Headphones for Ipod touch

werd

Headphones for Ipod touch
« on: 22 Jan 2011, 04:49 pm »
Just got one of those 64gb gen4 ipod touch. Can i expect better performance from after market headphones or are the one's supplied as good as they get?  I know i have bagged out on Mac products before but i think these new touch's are pretty funky and worth the cost.

I have seen so far some JVC, sennheiser and the legendary Bose (hehe) after market phones. Not really into headphone playback so i don't much about what to expect.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Headphones for Ipod touch
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm »
werd- the stock ones are not very good. If you buy some Sony Earbuds like these you'll be happy....cost is low and they sound good..I still use mine. If you want to take things up a notch let me know...there is a great little headphone amp-Fiio E5 for $20ish-better sound quality more so than amplifier, and the Fiio LOD cable for like $8 ish.....the amp and the cable bypasses the ipods amp and you'll get much better playback...but phones first.
 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX36V-BLK-Earbud-Headphone/dp/B001EYU3JO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295715539&sr=8-2

Here is the Fiio E5 link if you go insane like I did:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P9EQH8/ref=oss_product
and the cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G8GZV6/ref=oss_product

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:14 pm »
I got a Touch just before Christmas.

I use Shure SE115 phones direct out of the iTouch, and it is good.

I also own the e5 and LOD in question, and it is very good for use with larger, harder to drive headphones.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:31 pm »
Thanks guys. I will try to find those sony and shure around. More into mobility/performance than concentrating on performance alone so i don't really want tag along gear. Its amazing how much after market is out there like that amp.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2011, 06:41 pm »
Can't believe within hours of owning my ipod i dropped a wallwart power supply on it and busted up my screen.......  :bawl:  Oh well i guess its got personality now.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   werd!!!  I feel for ya....get a refurb next time from Apple, they are fully guaranteed. :slap:

srb

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:22 pm »
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   werd!!!  I feel for ya....get a refurb next time from Apple, they are fully guaranteed.

Not against accidental physical breakage.  Even the optional Apple Care warranty won't cover that.  There are home insurance riders that can be purchased for laptops that will cover accidental breakage, liquid spills, etc. (for only ~ $25/year) but I don't think they are available for iPods or iPhones.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:29 pm »
No..I miscommunicated....I meant buy a refurb to replace it because they are cheaper and warrantied for hardware malfunctions.. the broken one is toast and the next one will be toast also if it happens again but at least it'll be cheaper each time....

srb

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:41 pm »
No..I miscommunicated....I meant buy a refurb to replace it because they are cheaper and warrantied for hardware malfunctions.. the broken one is toast and the next one will be toast also if it happens again but at least it'll be cheaper each time....

Gotcha.....the refurbs are fully guaranteed, just like a new one.  Too bad iPod/iPhone riders aren't available on homeowner's or homerenter's policies.  Based on my State Farm quote ($25/year for up to $2000 laptop = 1.25%), it would only be $3.75/year on a 32GB iPod touch!

Steve

werd

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:04 pm »
It actually cured me of my impulse to buy itune videos and tv series downloads. I bought the family guy episode where they all get invited to James Woods's house. It turns into a murder mystery....  :lol: I was starting to waste money on it.

It still plays perfect, camera works, all the apps still work, functions perfect other than the cracked screen. I wanted a decent portable audio player and i still have that. Just trying to be positive here.

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm »
Sorry to hear about the mishap, it hurts when this happens  :cry:

You might want to go back to Apple and see if they're prepared to help you out on this.  We've had an iMac since June and the keyboard was sticking, took it back to the local Apple store last week and told them it could be a fault with the keyboard or one of the kids spilling juice on it.  After lifting off one of the keys you could see the residue from a drink - turns out it was apple juice.  Not sure of they liked the pun but they volunteered to exchange the keyboard for a new one.  It might be worth owning up to the accident and asking them about a repair - you've nothing to loose, apart from the embarrassment.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about the mishap, it hurts when this happens  :cry:

You might want to go back to Apple and see if they're prepared to help you out on this.  We've had an iMac since June and the keyboard was sticking, took it back to the local Apple store last week and told them it could be a fault with the keyboard or one of the kids spilling juice on it.  After lifting off one of the keys you could see the residue from a drink - turns out it was apple juice.  Not sure of they liked the pun but they volunteered to exchange the keyboard for a new one.  It might be worth owning up to the accident and asking them about a repair - you've nothing to loose, apart from the embarrassment.

My wife recommended i do  the same thing.  I am thinking about looking for some compassionate  sales intiative. Might work but everything on the website says otherwise as to damage.

thanks

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:20 pm »
Look around the web for how to replace it yourself.  One of the students at the college I work at has made some decent beer money replacing screens on iTouch/iPhones.

I think he said the screen can be found for about $40 and it takes about 15 minutes.  I may be off, but it's worth looking into IMO.  Apple will probably charge almost as much as a new one.