N3 T.L. build.

Zerogravity

N3 T.L. build.
« on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:31 pm »
After a very long decison and much research I decided to purchase Danny Richies N3 kit! This is my first build and his designs were what I considered the best DIY designs while being affordable! So far I have built 1 cabinet minus the base and 1 complete crossover. Thanks to Ron and Danny for the help! I have only listened to the one and am very impressed thus far!

Zerogravity

Re: N3 T.L. build.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:34 pm »
Sorry for the bad quality pics, I used my phone. Im so new at this, im not sure how to get the correct angle of the picture!

Zerogravity

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm »
More pics of the build!

Zerogravity

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
Im trying to figure out how to attach the base? I think the original base was not high enough and I would like it flush with the cabinet so I can push it against my wife's entertainment center, when Im not listening to music. It looks flush or better this way, like its part of the entertainment center. She wants it this way, so it has to be done! If anyone has any ideas on how to affix the base to the cabinet, I would appreciate it!
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2011, 02:40 am by Zerogravity »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2011, 08:55 pm »
Im trying to figure out how to attach the base? I think the original base was not high enough and I would like it flush with the cabinet so I can push it against wife's entertainment center, when Im not listening to music. It looks flush or better this way like, its part of the entertainment center. She wants it this way, so it has to be done! If anyone has any ideas on how to affix the base to the cabinet, I would appreciate it!

I'm not sure about anybody else but could you rephrase that? :scratch:

Better pictures in the right orientation wouldn't hurt either.  I'm just sayin...

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm »
Im trying to figure out how to attach the base? I think the original base was not high enough and I would like it flush with the cabinet so I can push it against wife's entertainment center, when Im not listening to music. It looks flush or better this way like, its part of the entertainment center. She wants it this way, so it has to be done! If anyone has any ideas on how to affix the base to the cabinet, I would appreciate it!

Welcome ZeroG,

You are going to love these speakers.  I just finished my build of N3 and I struggled a little to figure this same question.  Here is what I did.  I located the center of the base by drawing a straight line between the corners and then located the center of the speaker by the same procedure.  Next I drilled a pilot hole in the base and the speaker.  Next I predrilled 4 additional holes in the base in a 5 X pattern.  I flipped the speaker over so that the top is the bottom and attached the base with screws using the center hole of the base/speaker.  Next I predrilled the other 4 holes and attached the last 4 screws.  I think you could modify this approach for your needs.

aharami

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2011, 11:32 pm »
I'm in the process of building a pair of N3 as well.  Are bases required?  What purpose does it serve other than stability?  I kinda like the look of it w/o the base

patricksalter

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2011, 12:47 am »
Regarding the base, as long as the bottom is sealed, I think its ok to go without the base.  However, speaker placement is a critical component to getting your system tuned, and placing them against an entertainment center can have a serious negative effect on the sound.  I'd look for negotiating room with the wife.  You really need to spend a lot of time tweaking placement in your room to get the sound just right.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but a couple of feet from any wall or large object is optimal. 

HT cOz

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:43 am »
I'm in the process of building a pair of N3 as well.  Are bases required?  What purpose does it serve other than stability?  I kinda like the look of it w/o the base

The bases help raise the speaker so the tweeter is closer to ear level.  They also couple the speaker to the floor.  I listened to my speaker for a few days without bases and was honestly shocked by the difference the spikes firmly planted into my hardwood floors made in the bass response.  It just tightened it up.  By the way the bass of these speakers is really impressive.  The best way to describe bass is that you hear texture in the bass that you didn't know existed. 

One alternative that I really wanted to go with and left that as an option for later is Outriggers.  I think these would be very cool.  http://www.soundocity.com/products.html

Good Luck and let us know what you think we you get them hooked up.

Robert

Zerogravity

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:13 am »
I'm not sure about anybody else but could you rephrase that? :scratch:

Better pictures in the right orientation wouldn't hurt either.  I'm just sayin...
Rephrase what exactly, the best way to attach a base? See 2nd post!

Zerogravity

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:38 am »
Thank you for the help, at least those of you who had something positive to say! Sorry for the long pause in replying, I had some disturbing personal matters that came up and had to rush out.
   Thank you for the ideas on the base, I decided to do without it! If I need to raise it, I will think of putting it on a base or buy a pair of outriggers. The idea of placing it flush against the entertainment center, is just for cosmetic reasons and try to appease my wife when we are not using them. I will pull them away a few feet before I listen to music.
   HT CoZ: I think your Neo3 build is really excellent, I love the veneer pattern and color!
   Aharami: I dig your build as well and seems to be going along great! I was a bit embarrased to even show my speakers compared to you guy's. I had the minimum of tools and budget to work with. Let's just say I didn't have the straightest of cuts nor the build experience, but it all worked out. Thanks to Danny, I think we can all agree the N3s are almost like winning the lottery. It truely is a lot of speaker for the asking price.

Zerogravity

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:59 am »
I have completed only 1 speaker so far.  I am testing and listening with my  other Neo3 bookshelf in stereo. It's not a very accurate way to judge sound quality, however whatever plays thorough it sounds phenomenal. There is so much more detail compared to my old Neo3. I'd imagine the lower crossover point, overall design and DeepCup tweeter plays a huge part. You guy's are correct however as I can hear more detail in the low end! Again the crossover design and Transmission Line have a big impact with this. It's just a great speaker that plays smooth with plenty of detail and is musical to boot.

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:24 am »
ZeroG,

I think you are looking good.  Don't go talking about the Deep Cups mine are the older non-deepcup Neos... I will get upgraditis  :thumb: I also won't stress too much about placing them next to the tv cabinet.  I personally find small things like that hard to tell a difference... Oh great now someone is going to come pull my Audiophile card  :duh:

Zerogravity

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
Ha...ha! Audiophile card, you can't be and A.C. Member without it!
Seriously with those speakers being near and entertainment center shouldn't be a problem and I have moved the openings of the T.L lines toward the front. Danny knew my placement issues and recommended these, I was originally looking at the O3s, but because of placement issues he directed me towards the N3. I know what you mean though, sometimes you just forget to sit back and enjoy the music!

aharami

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2011, 04:05 pm »
Regarding the base, as long as the bottom is sealed, I think its ok to go without the base.  However, speaker placement is a critical component to getting your system tuned, and placing them against an entertainment center can have a serious negative effect on the sound.  I'd look for negotiating room with the wife.  You really need to spend a lot of time tweaking placement in your room to get the sound just right.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but a couple of feet from any wall or large object is optimal. 
Seems like ZeroGravity has the port in the front.  In that case,  placing it against the wall will be ok.  Not 100% sure though.  That's  what I recall Danny saying when I spoke with him on the phone.  And  Danny recommends 1' away from the wall if you have the port in the back,  if I recall correctly.

edit: nevermind.  Zero already mentioned this in the previous post

patricksalter

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:42 pm »
I guess I stand corrected.  Also, whats the advantage of putting the port on the front?   Is it just for placement?   Or does it affect sound in any way?

dvenardos

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:44 am »
Danny recommends putting the port in front if you have less than 18" from the rear wall. With the port in the back you adjust the bass coupling by adjusting the distance from the rear wall. With the port in front the bass you get is what you get, but you can place the N3 closer to the rear wall.

I guess I stand corrected.  Also, whats the advantage of putting the port on the front?   Is it just for placement?   Or does it affect sound in any way?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:00 am »
Congrats! :thumb:

I'm glad you were able to satisfy the WAF. :wink:

Ruben