whuch one to use Pure Music or Amarra?

ttan98

whuch one to use Pure Music or Amarra?
« on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:38 am »
Hi,

Just bought a 2nd hand iMac, I will be running OS X 10.5 or 10.6 on it, I like to use it as a music server, can those out there who have some experience in the use of Apple music software packages can advise me which software to use,

Pure Music or Amarra?

Thanks

bunnyma357

Re: whuch one to use Pure Music or Amarra?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:51 am »
For Price, Value, Features, Support and a Reasonable Copy Protection system - I'd go with Pure Music.

Sonically, it seems like they are very close, and depending on the latest update one inches ahead of the other - based on the reports of people who have both.

I only use PM/PV, so I can't make a personal direct comparison.

Jim C

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:49 pm »
Pure Music offers a trial download. Give it a whirl and see if you like it. One FYI, more RAM is a plus.

johsti

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:40 pm »
Check into Decibel and Audirvana if using 10.6 and don't need itunes integration. Audirvana is open source and free and Decibel (formerly known a s AyreWave) is currently available for trial, but will be a paid application starting in March.  Both offer memory play and hog mode.  You should compare pure music (trial version), audirvana and decibel and see which one you prefer.

NastyChipmonk

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for the info, I'll try those two before I go into the paid ones.  PureMusic seems a better value than Amara, but I have a friend who swears by it.

Being an open source junkie,  Audirvana will be my first try.

pslate

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:15 pm »
I am very happy with PM. I have it connected to a V-Dac, then Tripath amplification. Budget bliss as far as I'm concerned. Just be aware PM will not play DRM music.

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:46 pm »
The user interface with both Pure and Amarra are a bit of a PITA (I am an Amarra user). I do not enjoy the drag and drop method of song loading using the playlist feature. The screen also gets crowded with Amarra and I Tunes both open fighting for space. Go with the less expensive of the two and save for a Soolos or Naim system (easy to use). The Amarra sounds great but I find myself using my trusty CD player more and more because it is less fuss. Pressing play is nice and no monitor is needed.

The $3200. I spent on a mac based system is just $800. shy of the just released Soolos at 4K  :oops:

ttan98

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the inputs fellows, since most Apple users are here I like to ask a technical issue, my iMac is a used Intel based PC and it came without an OS. I need to install the OS from scratch, so do I buy the Leopard 10.5 first and install it and then buy the upgrade OS 10.6 install it to get the latest version? Can I buy the OS 10.6 and install it from scratch using that package?

Inputs please.

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:58 am »
Get the latest version, 10.6 and it will install on a clean system without issue.  No need to install an older version first.

ttan98

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:01 am »
Get the latest version, 10.6 and it will install on a clean system without issue.  No need to install an older version first.

many thanks

Toka

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2011, 12:57 am »
I have been thinking about trying one (or both) of these again. I tried Amarra back when it first came out and found it a buggy, unusable mess. That was some time ago and I understand they have made some improvements in terms of stability.

I am curious as to what they do though, as assuming Audio MIDI settings are correct you get bit-transparent output using iTunes. Maybe one day I'll have the free time to switch between them all and really listen.  :scratch:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:23 am »
Pure Music is handy if you want an affordable way to output high resolution music. But even at standard (CD) bitrates, it delivers improved sound quality over iTunes. Of course, YMMV.

dmccombs

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:20 pm »
iTunes is a poor player from a sound quality perspective.  Both Amarra and Pure Music sound way better, and have improved their products over the last couple of months.  Even if people tried them before, they are both worth checking out again.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.   :thumb:

I suggest you download the demos and try them both.  They both sound excellent, but they do sound different. Which you prefer may very well depend on your system's strengths and "weaknesses".

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:57 pm »
I think Amarra only offers 3 EQ points. How many are possible with Pure Music? Are left and right channels independent?
Chris H.

audioman999

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:39 pm »
Do I need to worry about the quality of the iTunes as a music player if all music is sent to a touch?  In that case isn't the touch the player?  I believe iTunes can handle 24/96 output to the touch?

Thanks

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:42 pm »
Ok.....so the music and playback quality is better than itunes, but how do you control it?  I run a headless Mac Mini controlled with an ipad.   Can you run either using the Remote app or something similar?
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 03:04 am by morganc »

Nels Ferre

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:05 am »
Do I need to worry about the quality of the iTunes as a music player if all music is sent to a touch?  In that case isn't the touch the player?  I believe iTunes can handle 24/96 output to the touch?

Thanks

If you are using the Touch, It cannot handle 24/96- at least the first generation couldn't. I'm not sure about the second generation units.

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:28 am »
As mentioned above, both Amarra and PM/PV offer free trial/demo versions. It's probably best to try one or both and see if they sound/work for a partiular situation. Both can be controlled via any VNC app (I'm partial to iTeleport) or, with limited control, via the Remote app (which is how I prefer to control either).

wilsynet

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:48 am »
Ok.....so the music and playbqck quality is better than itunes, but how do you control it?  I run a headless Mac Mini controlled with an ipad.   Can you run either using the Remote app or something similar?

Remote running on your iPad will control iTunes, which is then hooked by Pure Music.  Works seamlessly.

You're coming by next week, right?  You'll see it in action.

audioman999

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:18 am »
Itunes can't handle 24/96 or the touch can't handle 24/96?

Maybe i don't understand but if itunes is just organizing the files and the touch is actually playing them, what is the advantage of pure music?

thanks