High End Prices: Are they TOO High?

BobM

Re: High End Prices: Are they TOO High?
« Reply #80 on: 8 Feb 2011, 09:46 pm »
I do understand the:
- markup margins
- increased parts/materials cost (especially in the cutting edge)
- increased labor costs
- inflation

Unfortunately it is fast becoming a hobby where I can't even hear the good stuff anymore because brick and morter stores are failing everywhere. And I really can't pretend that I'm going to spend $15K-$20K on a pair of speakers (or anything else) when I'm happier buying the last version/model at half their original retail price (which was probably 50% below the new models).

So I can't look, I can't touch, I can only read about or visit rich friends with deep pockets (can you please introduce me to a few?).

werd

« Reply #81 on: 8 Feb 2011, 09:56 pm »
I do understand the:
- markup margins
- increased labor costs
- inflation

Unfortunately it is fast becoming a hobby where I can't even hear the good stuff anymore because brick and morter stores are failing everywhere. And I really can't pretend that I'm going to spend $15K-$20K on a pair of speakers (or anything else) when I'm happier buying the last version/model at half their original retail price (which was probably 50% below the new models).

So I can't look, I can't touch, I can only read about or visit rich friends with deep pockets (can you please introduce me to a few?).

I know, you can go drive a car worth $50k off the lot NO PROBLEM on trial but try and audition a pair of speakers a quarter of that price. Its really weird.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #82 on: 8 Feb 2011, 10:37 pm »
Agreed, if you figure for a plumber to come to you house to fix your leaky drains you're going to get charged $75 an hour. Apply that to building audio equipment which is very skilled labor! If a piece of equipment takes 40 man hours to build, which is far from unheard of, that's $3000 in just labor! Plus parts, margin on parts, distributors cut, store fronts and so many other things it makes my head spin. Yes prices are high, but this ain't fast food baby this is something that in order to build something of quality requires skill and attention to detail.

So yes it's fair, the prices are what they are. Fair and justified, now the only thing left is whether or not you like it and are willing to pay for it.

How about a car, and all its sub assemblies?
How many man hours are there in a car's design and manufacture?
A speaker's(?)

Just sayin'

Freo-1

« Reply #83 on: 8 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm »
How about a car, and all its sub assemblies?
How many man hours are there in a car's design and manufacture?
A speaker's(?)

Just sayin'

Excellent point.  The justification for ultra high prices just do not add up from a "overall" value or price vs. perfromance standpoint. 

Pride of ownership is another issue altogether.   "Whatever the market will bear" is the essence of a free and open marketplace.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #84 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:38 am »
   They are a lot BOSE BASHERS on these forums ! Most of the music comes from the MIDRANGE and these new and improved BOSE 901 series 6 mk2 speakers have one of the BEST MIDRANGE money can buy...AT ANY PRICE ! The 901's midrange clarity and harmonic cohesiveness are so captivating that it draws you into the music much more. I've only heard a few speakers that are as good as these new improved 901's are in the midrange and one being my friend's Quad ESL-57's.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #85 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:49 am »
Hifisoundguy, two questions for you.
1. Are you the same hifisoundguy who advocated a applying a layer of concrete on speaker cones?
2. Do you have a quick key stroke for "new and improved Bose 902 series 6 mk 2 speakers?" If not you you create one.
I owned a pair of Bose 901 series IVs back in the 80s. I enjoyed the noise they made until I replaced them with a speaker of some accuracy (Paradigm 9mkIIIs).

werd

« Reply #86 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:51 am »
   They are a lot BOSE BASHERS on these forums ! Most of the music comes from the MIDRANGE and these new and improved BOSE 901 series 6 mk2 speakers have one of the BEST MIDRANGE money can buy...AT ANY PRICE ! The 901's midrange clarity and harmonic cohesiveness are so captivating that it draws you into the music much more. I've only heard a few speakers that are as good as these new improved 901's are in the midrange and one being my friend's Quad ESL-57's.

Well they do have a 30 day money back gaurantee but it still looks like they can't really do much with lots of power. My gym has a pair of 801's up in the rafters and i have to say they are really hard to localize. The downside being they sound dismal. They might be good gaming monitors since a lot of what you hear in games is ambience. I can see them being excellent gaming monitors.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #87 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:23 am »
Well they do have a 30 day money back gaurantee but it still looks like they can't really do much with lots of power. My gym has a pair of 801's up in the rafters and i have to say they are really hard to localize. The downside being they sound dismal. They might be good gaming monitors since a lot of what you hear in games is ambience. I can see them being excellent gaming monitors.
                                                                                                            I found these 901's are far better sounding with the speakers turned around backwards and pushed into the corners! This made for a drastic reduction in cone excursion and distortion for a given output. Someone on another forum said that Paul Klipsch tested the 901's back in the 70's and found that they sounded best with the speakers turned backwards and pushed into the corners.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #88 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:35 am »
I do understand the:
- markup margins
- increased labor costs
- inflation

Goodsound.com is a good starting point for quality entry level equipment.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #89 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:45 am »
Bose 901's are simply a extended range single driver design (with 9 drivers in that goofy direct/reflecting design).  I say "goofy" because its based on the premise that most of what we hear at home is reflected sound (but if that's true, why "re-reflect")?

The 901 design produces a very American "bigger is better" soundscape versus a more discrete/detailed sound from a typical monitor.

And obviously their marketing cost (including retailing) is a huge percentage of the consumer prices.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #90 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm »
Bose 901's are simply a extended range single driver design (with 9 drivers in that goofy direct/reflecting design).  I say "goofy" because its based on the premise that most of what we hear at home is reflected sound (but if that's true, why "re-reflect")?

The 901 design produces a very American "bigger is better" soundscape versus a more discrete/detailed sound from a typical monitor.

And obviously their marketing cost (including retailing) is a huge percentage of the consumer prices.
  They have been making these 901's for over 42 years so a lot people must like them. I think your going to hear a lot raves in the near future about these new whizzer speaker drivers bose is now using in their new 901 series 6 mk2 speakers !.....

Sam-fi

« Reply #91 on: 16 Feb 2011, 09:08 pm »
  They have been making these 901's for over 42 years so a lot people must like them. I think your going to hear a lot raves in the near future about these new whizzer speaker drivers bose is now using in their new 901 series 6 mk2 speakers !.....

The "everyone does it so it must be good" argument never holds up. Also, it is a logical fallacy.

Did you just post that these sound better pointed into a corner?  :lol: I realize the put sound out the back but...

Sam

jupejones

« Reply #92 on: 18 Feb 2011, 09:48 pm »
I would say that high end prices are not too high, in that it's a mostly free economy where you can charge whatever you want. A lot of companies do put out "statement" items to showcase craftsmanship or technology and sell very few, but that's hardly limited to audio (see cars, watches, etc.).