I got a 'new' car with Bose speaker system and.....

twitch54

Re: I got a 'new' car with Bose speaker system and.....
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:50 pm »
John, good luck with the new ride......with regards to the audio system as a few others have said....if it really bothers you and you spend alot of time in your vehicle it would then behove you to replace the system with something else.

Look at it on the bright side.....it will make you appreciate your home rig all the more !

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:40 pm »
Dude, that must have been an after factory system right?  I chose to upgrade trims on my Outback 2011 in order to get leather and an HK system, which is not bad at all.

Yep... the factory McIntosh rig that was supposedly "Tuned for Subaru" (according to the label). It was on the Outback VDC model from 2001-2003.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:46 pm »
Does it really suck that much? It's just a car stereo.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:49 pm »
you mean Clarion?   :wink:

http://www.clarion.com/jp/en/company/profile/enterprise/mcintosh/index.html

Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that Clarion bought McIntosh back in 1990... seemed like a strange fit. Not sure what that meant for their car audio offerings, though supposedly they kept the McIntosh ops operating independently. Clarion sold McIntosh in 2003 to the same holding company that owns Marantz, Denon, Snell, Boston Acoustics and others. But evidently they still handle "retailing of McIntosh Car Audio"... whatever that means  :scratch:

schw06

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm »
I was fortunate enough last year to purchase a preowned Porsche Cayman S. When I test drove it I left the radio off to get "connected to the car/road interface". What a great driving machine it is. Unfortunately, the bose system in the car was quite literally the worst car radio I have ever heard in my life. It bothered me so much I sold the car!! I thought about changing out the stereo but it would have cost almost $2500 and would have bastardized the layout and dropped the value of the car and I wasn't willing to do that.
David

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:51 pm »
John, good luck with the new ride......with regards to the audio system as a few others have said....if it really bothers you and you spend alot of time in your vehicle it would then behove you to replace the system with something else.

Look at it on the bright side.....it will make you appreciate your home rig all the more !

Twitch: Only about 8000 miles a year for me (I work from home).....so I'll probably leave the so-so stock system.  I'm MUCH rather put additional money into the home system as needed :)

JakeJ: Sweet Bimmer!  Very nice.

TomS: I have found that for the 3x a year one might need a pick-up....having a 5 door at hand (hatchback, wagon, minivan or SUV/CAV) is priceless.  Hatchbacks and wagons offer the most for the least among 5 door choices (lower weight, better aerodynamics, often lower cost and better mileage and handling) and I tend towards thrifty  8)

John

Levi

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:57 pm »
My 03' Mercedes truck comes with premium Bose Navigation system.  It is decent sounding.  Its' 24valve V8 sounds and feels much better.

I love the sound system in our Mercedes S550 because the interior is so quiet and the seats has massage.  XM Satellite radio is truly Excellent for long distance cruising.  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:11 pm »

Good choice with the wagon John, similar tastes.  Mine comes with what they call a "Monsoon" audio system, Don't know what that is, but it sounds great.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:14 pm »
Nice set of wheels John  :thumb:  Hey, with a ride like that you're better off listening to the twin turbos spool up than tunes anyway. Enjoy the feel of the road.  8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:28 pm »
Good choice with the wagon John, similar tastes.  Mine comes with what they call a "Monsoon" audio system, Don't know what that is, but it sounds great.

Indeed, similar :thumb:

I drove the VW Jetta Sportwagen (an obvious competitor to the SAAB), but it was the 5 cylinder one and a bit underwhelming for $26K new.  Had I tested the turbodiesel wagon (at closer to 29K), the results may have been better.

I drove the new 2011 GTI, too.....what a sweet performer that is for ~ $27K, but just too small (short) for longer hauls with the family and yearly Christmas Tree pickup  :)

The Audi A-3 (wagon) TDI was nice...but small and I didn't value it at $35K it was asking.

I drove the BMW 328i wagon, too....tho I TOTALLY get the fascination with the brand, it just doesn't resonate with me.  The seats are not comfy, for one matter.

I bought the SAAB for only $22K with 15,500 miles and lotsa' warranty left.  I was fully prepared to write a check for $24, 600 (with tax and tags, etc)....but I got a dang 2.99% promo interest rate for 48 months. 

It was only $1550 in interest over 48 months - or $32 a month to save my capital and pay it down over 4 years.  Helluva' deal - thank you Federal Reserve for contriving US interest rates ever lower.

The next best vehicle I drove and caught my fancy was a Lexus RX hybrid.  Supremely comfy, eerily quiet and handled better than you think 4900lbs could or would.  It's so big tho, parking is a pain especially in crowded San Francisco near where we live. Good sound system in there, too  :wink:

btw, I just read they disco'ed the Passat Wagon....

werd

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:48 pm »
You wanna hear crap. Trying listening to the stereo Toyota saddled me with. Didn't buy my Sienna for sound. Its good enough for the car, kids are crapping all over it anyways.... 

RandyH

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:23 pm »
I have a Bose system on my 2010 Infiniti and I am very happy with the sound.  I've had "premium" sound systems on numerous other models but I think the Bose is the best so far.  I'm sure there are better systems available but I enjoy listening to music on mine.  I also like the 9gb hard drive for copying CDs.

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm »
<snip>

I drove the BMW 328i wagon, too....tho I TOTALLY get the fascination with the brand, it just doesn't resonate with me.  The seats are not comfy, for one matter.

<snip>

The reason I went for the 7 series is because I asked my mechanic what their opinion was and they said, "Do not waste your money on a 3 series.  The higher you go up in series the better built the car."  <ducks in anticipation of flames>  They also felt the only 5 series to look at are "M" and 540i sport package cars.  As usual YMMV.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2011, 08:07 pm »
You wanna hear crap. Trying listening to the stereo Toyota saddled me with. Didn't buy my Sienna for sound. Its good enough for the car, kids are crapping all over it anyways....

