Diffusers Arrived

sl_1800

Diffusers Arrived
« on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:32 am »
My diffusers arrived today.  :D  I bought 4 of the 2 x 4 panels.   I still have some work to do to hang them and get the look and of course sound that I want, I will post pics here as I make progress.  First impressions:  I have always loved the look of a room with diffusers, call me a geek, but the cost is usually prohibitive, at least for me.  Now, with Dave's diffusers, there is an affordable solution.  Have you looked at the price of diffusors?  Most would run me close to 1.5 grand to cover my front wall, these were only $200.00 delivered!!!!  How could I go wrong with that price?

This afternoon I propped the diffusors up on some boxes to get the height I wanted and leaned them back onto the wall.  Did a few listening comparisons to them vs what I had, ASC half rounds, and I really like these.  The soundstage took on depth I have never had in my room and the clarity is greater, all the little details that were previously mask are now so clear.  More listening impressions with time.

I can't wait for the lumber yard to open tomorrow morning so I can get the wood I need for a frame.  Check back tomorrow evening for pics.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Diffusers Arrived
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 05:01 am »
My diffusers arrived today.  :D  I bought 4 of the 2 x 4 panels.   I still have some work to do to hang them and get the look and of course sound that I want, I will post pics here as I make progress.  First impressions:  I have always loved the look of a room with diffusers, call me a geek, but the cost is usually prohibitive, at least for me.  Now, with Dave's diffusers, there is an affordable solution.  Have you looked at the price of diffusors?  Most would run me close to 1.5 grand to cover my front wall, these were only $200.00 delivered!!!!  How could I go wrong with that price?

This afternoon I propped the diffusors up on some boxes to get the height I wanted and leaned them back onto the wall.  Did a few listening comparisons to them vs what I had, ASC half rounds, and I really like these.  The soundstage took on depth I have never had in my room and the clarity is greater, all the little details that were previously mask are now so clear.  More listening impressions with time.

I can't wait for the lumber yard to open tomorrow morning so I can get the wood I need for a frame.  Check back tomorrow evening for pics.
After seeing your work on the rest of the room treatment, I will be really interested to see what you come up with for a nice package   :eyebrows:

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:42 pm »
Dave,  The frame work I have planned for these won't be as fancy as say the work I did on the absorbers on the rear wall of my room.  I was trying to copy the look, angled edges, of the side panels.  I had more of a simple frame in mind, 8 feet long 1 x 6 fastened to the wall on edge as a shelf for the diffusers to sit on and another on top as a top cap and then end caps to complete the frame.  My other panels had wood placed between the individual  absorbers, I don't have the room for anything like that with the diffusers since they fill the entire space I have and I wouldn't want to disturb there work with that flat panel between each one.

I am headed to the lumber yard now.  I will post pics this afternoon.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
Dave,  The frame work I have planned for these won't be as fancy as say the work I did on the absorbers on the rear wall of my room.  I was trying to copy the look, angled edges, of the side panels.  I had more of a simple frame in mind, 8 feet long 1 x 6 fastened to the wall on edge as a shelf for the diffusers to sit on and another on top as a top cap and then end caps to complete the frame.  My other panels had wood placed between the individual  absorbers, I don't have the room for anything like that with the diffusers since they fill the entire space I have and I wouldn't want to disturb there work with that flat panel between each one.

I am headed to the lumber yard now.  I will post pics this afternoon.
8)

Be sure to try them flat against the wall and then moved out about an inch so they have a little room to move and can do a bit of mid and upper bass energy absorption.

Looking forward to the pics.

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2011, 09:06 pm »
Here are a few pics, as I said nothing really fancy just a basic frame.

« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2011, 02:32 pm by sl_1800 »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:02 am »
Here are a few pics, as I said nothing really fancy just a basic frame.

They look great in that frame.  Are you going to paint them?  Flat paint will retain some of the HF absorption characteristics of the foam.  Gloss will make them pretty reflective for a brighter top octave.  Eggshell seems to be the best compromise.  It sounds open, but not bright.  Two coats sprayed with an airless or rolled with a small foam roller works very well.

Please keep us posted as to how they are working for you.  You have a great looking room.  I'm glad you took those absorbent half rounds out.  I bet it sounds bigger, wider and deeper - BWD is what it is all about - as long as instruments and voices keep their scale.

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:35 pm »
Dave I am going to paint them just not sure what color yet.  I'm actually going to repaint the entire room, getting really tired of the blue.  I have a airless sprayer and it looks like tomorrow is going to be a great day for painting in the garage, forecasting a high of 73, so I better figure out what color. 

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:18 pm »
How are you liking the diffusers in between the speakers as shown? any more thoughts?  Much different from you previous sound with the half cylinders?

I have my colors worked out but am still deciding how many to order...

Hope you are liking the improvements

Jason

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »
Man those look really nice!! Great job! :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm »
KCI-JohnP  Thanks.

jriggy  I really like these diffusers.  The half rounds did almost nothing compared to these.  The soundstage took on a new depth that my system has never had.

TrungT

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:35 am »
On the way  :thumb:
Thank you Dave and Greg (Pi Audio Group)

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2011, 01:55 am by TrungT »