Audio Physic Speakers - How would you describe the sound?

LeeH

Hi guys

My first post on here but been lurking around for a while, i have my eye on some AS Yara II Classic speakers but will not be able to get to hear them unfortunately, all the dealers over here in the UK I have spoken to say they are a fantastic speaker (as you would expect) but if anyone would be able to sort of describe the sound that AS speakers proect that would be great.

Many thanks

Lee

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Audio Physic Speakers - How would you describe the sound?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:57 am »

When I was looking for new speakers last year I heard the Scorpio and the Sitara ( both driven by Moon amplification ) but didn't have the chance to hear the Yara. If the ones I heard are any indication of a "house sound " at Audio Physic, they are a really smooth-sounding speaker ( a little much so for my tastes ) but some of the other brands I listened to offered better bass extension and a little more excitement to my ears. They aren't a particularily hard speaker to drive which is a plus. Quality product, just not the product for me, FWIW. In the UK, there's a lot of really good speakers available at the Yara's price-point and you should have a lot of fun choosing the ones that suit you best. I'm responding from the colonies ( Canada ) but I've always had a soft spot for British speakers even though there are some quite good speaker companies right here ie: Totem, PSB, Paradigm etc. Good hunting, Lee !

D.

LeeH

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:44 pm »
When I was looking for new speakers last year I heard the Scorpio and the Sitara ( both driven by Moon amplification ) but didn't have the chance to hear the Yara. If the ones I heard are any indication of a "house sound " at Audio Physic, they are a really smooth-sounding speaker ( a little much so for my tastes ) but some of the other brands I listened to offered better bass extension and a little more excitement to my ears. They aren't a particularily hard speaker to drive which is a plus. Quality product, just not the product for me, FWIW. In the UK, there's a lot of really good speakers available at the Yara's price-point and you should have a lot of fun choosing the ones that suit you best. I'm responding from the colonies ( Canada ) but I've always had a soft spot for British speakers even though there are some quite good speaker companies right here ie: Totem, PSB, Paradigm etc. Good hunting, Lee !

D.

Hi D

There are some really nice speakers that are made in the UK, I myself have never owned any mainly because I had an all Naim system before and they were quite fussy with speakers, I currently use Jamo Concert 8's.

I have quite a valid reason for changing speakers, a couple of weeks back I brought a EE Minimax dac and it did not work out for me, upon return I am now £800 in credit with the shop. I have looked at their current inventory and the only item that grabs me is the AS Yara II speakers, which was why I am looking for any feedback for them.

I wont be able to hear the speakers as the shop is quite a few hundred miles from where I live and would cost me £150 to get there.

Again many thanks

Lee

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:08 pm »
Lee,

Audio Physic seems to get some press on being tricky to dial in, but otherwise are very well reviewed across their line.

Cannot see you going wrong with your choice, generally speaking. But as you found out with your DAC, what works for you, and mates well with your system and room can only be figured out once you spend some time with the component.

Unless you have a strong second choice that the retailer, you have credit with, carries I would take the leap and find out for yourself. Even if you get "comforting" comments from others, it really does boil down to your preferences, room, and synergy with your system.

Best of luck, and let us know your decision and impressions.

- David

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
I like all the models I have heard. I have had occasion to hear a smaller floor stander and their top of the line models. I found them detailed and dynamic. Those designed By Joachim Garrard are particularly nice IMO

saisunil

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2011, 05:10 pm »
I believe the placement issue with AP speakers may have to do with their side firing woofers ... Since Yara does not have side firing woofer - it should be easier to place ...

Cheers

LeeH

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2011, 08:46 pm »
The more I think about the speakers the more it makes sense to buy them, I brought the last pair I have without hearing them and they work ok

Our room is only 12 ft x 12 ft and marry them with the Luxman amp which the dealer also sells they should work a treat, the dealer has already offered me a below rrp on them

Also if I have them and they work I can sell my old ones and still buy a new dac, only this time the dealer will be allot closer and I will try before buy with it, or buy a second-hand one where diminishing returns are much better

Cheers all

Lee

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:22 pm »
Hi Lee, I heard some over christmas at a mates place and although I have to say box speakers are not my thing they were very nice indeed. I have also heard audio physics virgo 2's and they were very good to. Probably some of the better box speakers I have heard.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2011, 11:18 am »
I've owned AP Yara Evolution Bookshelves for about 3 years now.  They're a generation older than the current Yara II.  For what it's worth...

