AudioKarma

persisting1

AudioKarma
« on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:36 pm »
Is anyone a member at AudioKarma.org?  I've been trying to register for the forum the past couple of weeks, but my membership keeps getting denied. 

Is there anything I should know/do?   

Wayner

Re: AudioKarma
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm »
They are a rather nasty lot over there, IMO.

Wayner

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:44 am »
Been a member there for ~ 5 years. Maybe there is some small part of registration form your missing? Doubt it but never know.
I'd be happy to post over there for some help on this. They have an Introductions forum that could be a good place to ask what the problem might be, I could do that for you. Plenty of helpful people there, just like here in my experience. Just more geared to vintage.
Don

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:48 am »
Just a thought, do you have cookies enabled in your browser app?  If not that may be causing the error.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 05:38 am by JakeJ »

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:06 am »
Just a thought, do you cookies enabled in your browser app?  If not that may be causing the error.

I don't think so.  I've never had a problem signing up with any other site.  I actually get a email stating that I don't meet their membership requirements.

I'll try it again.   

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2011, 04:12 am »
Now I am curious.  What are these stringent requirements?  I may have to give it a try myself just for the experience.

Wasatch

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:20 am »
Requirements, that's strange.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm by Wasatch »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:29 am »
I had trouble too. I think the reason is that they want your email address with your local service provider. It seems that AK won't accept an email address with free services such as Yahoo, gmail, etc. perhaps because they want a more precise ID.

-Roy

nodiak

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:04 am »
I think Roy is right. Started a thread there and that was mentioned. Will get in contact with a facilitator there tomorrow.
Don

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:08 am »
It seems that AK won't accept an email address with free services such as Yahoo, gmail, etc. perhaps because they want a more precise ID.

Probably a spam control measure, you wouldn't believe the junk registrations we have had in the last day or so since I turned them back on...... did you know that gmail.com is the most common email domain used by spammers? See http://www.stopforumspam.com/spamdomainsandips

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:13 am »
By the way... it really isn't hard or expensive to get your own domain name and email address(es) in it. I'd offer it as a service except that there's no money in it - do it yourself. Do a search and if you get stuck I guess I can provide a pointer or two. Don't use gmail or yahoo or (gack) hotmail. C'mon, it's 2011 already!! ;)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:15 am »
Probably a spam control measure, you wouldn't believe the junk registrations we have had in the last day or so since I turned them back on...... did you know that gmail.com is the most common email domain used by spammers? See http://www.stopforumspam.com/spamdomainsandips

That sure is a long list..... :o

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:19 am »
Well... I guess there are a lot of spammers now.

Here are the last five emails registered here, how many of these do you think are genuine users?

gshifs.ywtlbanp@gmail.com
gaeawe4hwah@hotmail.com
sherikastrebyvukqyf@hotmail.com
yadira773lf@hotmail.com
lynnajmq@gmail.com

(I stopped there because the 6th looks like it might be legit.)

srb

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:29 am »
Email addresses 1, 3, 4 & 5 are listed in the BotScout database as bot spammers.
http://www.botscout.com/

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:34 am »
Hmmmm.... interesting info, thanks  :thumb:

parr3n1

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:18 pm »
I just registered, no problem and my email is with gmail.  Now was it worth my time, we'll see.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:32 pm »

Wayner
ak is a great place for info about wintage gear, imo.  i have never run into any nastiness over there...

ymmv,

doug s.

TONEPUB

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm »

Wayner

:)  That's funny.  They have about five guys over there that always send me nasty emails when I've told other people that it's a great place for really inexpensive hifi.  I believe the word I used was "cheapskates" and they really took offense to that.

But, it is a great resource if you are looking for good vintage gear on a tight budget.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:49 pm »
Although I don't frequent AK anymore, I've been a member there for 6+ years and used to be quite active. Except for a couple of the moderators and their "superiority complex" most all of the members are good folks IMO. You will find a large group there that is very passionate about their vintage gear, as am I.  :)

jasoncroft

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:58 pm »
i joined the site the otherday using my yahoo email and had no problems.