One.2 on its way

jelt2359

Re: One.2 on its way
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:42 am »
Wow. Just bought myself a really nice DAC, but I'll get on this in a jiffy- as long as it's black :P

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »
J -
It's been a 3 year project and we've learned at each stage.  Mardis and Dodd have had roles in the design, and there have been others.  It's expensive to build but a really great sounding device.  That's all I am prepared to say right now.  Thanks for understanding.
Seth

Nuff said, :D, I know Gary is a big fan of the Tranquility dac.

dboulet

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:13 pm »
Anyone else dying to know what this thing is going to look like? Here is my stab at it:

I showed it to Seth and he assured me that this is NOT what it will look like. Too bad, would've been nice to stack my Sensation right on top.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Virtue DAC
« Reply #43 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:17 am »
I actually like the thin design.  The dimensions of the Sensation were actually driven by Piano (it was taller) but I do like something a bit more squash.  Look, I could offer the DAC in a big Sensation case like this one.  However, there's going to be lots of air in there.  Your thoughts?

OzarkTom

« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:21 am »
I like the squash look, keep it as small as you cam.

Robb_G

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:33 am »
Seth,  I am happy with something smaller than the Sensation.  The DAC I currently have is much smaller, and there is really no downside.  It fits well in the cabinet, and I would expect the same from a Virtue DAC.

It would be great if it is available to match my black/rosewood Sensation!

jelt2359

« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:39 am »
Horizontal like the Sensation, not vertical like the Virtue.

And yes, matching colours.

And, and, yes, smaller is better than bigger.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #47 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:58 am »
Seth
The Melissa platform is working  for me. It just has to fit in here somewhere.
 8)

wsturner

« Reply #48 on: 8 Feb 2011, 05:04 am »
And, and, yes, smaller is better than bigger.

That's what she said?

goorackerelite

« Reply #49 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:06 am »
Seth, I'm thinking if you can squeeze all the sound quality into a smaller case, then I'd say go for it. Go for the record of the best sounding per square inch DAC in existence.

dboulet

« Reply #50 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:09 am »
My concept was to have an Iceblock-like enclosure that would be about two thirds the height of the Sensation, thereby forming a golden ratio relationship with it ;). An even slimmer enclosure could work fine as well, maybe something half the height of the Sensation.

Because I run a desktop setup, to me it's all about desktop real estate. So a DAC enclosure that can be stacked underneath my amp is better than something smaller that has to be placed beside it. Why not just stack it on top? I want to show off that zebrawood top! :)

Taking the idea of maximizing the footprint even further, the ultimate solution would be a kit that allows us to install the DAC directly into the Sensation. :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2011, 02:47 pm by dboulet »

momini1

« Reply #51 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:29 pm »
Here's another vote for horizontal rather than vertical. Stackability would be a nice feature for those of us who have limited space. I think many people would run this in some kind of stack - either device on device or devices in a rack - so I would keep that in mind as a design aesthetic. Another concern for us stackers is device depth. My audio-gd dac is similar in width to the Sensation, but I can't stack them because the dac is much deeper and overhangs the back of the Sensation. I'd vote for a dac with a  similar footprint, but a reduced height.  But I'll buy it no matter what it looks like :lol:

PSB Guy

« Reply #52 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:32 pm »
I love the idea of a half-height Melissa enclosure, it would probably convince me to replace my original One with a Sensation (after all, stuff has to match  :wink:). Whatever the final decision is, I'll be in line on opening day.

Cornelis

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #53 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:28 pm »
We'd probably give up some customization to go half-height (I can't afford to stock 2x the number of sides in every color) but I'll give it serious consideration.  Another idea is to put SLA batteries and a buffer, in the big case, a la RWA.  What are your thoughts on the external battery supply?  I quite like it outside the case.

wsturner

« Reply #54 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:35 pm »
+1 for batteries outside the case.

roscoeiii

« Reply #55 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm »
Seth,

Ready to divulge any details of the DAC's USB implementation? Limited to 16/44, or can it handle 24/96 and/or 24/192 via USB?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #56 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:45 pm »
The standard model (in the small case) will have a standard BB usb but in the bigger case, we're going to try to build a HiFace type device into it.  Aaron is working on that piece now, based on the XMOS chipset.  We'll also sell it separately.  The underlying DAC chipset is 192khz capable.

PSB Guy

« Reply #57 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:47 pm »
We'd probably give up some customization to go half-height (I can't afford to stock 2x the number of sides in every color) but I'll give it serious consideration.  Another idea is to put SLA batteries and a buffer, in the big case, a la RWA.  What are your thoughts on the external battery supply?  I quite like it outside the case.
When you say big case, do you mean the regular Melissa enclosure? If you can fit a DAC, batteries and a buffer in there, that's how I would go, personally. Saves you money since you can use existing sides and tops, keeps the customization. OTOH, keeping the power supply on the outside of the case gives you further customization options, which is one of the big strengths of the amps. So many decisions...

Cornelis

se-riously

« Reply #58 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:07 pm »
I would prefer the batteries to be outside the case - especially if the same battery supply for the Sensation/Virtue amps can be used to power the DAC.

turboboy

« Reply #59 on: 8 Feb 2011, 08:08 pm »
this is getting  exciting. the 901, piano and dac: synergy deluxe.  horizontal for stacking.
i await delivery of the dodd battery, which should arrive shortly. now i have to wait for the dac. deferred gratification is a drag.

seth- you communication with the  virtue community is superlative.

johnfromboston.