Still running nOrh in the HT

Johng316

Still running nOrh in the HT
« on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm »
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been around here, but I still drift in once in a while.

I'm still running nOrh in my HT, though I just moved and need to set everything up again.  Still, after many years, the nOrh speakers are still running strong and sounding beautiful, even though they are scraped up a bit here and there.

Current setup:  I'm running a 6.4 setup with green SM 6.9's as mains (bought these when they were a new thing at nOrh), a marble 4.0 center, two wood 4.0 drums in the rear, and a prism 4 in rear center duty (mounts nicely to the wall).

For subwoofers, I'm running 4 x MFW-15 subwoofers from AV123 (now defunct). 

This assortment of speakers still sounds fantastic after years of loud movies in the HT.  Visitors are still curious about the nOrh design.  It's a pity nOrh isn't still at the forefront of the audio buzz.  I would still consider buying new or used nOrh speakers today based on my own experiences.

John

MaxCast

Re: Still running nOrh in the HT
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:46 am »
Pretty cool, John.  I pulled my sm's out a few months back and had some fun with a couple of Ravas thrown in for fun

Some times I think of selling them.  If I did I'm sure I'd wish I hadn't.
Always liked the look of the 4.0s.  Shoot a pic of the new set up.

LadyDog

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:32 am »
I'm still running (5) 4.0's in my home theater setup.  Crisp, clean, and powerful sound.  Can crank the volume too. 

Haven't kept up with what is the latest, greatest thing, but back in the day it was hard to put together a better ht system for around $1,300.  5 ceramic 4.0's and a $500 sub.

Johng316

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:59 pm »
Maxcast:  Nice setup!  It reminds me a bit of mine, but with 4 15" subs staring you down like a firing squad.   8)

Once I get the new HT set up I will shoot some photos and post here.  It almost feels like owning nOrh gear is a nostalgia thing anymore.

Ladydog:  I agree.  At that time, hard to beat a nOrh 5.1 setup for the money.  Not sure about what's available now, and I don't care too much.  The only issue I have with the nOrh drums is the shape can limit placement a bit.  There have been times when I longed for some tall floorstanding boxes.

I bought a CD not too long ago of pipe organ music called Pomp & Pipes, and played loud on the HT with all subwoofers firing, it is an awesome sound experience.  The nOrh speakers are still sounding good, even if they are scraped from several moves and kid-related accidents.  One of the tweeter pillars on a 4.0 broke off after a fall, but I glued it back on.  Ugly, but still sounds perfect.  Hanging up in the corner, not many notice the damage.   :oops:

Anyone else have pics of nOrh systems still being enjoyed today?

SteveSatch

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:23 am »
I own 10 ceramic 4.0s but only have 4 of them hooked up as rear and side duty in my main HT.  I still want a pair of ceramic 6.9 and I regret passing up the chance to buy a pair once as money was tight.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:12 am »
I'm serious when I say this, the fact that you guys are still running nOrh, that's baller! I still wish I had my 9.0s for a 2nd system. They may not be the absolute tippy top as far as sound quality, but they are beautiful and unique. Rock on!

SteveSatch

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:24 am »
Anyone with a pair of 6.9 want to trade for something I have?

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:20 pm »
hi Steve.  I have a pair of 6.9sm black that I am interested in selling.  Not looking for any trades other than a pair of cheep book shelves for surrounds.
If you are interested let me know there are a few pics in my gallery.

Rich
49127 zip

SteveSatch

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:18 am »
I sent you a pm Rich

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:03 pm »
Wow great to hear from you Johng316!

I still have all my nOrh gear...my system is kind of dissasembled at this point due to lots of craziness in the jqp household. I have been suffering from a bit of job "churning" where I have had to spend lots of extra time securing my next contract for the last 9 months. Hopefully this next one will be a longer term contract.

My HT setup has been 2 Marble 9.0s as the mains, 1 marble 9.0 as the Center, and Prism 3.0s as the L+R rears. Great sound, but I am going to add to big ol' subs to the mix soon. I will probably redo my bedroom setup later to make it HT using my other nOrh speakers also!

SteveSatch

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2011, 01:34 am »
PM sent maxcast

SteveSatch

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:00 am »
This thread inspired me to change my home theater around.  I had Swan 6.1 for mains and Swan C3 for center with four nOrh 4.0 for surround/back.  I put three nOrh 4.0 for the fronts and center so now I have 7 nOrh 4.0 with dual MFW15 subs.

Johng316

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:45 am »
JQP:  Great to see you again!  It has been a long time.

Steve:  WOW!  How does it sound?  The 4.0's are still, by any standards, amazing speakers.  A pair of MFW-15's should sound pretty nice as well.

SteveSatch

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:35 am »
Sounds great, but I do need more movie watching.  I haven't run nOrh 4.0 as mains/center in years.  I'll post some pics soon.
Steve
JQP:  Great to see you again!  It has been a long time.

Steve:  WOW!  How does it sound?  The 4.0's are still, by any standards, amazing speakers.  A pair of MFW-15's should sound pretty nice as well.

Johng316

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:21 pm »
So Steve, how's it sounding??

I still haven't set up my HT after moving into the new house.  I have a nice tall basement ceiling, and right now I'm trying to decide whether I'll take out the drop ceiling tiles and sheetrock the ceiling with some nice canned lights.  I'd have to run speaker wire and HDMI cable for the projector, then maybe sheetrock up to the new ceiling.  Doing this would add an extra 6" or so and probably make for a cleaner look.  My space is about 12' x 30-something feet, so I'm definitely looking at 3 rows of seats (back two on risers, one 8" and one 16", so the extra ceiling headroom will be nice). 

Just need to go down there and make some decisions!