Bryston bashing over on Audio Asylum

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Bryston bashing over on Audio Asylum
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:31 pm »
A lot of the Bryston bashers are probably basing their comments on older Bryston gear (pre-SST). Some of the older products were genuinely a little stereotypically solid state to my ears. But the newer gear is truly fantastic -- especially SST2. It's truly high end stuff.

Yup. As a previous owner of the 4B older series absolutely. Only with a tubed Pre [ audible Illusions] or other warm sounding pre did the older amp satisfy. Today a whole different ballgame.
  My advice if one has not heard Bryston in a while DO SO and be prepared to buy. Especially if you own Maggies or other inefficient speakers.  :duh:
  Hey I'm a SET fan saying this. Go listen already.

charles

JBLMVBC

« Reply #61 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
True indeed, B&W finished the job in the 90s...  :lol:
What it has to do with Bryston? Simple: couple them with high efficiency drivers and their transparency is immediate.
I also like the other poster comment about "musical" often meaning warm, it is so true!

You kinda have the right idea, but your time frame is really off.  The Mercurys and Deccas (as well as EMIs and RCAs) that you refer to were recorded during the late 50's and 60's.  Yes, they were monitored through efficient speakers (Tannoys in Europe, I'm not sure what was used here in the states (JBL?, Altec?)), but they were also recorded with simple techniques and (wait for it....) TUBEs!!!  Tube mics (Neuman, Telefunken,...), Tube recorders, and tube consoles.  It wasn't until solid state hit in the late 60's and early 70's that less dynamic speakers came into vogue (well before B&W) (as well as multi-miking), and that recording quality started the slide into hell and damnation.  It took a number of years before record companies were finally able to truly get quality recording out of this "newer technology".  Ironically, it took companies like Telarc to pave the way.

Now what this has to do with Bryston, I dunno.....

Napalm

« Reply #62 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
I also like the other poster comment about "musical" often meaning warm, it is so true!

Dunno guys, I go often to concerts including non-amplified acoustic/classic so I know perfectly how those instruments sound in real life, it would piss me off big time if I went home and heard a rounded, muffled, subdued version of them from my speakers.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:51 pm »
Dunno guys, I go often to concerts including non-amplified acoustic/classic so I know perfectly how those instruments sound in real life, it would piss me off big time if I went home and heard a rounded, muffled, subdued version of them from my speakers.

Nap.

You tell em Napamax  :icon_lol:

Napalm

« Reply #64 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:55 pm »
You tell em Napamax  :icon_lol:

Sure I'll do, Werdtube  :P

Cheer up:

nap.

werd

« Reply #65 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:10 pm »
Sure I'll do, Werdtube  :P

Cheer up:

nap.

Ok you cheered me up  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #66 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:45 pm »
You kinda have the right idea, but your time frame is really off.  The Mercurys and Deccas (as well as EMIs and RCAs) that you refer to were recorded during the late 50's and 60's.  Yes, they were monitored through efficient speakers (Tannoys in Europe, I'm not sure what was used here in the states (JBL?, Altec?)), but they were also recorded with simple techniques and (wait for it....) TUBEs!!!  Tube mics (Neuman, Telefunken,...), Tube recorders, and tube consoles.  It wasn't until solid state hit in the late 60's and early 70's that less dynamic speakers came into vogue (well before B&W) (as well as multi-miking), and that recording quality started the slide into hell and damnation.  It took a number of years before record companies were finally able to truly get quality recording out of this "newer technology".  Ironically, it took companies like Telarc to pave the way.

Now what this has to do with Bryston, I dunno.....

I remember reading an article (interview) with Tim de Pavarinchi (or Esoteric Audio Research fame).  He was discussing recorders and recording techniques.  He stated that he could get the Studer-Revox analog recorders to obtain a very high SNR, and also said that he could get the units to sound more or less the same with either tubes or transistors.  In fact, he was providing just such a service to the recording industry when this review was conducted.

I think the decrease in sound quality regarding recordings had a lot of factors that went into it.  Many of the pop recordings now are just awful,  with a lot of distortion.   However, some modern recordings are incredible sounding.  The sampler disc provided with the Oppo BD-83 has some outstanding sound quality associated with it.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #67 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:14 pm »
Right on! That's why I like Brystons.

Nap.

niels

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:58 pm »
Well, Michael Fremer lost a bit of respect when he tested the 25.000 dollars KR Enterprises amp. he claimed it was the worlds best amp. Measurements concluded that it must have been defect even though a second sample showed the same measurements. Ok, measurements doesnt mean a thing, but...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/kr-enterprise-vt8000-mk-monoblock-power-amplifier-michael-fremer-returns

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:43 am »
....yet another couple of fun filled hours on AC. :)

That's what keeps us comin' back, baby !   :D

D.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:08 am »

Nap.

