Making my Grado's sound even better-modding.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Making my Grado's sound even better-modding.
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:55 am »
Here are some better shots for you...I couldn't quite get the camera in one shaky hand to take the picture of my other shaky hand holding the ruler abd shell so fudge it...what do you think line the shell with thin felt??
Maybe make a chamber like i did in the others??

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:59 am »
It would help if I posted the pics wouldn't it..LOL

ever since i upgrade win7 to service pack 1 I'm getting serious crashes....will try more later or send me your email and I'll shoot these pics off to you..darn PC's

bacobits1

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:41 am »
Sheeeet! Isn't that service pack one a beta?
Don't ever use a beta on a machine you expect to have some stability.
YIKES! Especially from Microsloth. It will take them 18 months after official release to fix it just in time for Service pack 3. :thumb:

There's a time bomb in it that deactivates your validation key, among other nasties. Even un-installing it will not resolve it. :shake:

Den

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:44 am »
I think its actually release candidate material..bad isn't it......

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:52 am »
Here are better pics for you Mark..

Mark while taking these pictures for you I had a brainstorm....another WOW moment..

mcgsxr

« Reply #25 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:47 pm »
Interesting design the way he mounts the stock plastic front into the rear ring - my cups are just slip over rears, that will friction set over the front plastic stock ones.

Still waiting for the jumbo pads.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:35 pm »
Mark- i don't have a soldering iron so I asked him to just notch them. So anyway after I took those pictures and because my ankles were swollen like thighs and the pain was so intense I spent the wee hours goofing with these and in general they made everything bright, some recordings were perfect and others were bright and fatiguing....so....I was thinking.... the notch for the cable made him put in the rim so the plastic driver tray didn't slide to far up into the shell and crimp the cable so the chamber behind the driver was much bigger and more resonant because of the wood and the screening that Bill so kindly installed for me...I needed to dampen it some how so I took apart the 125's and took out that thin foam I had inside as a cap with the plastic mesh and button behind it. I put the shells with the screen side down on my desk and used a pen to push the screen flat and level with the shell, I added as much of a 90 degree angle as possible and then I took the thin foam and pushed it in behind the screen and BOOM!!!

Everything now sounds perfect, no more edginess...the wood sounds great and now with that little bit of foam material up against the screen its like thats stuff Danny sells...darn, the damping stuff but it still haas openings in he foam...

I think these are done and I'm serious when I say they sound the best of ny headphones I have ever heard in my life...LOL and they look cool as heck!!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #27 on: 1 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm »
I managed to find the time today to sort out how to create the recess for the cables, into the new wooden cups.

Below are images of my new east indian rosewood wood cups.  Lots of work to do (recabling this weekend, some more sanding, and a decision around what finish to put on them), but fun to hear them after all the hard work.  Using the bowl pads at the moment, with the 6 holes, it is good stuff.  You can see the blu tack holding them together, but hey, it is WIP!

Oh, and there is my youngest daughter a new headphone fan - she enjoys Bob Marley on the modded SR60i's!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 2 Mar 2011, 01:14 am »
Very cool....how do they sound or has she taken possesion?? LOL

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:20 pm »
She lets me use them some, especially when she is in school and I am working from home!

They sound good, I am happy with the progress.

I will continue down this path further, and see what the recabling and larger pads bring me.

I am in an interesting position - I have 4 sets of pads, so I can try all kinds of combos.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2011, 01:40 am »
I'm pretty much homebound right now so I'm bored but the tunes are good, so check this out..I added EVS Ground Enhancers inside each shell attached to the negative terminal in each ear cup/driver.
WOW!!!!! This was what I was thinking about when Bilavideo told me he'd send me some shells. I figured while I'm in there messing around I'd install an extra pair I had and make uber Grado's and it worked... boy did it work!!!

stratocaster

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2011, 11:43 am »
I'm pretty much homebound right now so I'm bored but the tunes are good, so check this out..I added EVS Ground Enhancers inside each shell attached to the negative terminal in each ear cup/driver.
WOW!!!!! This was what I was thinking about when Bilavideo told me he'd send me some shells. I figured while I'm in there messing around I'd install an extra pair I had and make uber Grado's and it worked... boy did it work!!!

Would you please be so kind as to post pix of how you have the body of the enhancer rest inside the cups?

Could you post a picture of how the body of the evs enhancer rests inside the cups? Thanks in advance!

charmerci

« Reply #32 on: 5 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
Personally, I'd be concerned about having my children wearing headphones. They're still growing/developing and with loud listening, they're permanently damaging their hearing.

Just my .02.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
stratocaster-sorry I just caught up with this thread, here are pics for you:

Very temporary for the moment, notice the tape, but I do not have soldering equipment so I wanted to hear it first, I like it alot...gotta buy an iron now and become officially a DIYer...

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:53 am »
charmerci - a valid point about headphone use with kids, both my daughters get closely monitored visits with the gear when they want to try it.  Mostly they want to put them on, because Daddy wears them for so long when he works from home on certain days!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 9 Apr 2011, 08:50 pm »
In the spirit of finding just the right thing I kept going with the mods and my buddy over at head-fi turned out some new shells with a little different shell thickness and better fit, I took the EVS ground enhancers out as it felt they were too bright afterall, basically I redid the look and another gentleman at head-fi found a local source to him for Leather headbands...so the original SR125's John R sent me now have shells made of Limba wood, leather headband and the same interior mods I already did to the driver, its housing etc.. they sound very warm, detailed but warm like your comfy sweater and jeans you'd throw on to kick around the house-these are now complete.

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2011, 11:50 pm »
This is awesome.  I was just talking to my co-worker who was telling me about the SR60's, but I had no idea that you could mod them and make them sound better?! Wow.  I currently have a pair of Philips that I really like, but thought any headphone is about impossible to mod in any way.  Well I see the light now.  Thank you all!