My sound system in my wife's "New Beetle" sucks.  Boomy, recessed, compressed, and the car is worse.  But she loves it.

Because it's cute.    :duh: :scratch: :duh: :duh: :scratch:

Regalma

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:38 pm »
I once didn't buy a Nissan Pathfinder largely because no matter what I did I could not make the Bose system listenable. Which was too bad because in many ways it had superb sound. It just had that blased Bose "you're going to regret buying this tomorrow bass boom". Though the one in the Mazda I test drove several years later was clearly less objectionable. 

I seem to remember that there are some fairly pricy equalizers made specifically to adjust for factory systems that sound like, well, Bose.

pjchappy

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:42 pm »
The Bose speakers in my 2003 Acura TL Type-S suck.  I recently replaced the head unit because the Bose CD changer broke about 2-years ago.  I can't believe I went that long without a CD player.  Now, my new player has a USB input for an iPod, touch screen, etc.  The speakers still suck, however.  I put the stereo in myself, which saved me quite a lot of money.  I may put new speakers in soon, but I think I can tolerate them for a bit more.

My transmission just started having trouble shifting into first gear when it was VERY cold out.  If this turns out to be a continuing/major issue, I probably will soon be in the market for a new car, damnit. :banghead:  Car payments suck worse than the Bose speakers. :lol:

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:56 pm »
I have a Bose system on my 2010 Infiniti and I am very happy with the sound.  I've had "premium" sound systems on numerous other models but I think the Bose is the best so far.  I'm sure there are better systems available but I enjoy listening to music on mine.  I also like the 9gb hard drive for copying CDs.

At least on my SportCombi ('wagon' to the rest of us not Swedish :lol:) maybe it's harder to design a quality sounding sound system in a vehicle without a solid back shelf?  The Bose speakers are mounted in the front dash on mine....and on the rear doors (less room than placing them on rear shelf maybe)

Or, am I trying to give Bose squiggle room when the real problem is they suck :icon_lol:

JakeJ - I've never tested anything but the 3-series....the 7 series too large for my tastes, but one day hope to try a 5-series as it's more the right size for me.  My wife has a 2004 325ci (convertible) and she says her thoughts wander to the more fun she had with her old VW Cabrio.   But, it's a vault and I kinda' appreciate she and my daughter are fairly safe in the BMW.

I tested lots more cars before getting the SAAB, too:

Mini Clubman - Fun, fun, fun...but a wee too small to downsize our life into....hard, uncomfy seats front and rear and lousy, crashy ride, tho (maybe ALL due to run flat tires).  When I saw the (still small) Countryman S top $34K for well equipped 161" car....I knew that wasn't going to work for me, either.

BMW X3 (2005) - I found this a lot more comfy that similarly configured 2008 325i wagon.  Handled just fine, too.  Definitely made me think.

Mercedes-Benz E320 (2005) - I never drove a Benz...much to like, but again, hard seats not fit for long travel.  Nice wagon, tho.  I don't think I want to drive a Benz....maybe the badge is too conspicuously snooty in the US.  In Europe, they're everywhere and maybe less snooty brand appeal.

SAAB 9-3 SportCombi (non-AERO, but with larger 17" wheels) - The  6 cylinder with the auto 6 speed just overruns the 4 cylinder / auto 5 speed.  It made me think as it was 20% cheaper....but the one I got was worth the premium for the AERO parts.

Anyhow...all my opinion only.  Please, no flames - if you like what you drive than it's good  :wink:

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm »
The Bose speakers in my 2003 Acura TL Type-S suck.  I recently replaced the head unit because the Bose CD changer broke about 2-years ago.  I can't believe I went that long without a CD player.  Now, my new player has a USB input for an iPod, touch screen, etc.  The speakers still suck, however.  I put the stereo in myself, which saved me quite a lot of money.  I may put new speakers in soon, but I think I can tolerate them for a bit more.

My transmission just started having trouble shifting into first gear when it was VERY cold out.  If this turns out to be a continuing/major issue, I probably will soon be in the market for a new car, damnit. :banghead:  Car payments suck worse than the Bose speakers. :lol:

Paul

Paul,

Can't help you with the Bose speakers...they simply suck  :(

However there IS a ray of hope for your tranny (I assume you mean automatic?)

Try this stuff / Lubegard: http://www.autobarn.net/auttranprotb.html

It's the closest thing to chicken soup for your tranny that exists...it's pretty much the standard in the tranny rebuild industry.  It's AUTOMATICALLY recommended by tranny rebuilders to use.  It makes a lot of auto tranny issues evaporate, apparently.

AutoBarn has $50 free shipping now going on....so another $40 in doo-dads gets it to you in without shipping.  Hope the $10 fix saves your $$$$ in car payments.  Sad that your Acura has a crappy tranny at only 7 years - that's just not right  :cuss:

bregez

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm »

My transmission just started having trouble shifting into first gear when it was VERY cold out.  If this turns out to be a continuing/major issue

I am assuming you have a AT, if so the soft rubber seals and o-rings in the transmission are getting brittle, the cold makes the seals more rigid so there is little flex.  This causes internal valves to leak making for sloppy shifts and possible slipping.  The good news is you can get the transmission rebuilt and it will run like new.  I thought Hondas lasted forever. :)   

nathanm

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2011, 12:02 am »
I think it's all about noise floor.  I always liked every car stereo I had when it was standing still.  Once you get moving you're in trouble.  It's actually not that different from home audio come to think of it.  The dirtier your canvas is the less vibrant your painting looks.  hmph.