That's what I meant, Nap. That's what I meant.  :)

Where is Vegasdave, anyway ?

D.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #71 on: 26 Jan 2011, 09:05 am »
Look here, there's a relatively small contingent of Bryston bashers that beat their drum very loudly on these forums. In the real world, Bryston is very well liked and respected. So the Hell with these morons, they don't know what they're talking about. They can have their colored sounding equipment. I seek the truth in recordings, and that's what Bryston gives me.

betamax

« Reply #72 on: 26 Jan 2011, 08:05 pm »
Over here, in sunny Vancouver, there once lived a hi-fi salesperson that said with a sneer that my Bryston ST was a"Jeep". I said to him most deep and absolute that," if it's a jeep how could it ride like a Caddy? "  .......He has since disappeared!...........REDBOOK. :finger: :dance:

Salespeople only like what they're selling. I remember hearing one salesguy slag one manufacturer repeatedly, until his store started carrying it. Then that manufacturer's entire line was the best thing since microwave bacon.

As for musical reproduction: live music ain't soft -- I noticed that while hearing a full symphony orchestra play the other week. I love Bryston's crystal-clear presentation. Several other hifi manufacturers seem to have a 'recessed' sound, in which everything is there but slightly muted, like the treble's been turned down a couple notches. If I want to hear muted music I'll go ride an elevator.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2011, 08:06 pm »
Vegasdave you have taken the words right out of my keyboard! I think you have hit the nail on the head here. After 40 years of searching for the right sound for myself Bryston has given me peace at last . Be well..Redbook. :beer:

vegasdave

« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan 2011, 08:27 pm »
Vegasdave you have taken the words right out of my keyboard! I think you have hit the nail on the head here. After 40 years of searching for the right sound for myself Bryston has given me peace at last . Be well..Redbook. :beer:

Thank you! I appreciate that! Sounds good.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #75 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:08 am »
no problemo........ :dance:

RandyH

« Reply #76 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:04 am »
I am always entertained by the DEFCON 4 damage control mobilization of members of this forum when something less than stellar is said about their Brystons.  Before you label me as yet another basher, I am the proud owner of a 4bsst2.  It is my favorite among a number of quality SS amps I have had in my system over the past 20 years.  I found the 7bsst review in Stereophile to be informative and some interesting food for thought.  I think I hear some of the same characteristics in my 4bsst2  that Mike Fremer described in the 7bsst....although I would probably have described these characteristics slightly differently than did the reviewer and ultimately regard them as strengths of the amp.   If nothing else I would think the "controversial" review would stimulate interest and curiosity in the amp and stimulate potential buyers to seek it out for an audition.

vegasdave

« Reply #77 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:45 am »
I am always entertained by the DEFCON 4 damage control mobilization of members of this forum when something less than stellar is said about their Brystons.  Before you label me as yet another basher, I am the proud owner of a 4bsst2.  It is my favorite among a number of quality SS amps I have had in my system over the past 20 years.  I found the 7bsst review in Stereophile to be informative and some interesting food for thought.  I think I hear some of the same characteristics in my 4bsst2  that Mike Fremer described in the 7bsst....although I would probably have described these characteristics slightly differently than did the reviewer and ultimately regard them as strengths of the amp.   If nothing else I would think the "controversial" review would stimulate interest and curiosity in the amp and stimulate potential buyers to seek it out for an audition.

"I am always entertained by the DEFCON 4 damage control mobilization of members of this forum when something less than stellar is said about their Brystons."

You can say the same for any brand where the owners are fiercely loyal. It's not just Bryston.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #78 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:14 pm »
Actually Randy, DEFCON 4 is pretty peaceful.  According to the movie War Games, DEFCON 1 is World War III.

People definitely get a bit carried away.  Can't believe people are still hanging on the Fremmer thing.  They say it doesn't bother them and they don't give it any credit.

My response to the bashers and Fremmer's review...

"I never make the mistake of arguing with someone who's opinion I have no respect for."

I remember reading that quote (by a famous author who I forget) on a wall of a pub I was at for lunch one day after arguing with the biggest moron I've ever worked with.  I went to the office a lot happier that afternoon, and it wasn't due to the booze.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #79 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:40 pm »

"I never make the mistake of arguing with someone who's opinion I have no respect for."

Greetings Stu  :D

I always admire your most astute ability to quickly cut through the clutter :thumb:

Great quote  :D

Be well...