Salk and McIntosh Amps

MichiganMike

Salk and McIntosh Amps
« on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:36 am »
I have been very pleased with my Salk SongTowers, but have planned to upgrade to SoundScape 10 or HT2-TL speakers.   I happened across a demo pair of McIntosh MC501 amps at a good price and purchased them with the idea these would be a better match when I upgraded speakers than my Parasound Halo A23 amp. 

I expected a modest improvement using the McIntosh amp with the SongTowers.  The Parasound A23 is well reviewed and in my experience had provided ample power to drive the SongTowers.  A 500 watt monoblock amp that as a pair list for more than 5 times the price of my SongTowers seemed like overkill.  To my surprise, the combination of Salk and McIntosh has been a revelation.  Bass and control have improved dramatically to a point that I have stopped using a subwoofer.  In addition, there has been a substantial upgrade in detail, imaging and reduced background noise level.  I had thought my SongTowers were the weak link in my system, but have discovered the SongTowers capable of raising their level of performance when matched with a higher quality amp.  These are very impressive speakers.

I have yet to reach 50 watts on the McIntosh meters and am being careful not to overdrive the SongTowers.  At least I do not have concerns about the amps clipping.  However, I expect my wallet will be clipped soon as I am anxious to hear what further improvement may be possible moving up the Salk speaker line. 
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 05:32 pm by MichiganMike »

Big Red Machine

Re: Salk and McIntosh Amps
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm »
Very cool.  I've never owned Mac gear but I sure am a big proponent of large amps.  Having headroom really does make a difference.  I almost always check the size of the transformers before even considering any amp now. 

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:56 pm »
Michigan Mike,

Great move!

The following message is brought to you by The Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Speakers, A PAC (Politically Audio Correct) organization, established for the prevention of Speaker Malignment (Slanderous Defamation) and Unwarranted Abuse. Contributions for the cause can be made out to davidrs over on audio circle.

Speaker speaking

- You know something, most of us have an inferiority complex.

- And it is really sucks being blamed for all of your audio problems first.

- Being the last in the chain, ain't easy.

- And don't even get me going about how often the finger gets pointed at me.

- Or how quick you are to replace me.

- And how that makes me feel.

- All I ever want to do is show you how well I can shine and just how great I can make you feel.

- Thanks for letting me be who I always knew I could be.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:02 pm »
Nice post Mike.

While some people believe amps are basically the same, I definitely have not found that to be true.

Glad to see you enjoying your Salks and McIntosh gear.

George

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2011, 03:32 pm »
Mike -

So when are you coming to pay us a visit?  We just finished a spectacular pair of SoundScape 10's for a neighbor of mine.  He is just putting the final touches on his room and it isn't quite ready yet.  So we'll have them here at the shop for the next week or so. If you wanted to see a pair with all the stops pulled out, this pair would certainly be worth a look!

- Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2011, 04:07 pm »
I have been very pleased with my Salk SongTowers, but have planned to upgrade to SoundScape 10 or HT2-TL speakers.   I happened across a demo pair of McIntosh MC501 amps at a good price and purchased these with the idea these would be a better match when I upgraded speakers than my Parasound Halo A23 amp. 

I expected a modest improvement using the McIntosh amp with the SongTowers.  The Parasound A23 is well reviewed and in my experience had provided ample power to drive the SongTowers.  A 500 watt monoblock amp that as a pair list for more than 5 times the price of my SongTowers seemed like overkill.  To my surprise, the combination of Salk and McIntosh has been a revelation.  Bass and control have improved dramatically to a point that I have stopped using a subwoofer.  In addition, there has been a substantial upgrade in detail, imaging and reduced background noise level.  I had thought my SongTowers were the weak link in my system, but have discovered the SongTowers capable of raising their level of performance when matched with a higher quality amp.  These are very impressive speakers.

I have yet to reach 50 watts on the McIntosh meters and am being careful not to overdrive the SongTowers.  At least I do not have concerns about the amps clipping.  However, I expect my wallet will be clipped soon as I am anxious to hear what further improvement may be possible moving up the Salk speaker line.

A great amp and compnay. They have  been aroun so long for a reason. With all the new stuff around Mac is forgotten much to often. The amp you buy once and keep a very long time.

charles

MichiganMike

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2011, 05:50 pm »
Mike -

So when are you coming to pay us a visit?  We just finished a spectacular pair of SoundScape 10's for a neighbor of mine.  He is just putting the final touches on his room and it isn't quite ready yet.  So we'll have them here at the shop for the next week or so. If you wanted to see a pair with all the stops pulled out, this pair would certainly be worth a look!