I've never heard a smooth Audio Physic speaker.  The ones I've heard have always been very honest, and sometimes too honest.  They reveal what's in front of them.  I've heard them with a number of systems, and they always seem to get out of the way and let the rest of the system sink or swim.

They soundstage and image better than just about anything out there.  I hear stuff that sounds like it's coming from beyond the walls.  Images are solid and very 3 dimentional.  These are the most noticable traits at first IMO.

They have a very good tone and texture, with very little coloration that I can hear.  Instruments sound real and natural.

APs can rock when asked to, and they can play calm relaxing music when asked to.  Like any good speaker should be able to do, they don't favor any one type of music over another.

In 3 completely different rooms, my Yaras have sounded equally good.  The only thing I've noticed that they're fussy about is distance from the back wall.  They'll sound like a bloated mess if they don't have enough clearence.  Placement is very easy, but fine tuning it and being a perfectionist like most of us are can take a while.  I'm talking about very fine tuning.  I haven't tried to place any other AP in my room(s), so no comment on other models.

They're pretty easy to drive.  My dealer has sold a good number of them to people with modestly powered tube amps.  Not single digit watted SET amps, but he states he's never had a problem with 25-30 watt tube amps for the Yaras.

Bass on APs may seem a bit light at first.  Not the case at all.  It's tight, tuneful, and quick.  After living with them for a few months, I began to realize how over blown and flabby a lot of speakers' bass sounds.

Their slogan is "No loss of fine detail"  A very accurate statement.

They can flat out carry a tune and groove as good as any speaker I've heard.

Fit and finish is as good as I've seen on any speaker.

What else can I tell you?  I know I've made them sound like the perfect speaker.  I'm just reporting what I hear.  They're the perfect speaker for me.  Doesn't mean they're perfect for everyone else though.

Not sure what the rest of your system is, so I can't say how it'll synergize.  Again, they're a very honest speaker, so they should pair up well with anything respectable.  You mentioned Naim.  I haven't heard the combination, but it should sound very good, as AP gets the PRaT right IMO.  Haven't heard Luxman, so no comment there.

My system is a Bryston B60, Apple TV as music server, and Rega DAC.  Sounds so good to my ears that I know I'm done buying components for a very long time.

LeeH

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:44 pm »
I've owned AP Yara Evolution Bookshelves for about 3 years now.  They're a generation older than the current Yara II.  For what it's worth...

I've never heard a smooth Audio Physic speaker.  The ones I've heard have always been very honest, and sometimes too honest.  They reveal what's in front of them.  I've heard them with a number of systems, and they always seem to get out of the way and let the rest of the system sink or swim.

They soundstage and image better than just about anything out there.  I hear stuff that sounds like it's coming from beyond the walls.  Images are solid and very 3 dimentional.  These are the most noticable traits at first IMO.

They have a very good tone and texture, with very little coloration that I can hear.  Instruments sound real and natural.

APs can rock when asked to, and they can play calm relaxing music when asked to.  Like any good speaker should be able to do, they don't favor any one type of music over another.

In 3 completely different rooms, my Yaras have sounded equally good.  The only thing I've noticed that they're fussy about is distance from the back wall.  They'll sound like a bloated mess if they don't have enough clearence.  Placement is very easy, but fine tuning it and being a perfectionist like most of us are can take a while.  I'm talking about very fine tuning.  I haven't tried to place any other AP in my room(s), so no comment on other models.

They're pretty easy to drive.  My dealer has sold a good number of them to people with modestly powered tube amps.  Not single digit watted SET amps, but he states he's never had a problem with 25-30 watt tube amps for the Yaras.

Bass on APs may seem a bit light at first.  Not the case at all.  It's tight, tuneful, and quick.  After living with them for a few months, I began to realize how over blown and flabby a lot of speakers' bass sounds.

