FS: Set of 5 Black ceramic nOrh 4.0 speakers

Glen_L

FS: Set of 5 Black ceramic nOrh 4.0 speakers
« on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:59 pm »
** SOLD **

I have a set of 5 black ceramic nOrh 4.0 speakers that have been just taking up space for the last several years.  They are sealed in their original packing and boxes, and all were in as-new cosmetic and working order when last connected.

I'd like to get $600+shipping for the full set.  I see that ceramics are no longer even offered on their website, wood is now $450/pair, and there is apparently no discount for buying a set of 5.  Given that, I think my price is fair.

I'm in Elk Grove, CA in case anyone local might be interested in checking them out.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 07:25 pm by Glen_L »

OkRon

Re: FS: Set of 5 Black ceramic nOrh 4.0 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:45 pm »
This would make someone an awesome 5.1 home theater (with a sub)!

dcktr

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 07:43 am »
If you consider selling 2 of them, I would be interested
Thanks Ron

Glen_L

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2011, 10:19 pm »
Sorry, I have to sell the full set.

It sounds like SteveSatch might be interested in them but I can't figure out how to reply to private messages.  I don't know if it's because I'm new to the forum or what, but I can't view anyone's profile either.

I'll lower to $700+shipping costs, any takers at this price?  Please e-mail any interest to U C I B the G (at) (the letter after F) mail (dot) com.  No spaces.  :)

Thanks

Glen

BobMajor

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:05 am »
You have to be "logged in" to the circle in order to send a message.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:06 am »
Sorry, I have to sell the full set.

It sounds like SteveSatch might be interested in them but I can't figure out how to reply to private messages.  I don't know if it's because I'm new to the forum or what, but I can't view anyone's profile either.

I'll lower to $700+shipping costs, any takers at this price?  Please e-mail any interest to U C I B the G (at) (the letter after F) mail (dot) com.  No spaces.  :)

Thanks

Glen

I believe they changed permissions due to spam and newbies can read but can't send PMs.  These are nice speakers so anyone who is interested should just send the poster an E-Mail by clicking the icon.  That way it can be responded to

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:11 am »
Here's one one the links about the new features for new members - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90447.0

Glen_L

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2011, 05:54 am »
Thanks for the info, Phil.  Looks like I just need one more "good post" after this one to lose my newbie status  :)

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2011, 09:05 am »
Why don't people read what it says before clicking on "I agree"?

Glen_L

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2011, 11:53 pm »
I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case I registered January 15th which I think was before the new registration agreement went into effect.  Beyond that, the website registration process was broken when I tried and I had to e-mail my registration request information to admin@audiocircle.com.  So I never saw the old agreement either.  If you look in the Login Help forum, you'll see that I wasn't the only one having problems creating an account.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:59 am »
Hi Glen, give us a bit of the history of your purchase of these Ceramic 4.0s! You did use them for a while, how were they set up? What prompted you to purchase them?  What did you think of them, sound quality as well as appearance? I assume you had them in a 5.0 or 5.1 HT setup? Did you use a receiver or did you use separate components?

I think $700 is a good price! Hopefully someone will need all 5, maybe use them in more than 1 system etc.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2011, 08:08 am »
Fair enough then. But it wasn't "broken", it was turned off.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case I registered January 15th which I think was before the new registration agreement went into effect.  Beyond that, the website registration process was broken when I tried and I had to e-mail my registration request information to admin@audiocircle.com.  So I never saw the old agreement either.  If you look in the Login Help forum, you'll see that I wasn't the only one having problems creating an account.

Glen_L

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:51 pm »
I bought them right around when the ceramics were first offered, around 2000 I think?  I had read reviews of the nOrh speakers, everyone said the 4.0s were the ones to get, especially for home theater.  I couldn't afford the marbles though, and caught wind that ceramic would soon be in the offering.  They were ideal; they had the non-resonant enclosure of the marble at the price of the wood.  Of course, they probably aren't as beautiful as either of those, but I valued function before form :)

They were set up in a HTPC setup.  I initially used a receiver, then ended up ordering the LeAmp monoblocks (which I'm keeping, thanks 8)).  I used them in conjunction with a pair of SVS 25-31CS+ subs, which I'm also keeping.  The sound was amazing, obviously.  I actually used them in a 4.1 setup at first, because there was no good place to put the center speaker in relation to the monitor.  The two fronts did an amazing job of imaging a "phantom" center.  You would swear that dialog came directly from the monitor.  They were set up in a small room, everything very near-field (like 3 feet from each speaker).  This enabled me to reach true reference levels at the listening position for all channels.  It was way overkill and everyone thought I was crazy, but it was my little dream fulfilled :lol:

I eventually moved to a new home where I just couldn't find a good spot for the nOrhs, especially the surrounds.  I ended up getting a set of Ascend Acoustics speakers with a more traditional shape, and mounted them up on the walls.  They sound great too, though they're not a conversation piece like the nOrh.  The nOrhs have been boxed up since, which I feel bad about knowing they could have been enjoyed by someone.

Visually, the ceramics have a few unique characteristics.  Though sold as black, they are not a true black.  Rather, they are a very deep shade of green, I say an olive hue, SteveSatch calls it dark military.  In most lighting conditions they'd be seen as black, but under close inspection (or especially a camera flash) the green is apparent.  There is also the matter of the unfinished ceramic edge beneath the grill.  Some people like to run their speakers without grills; these would probably look a little funny.  Also, there are spots where the ceramic edge might show a sliver around the grills, depending on the angle you face them from.  This is just something bound to happen with handmade speakers; I have to imagine it's pretty darn difficult to perfectly round the face to align with the grill.

I've been asked a few times for pictures, but I'd rather not unbox them at this point if I don't have to.  They're a little tricky to fit into the original foam inserts, and they're all taped up and ready to ship (original boxes too).  I'm not in a huge rush to sell them, and I have a couple of interested parties.  I think $700+shipping is fair too for the reasons given in my original post.  Hopefully they can find a good home :)

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:32 am »
Great information, thanks! 'Imaging' has always been a real strong suit for the nOrh drum speakers. I have always looked at the ceramics as another example of the Thai crafstmanship. Always wanted some of the ceramic 4.0s, maybe someday...

Here are some pics I have collected

Johng316

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:39 pm »
I love the look of those ceramic 4's.  thanks for the pics!  Ah, the memories....

It was so much fun back in the day to beat the nOrh drum...

Pun fully intended.  :p

Glen_L

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
** SOLD **
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 07:25 pm by Glen_L »