

I'll take an HHR on a rental over the buckboard stiff, undulating ride of the Mazda3 as offered a few times as Economy rental choices. I'd take over a Nissan Versa, Dodge Caliber too...more mainstays in that category I've found.

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 29 Jan 2011, 01:47 am »
I want an HHR SS.  8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:27 am »
Bob, I haven't drive the (turbo) SS version...which has lower profile tires and adds disc brakes in the back, too....I think, but not certain, it was disco'ed for 2011  :scratch:

I read here and there about some issues with that engine, tho....but, it's the enthusiasts choice, for sure.

Then again, the SAAB 9-3 SportCombi I got has a sweet burbling, 2.8liter V6 from GM's Aussie Holden division.....turbocharged for 250HP+ on premium 91 octane...with all the room or more and style the HHR SS offers. 

2008 with $22k with 15,600 miles and lotsa' warranty left squared the deal for me  :)

4th day in and I LOVE this vehicle.  So many great features.  I think I'm going to subscribe to OnStar, too...I like the peace of mind it offers for $16.50 a month :thumb:

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan 2011, 01:51 pm »
Glad to hear you're lovin' it John.

I looked on the Chevy site, it appears you're correct about no turbo for 2011 in the SS HHR.  :?
Not sure what problems they had, but I think it's the same engine used in the Saab, Pontiac, Saturn etc...etc... The only difference between the turbo Saab and turbo Chevy is the Saab got a higher output turbo and hotrodded ECM tuning.
I think, but it's quite possible I just pulled all that out of my butt.

Bob

JakeJ

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:24 pm »
Whew!  I wondered where that came from.