Their slogan is "No loss of fine detail"  A very accurate statement.

They can flat out carry a tune and groove as good as any speaker I've heard.

Fit and finish is as good as I've seen on any speaker.

What else can I tell you?  I know I've made them sound like the perfect speaker.  I'm just reporting what I hear.  They're the perfect speaker for me.  Doesn't mean they're perfect for everyone else though.

Not sure what the rest of your system is, so I can't say how it'll synergize.  Again, they're a very honest speaker, so they should pair up well with anything respectable.  You mentioned Naim.  I haven't heard the combination, but it should sound very good, as AP gets the PRaT right IMO.  Haven't heard Luxman, so no comment there.

My system is a Bryston B60, Apple TV as music server, and Rega DAC.  Sounds so good to my ears that I know I'm done buying components for a very long time.

Hi Stu

Nice write up on the AS Speakers, Ive read a few of your threads on here before posting and they have been most encouragable. I have since decided to buy the Yara II Classics from the dealer, I had too good a deal on them in the end and managed to save a bit of money also. I am fairly confident that they will work and look forward to them coming in a week or so.

My system is pretty basic but does the trick

Luxman L505u amp
Mac mini
Dacmagic / hiface spdif converter

Cheers

Lee

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:56 pm »
Lee,

Congratulations on your decision!!!

- David.

btw, nice bit of kit in the Lux L505U

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm »
Lee,

Thanks for the compliment, and congrats on the speakers.  I hate to say anyone will love something they've not heard before, but APs are a very hard speaker to fault.  They'd be so much more popular if they marketed their products IMO.

I just saw your system now.  I haven't heard Luxman stuff, but if everything I'm hearing about them is true, I say be prepared to upgrade the DAC Magic in the near future.  The DAC Magic is very good for the money, but it will be the bottleneck that holds the system back.  I like the DAC Magic, so please don't take that as I'm bashing it.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, err... skipping iPod... I just bought the new Rega DAC for $1k.  Its a fantastic DAC in my system.  The best way to describe it is it sounds like a very good turntable.  A touch warm and smooth, but not artificially so.

There are a ton of great DACs out there.  I'd break in the speakers, dial in the positioning, get used to the sound, then start looking into DACs.  A few months should be sufficient  :lol:

Again, congrats on the Yaras.  Let us know how it goes.  And, they look far better in person than the pictures.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:09 am »
Congratulations on the the new speakers, Lee !  Hope you are going to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !
Let us know how it goes.
 :thumb:
D.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2011, 08:37 am by Diamond Dog »

LeeH

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:23 am »
Lee,

Thanks for the compliment, and congrats on the speakers.  I hate to say anyone will love something they've not heard before, but APs are a very hard speaker to fault.  They'd be so much more popular if they marketed their products IMO.

I just saw your system now.  I haven't heard Luxman stuff, but if everything I'm hearing about them is true, I say be prepared to upgrade the DAC Magic in the near future.  The DAC Magic is very good for the money, but it will be the bottleneck that holds the system back.  I like the DAC Magic, so please don't take that as I'm bashing it.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, err... skipping iPod... I just bought the new Rega DAC for $1k.  Its a fantastic DAC in my system.  The best way to describe it is it sounds like a very good turntable.  A touch warm and smooth, but not artificially so.

There are a ton of great DACs out there.  I'd break in the speakers, dial in the positioning, get used to the sound, then start looking into DACs.  A few months should be sufficient  :lol:

Again, congrats on the Yaras.  Let us know how it goes.  And, they look far better in person than the pictures.

Hi Stu

The DM is the weaker link in the system which is why I tried to upgrade to the minimax dac and it all went horribly wrong for me. Ive recently gone to balanced connections from the DM to the Lux and boy oh boy does that make a big difference, anyone who says it doesn't then they are wrong, its so much better.

The next dac I buy will be secondhand and will have balanced inputs such as the benchmark or Lavry or I might even try the matrix as these are getting decent reviews and are not much money. Since the Rega does not have balanced Ill probably give it a miss. The Audiolab brand are bringing out a standalone dac soon and will have a look at that one also, its part of the cdq range with the sabre chipset.