- Jim

Jim,

Your description of these SoundScape 10s is very intriguing.  I will give you a call to discuss a field trip. 

One concern that I have is the larger footprint of the SoundScape 10s.  The HT2-TLs will more easily fit in the space currently occupied by my SongTowers.  This is a priority for my wife who has already informed me that the McIntosh amps must migrate to a less conspicuous location.  Despite the Lovan amp stands, she does not perceive the McIntosh amps as decorative elements.

Regards,
Mike   

MichiganMike

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2011, 05:56 pm »
Very cool.  I've never owned Mac gear but I sure am a big proponent of large amps.  Having headroom really does make a difference.  I almost always check the size of the transformers before even considering any amp now.

Speaking of cool, one surprise has been how little heat the MC501 generates.  Even after a couple hour listening session the heat sink of the MC501 amp remains barely above room temperature.  In contrast, my Parasound Halo A23 would become uncomfortably warm to the touch after a similar session.     

srb

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:19 pm »
Speaking of cool, one surprise has been how little heat the MC501 generates. Even after a couple hour listening session the heat sink of the MC501 amp remains barely above room temperature.  In contrast, my Parasound Halo A23 would become uncomfortably warm to the touch after a similar session.     

I'm not surprised by that.  The 500 watt McIntosh's output devices are driven to a smaller percentage of their capacity and their heat is distributed over a much larger heatsink than the compact 125 watt Parasound.

Steve

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:46 pm »
Mike -

- Jim

Outboard crossovers?  Clear Lexan lids all beautifully layed out and spit polished by Sam?!!

ratso

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2011, 01:00 am »

i've gone around and around thinking about what amps i want to eventually wind up with. in my head  i've gone through  tubes, class a, stereo, monoblocs etc. i have finally decided that your line of thinking is what i think too. funny this thread talks about moving from parasound, as i have decided to start saving up for a used pair of the big mono's. 800WPC should do it.

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:45 pm »
funny this thread talks about moving from parasound, as i have decided to start saving up for a used pair of the big mono's. 800WPC should do it.

In the words of my 4-year-old: "Weeeeeee!" :)

ctouhey

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:47 pm »
I use an MC303 for the HT3s and HTC.  I'm very pleased with the results.  Almost went for three 501s, but the spending madness had to quit somewhere...

Chris

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm »
I'm looking for monos this spring....

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:22 am »
I would like monos also.  Big red your looking for Mcintosh monos?

Zero

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2011, 08:27 am »
Man...  MC501's fueling a set of SongTowers. Talk about overkill.  I love it!   :thumb:

For what its worth, the SongTower's also sound great when paired with the more affordable (yet still rather pricey) MA3000 integrated.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm »
I would like monos also.  Big red your looking for Mcintosh monos?

Not necessarily Mac  monos, but monos with lots of power to drive SoundScapes some day.

MichiganMike

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm »
A friend came over today to hear the SongTowers paired with the MC501 amps.  We used mostly his CDs, so this was music he knows well.  He had liked my SongTowers powered by the Parasound A23, but agreed that the MC501s made a major improvement in the imaging, bass and overall musical experience. 

I agree the McIntosh amps are overkill, but the SongTowers now sound like a much more expensive speaker. 

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:08 pm »
Nice post Mike.

While some people believe amps are basically the same, I definitely have not found that to be true.

Glad to see you enjoying your Salks and McIntosh gear.

George

+1 on the difference in amps.   

After all, the amp at it's most basic level is a modulated power supply.  The better it can track the input signal and drive the speakers without voltage/current limitations, the better the speakers should sound.  All amp designs (and more importantly, power supplies) are NOT created equal.   :)

carusoracer

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:55 pm »
Salk speakers pair very well with several different types of Amps. I have not been able to hear the MC501s paired to Salk speakers but the do have big drive and control over the woofers.
I listened for a weekend to my buddies 402 in my rig driving HT3's. Very nice pairing the sense of ease for complex passages and dynamic transients.
The pairing sounded even better when you inserted a tubed preamp.
I think that is the most expensive pairing of SongTowers I have heard about 8)