Anyways in around 10 days the Yara's will be here

Lee

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:28 pm »
I wouldn't dismiss the Rega DAC or any other piece of equipment Zooey because of a lack of balanced outputs.  Balanced can definitely sound better, so long as it's truly balanced and not just an XLR connector.   I don't think the DM is truly balanced, so the difference may have been solely due to the cable used.

The best way to go about it is hear what available and make a decision based on what sounds best, regardless of the technology/features.  Kind of like all tube amps aren't better than all solid state amps, all turntables aren't better than all digital players, etc.  There's no one right way to do anything.  If I've learned anything in this hobby, it's that the most important aspect of a piece is the end result, regardless of what's under the hood.

LeeH

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:24 pm »
I wouldn't dismiss the Rega DAC or any other piece of equipment Zooey because of a lack of balanced outputs.  Balanced can definitely sound better, so long as it's truly balanced and not just an XLR connector.   I don't think the DM is truly balanced, so the difference may have been solely due to the cable used.

The best way to go about it is hear what available and make a decision based on what sounds best, regardless of the technology/features.  Kind of like all tube amps aren't better than all solid state amps, all turntables aren't better than all digital players, etc.  There's no one right way to do anything.  If I've learned anything in this hobby, it's that the most important aspect of a piece is the end result, regardless of what's under the hood.

Hi Stu

I always assumed the DM was balanced out, the Lux is definitely balanced in since the selector does say balanced on the front of the amp. The cables I brought were a mere £20 delivered, the ones they replaced were £230 Atlas Navigators, when I say the difference is night and day it really is night and day.

I definately would not dismiss the Rega but at the moment its not high on the list

Here is a decent review from a guy in the UK who has been looking to change his DM

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93059

His only issue for me is that his Naim amps are not balanced inputs and he still gives the DM a good review all the same. I too myself have had the Naim Dac in the house at nearly £2k, I was very disappointed to say the least and in all honesty was only a fraction above the DM which costs £230.

I will keep looking around but in the meantime the DM stays, lets get the Classics here first, I am quite excited!

Lee

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2011, 05:49 pm »
I had Audio Physic speakers, Virgo, for a while and like them very much. Ultimately sold them because they were fussy to set up properly (they had to be placed way toward the middle of the room) and lack of deep bass response. However, you should like yours immensely.  But my reason for posting is to ask why it would cost 150 quid to travel a couple hundred miles to visit your dealer? Not sure of the current exchange rate, but that should be about $270. That will buy a lot of gasoline.

LeeH

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:25 am »
I had Audio Physic speakers, Virgo, for a while and like them very much. Ultimately sold them because they were fussy to set up properly (they had to be placed way toward the middle of the room) and lack of deep bass response. However, you should like yours immensely.  But my reason for posting is to ask why it would cost 150 quid to travel a couple hundred miles to visit your dealer? Not sure of the current exchange rate, but that should be about $270. That will buy a lot of gasoline.

Hi Randy

The price of gas is very expensive at the moment over here in the UK the approx conversion is $9.31 a gallon! plus the distance is more than a couple of hundred miles, the trip is around 700 miles in total and would require an overnight stay, all in all it would be quite an expensive trip, so Ive took the decision to go ahead and buy them. In all honesty there are no many speakers I dont like, the only ones Ive heard so far are Harbeths and the small spendors which sound a bit boxed in, the rest of the speakers Ive heard at shows in the past Ive liked, Im sure Ive heard some of the AS Speakers in the past but cant recall as I went to 3 shows last year in the UK.

Lee

Randy

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:36 am »
Lee - I stand corrected. I've been to the U. K. a few times and always did my traveling by train. Just out of curiosity, where do you live, and where is the dealer located?

LeeH

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2011, 08:36 am »
Lee - I stand corrected. I've been to the U. K. a few times and always did my traveling by train. Just out of curiosity, where do you live, and where is the dealer located?

I live in the West Midlands and the dealers is located North of Edingburgh, Scotland, the train fare would cost even more!

Lee