OB speakers for movies?

hotjt133

OB speakers for movies?
« on: 15 Jan 2011, 10:41 am »
Hi,
    While I was planning my OB7 build, the opinions of several experienced "ex OB fan" audiophiles likely to make me rethink. The main downsides of OB for HT applications tend to be mixed soundstage, voice imagings are artificially stretched and less sharp (more like a projector compared to plasma). I respect their opinions, but I also think they probably haven't heard Danny's OB design.

As I intend to use it for both music and HT, I'd like to know the current OB5/7 users' impressions. Do you use it for movies and does it have similar voice issues (compared to boxed speakers)? Is the center channel integration more complex?

I hope Danny's design overcome these issues. The OB7 will probably cost me $1500 in total, so that's not a small investment. If it turns out not suitable for HT it will be difficult to unload.

Thanks
Tony

emac

Re: OB speakers for movies?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm »
While, I don't use the OB5's or 7's, I use the similarly sounding O3's in my HT.  I've used them without and without a center channel for both movies and music, and personally I can go either way.  The O3's create a very respectable central image and do not need a center channel in order to sound good.  And when I've used a center channel, it's integrated just fine into the overall presentation.  So, while this is not an OB system, I'd imagine that for the OB5/7's, you wouldn't run into a problem. 

It's also worth mentioning that I did run into some stretching and lack of sharpness when I used the stock X-Omni's for HT.  Not so much w/ the Ninja modded version.

Groundzero

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:12 pm »
While I don't have any boxed speakers to compare them to, I never found my V-2s to have issues with sound stage or vocals for movies. I think a center channel would be superfluous considering that the center imaging is impressive already.

For what it is worth, I was going to buy OB7s originally but went for the V-2s instead due to the enclosure being a lot easier to build. Whichever you decide on, you won't be disappointed  :thumb:

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2011, 02:00 am »
I set my son up with X Satik fronts and X Omni rears no center but assisted by a PSB 12" sub (4.1). I have a dedicated room with behind the screen speakers running 6.1 surround. My sons theater is as enjoyable (sans the 106" screen) and about $25,000 less expensive. OB theater has an amazing "surround bubble" impossible to beat for the money IMOP.

hotjt133

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:47 am »
It's also worth mentioning that I did run into some stretching and lack of sharpness when I used the stock X-Omni's for HT.  Not so much w/ the Ninja modded version.

Do you mean sonicaps and mills upgrade in Ninja mod?

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:18 pm »
I have used my OB/7's for several years as both 2 channel and HT. Previously i had several pairs of AV123 speakers and while they may not quite have the slam of a big HT speaker i would not hesitate for a second to reccomend for dual purpose, they are certainly much more articulate. I think there are always a few trade offs, i was willing to error on the side of 2 channel performance but have never been disappointed for a moment in HT use.
I use a ported Onix Ref1 center but have considered the N3 series and no doubt would be a better match although the Ref1 blends with no issues. Perhaps the N3 would be a better timbre match since it uses the same drivers. I am in Austin if your anywhere near for trial, of course a good sub is mandatory for HT use.

sl_1800

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2011, 03:00 pm »
A buddy of mine just bought the Xstatik open baffels and Xvoice center open baffle and Danny's AV-R1S surrounds.  I'm normally a stereo guy with a distaste for home theater but to be honest I thought that setup sounded good.

emac

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2011, 03:47 pm »
Do you mean sonicaps and mills upgrade in Ninja mod?

Yep.  I also had Sonicap Platinums as bypasses for a little while.  While the Platinums did help, they still couldn't bring the Omni's to the level of the O-3's w/o bypass caps. 

hotjt133

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2011, 09:57 pm »
I have used my OB/7's for several years as both 2 channel and HT. Previously i had several pairs of AV123 speakers and while they may not quite have the slam of a big HT speaker i would not hesitate for a second to reccomend for dual purpose, they are certainly much more articulate. I think there are always a few trade offs, i was willing to error on the side of 2 channel performance but have never been disappointed for a moment in HT use.
I use a ported Onix Ref1 center but have considered the N3 series and no doubt would be a better match although the Ref1 blends with no issues. Perhaps the N3 would be a better timbre match since it uses the same drivers. I am in Austin if your anywhere near for trial, of course a good sub is mandatory for HT use.

Hi Nick,
    I see from your photo that your OB7 are placed so close to each other. Normally big speakers are tend to be seperated more. Is it to prevent stretched image?

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm »
Yes, just a photo shot, they reside 3' from wall and 6' apart.

hotjt133

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:10 pm »
For what it is worth, I was going to buy OB7s originally but went for the V-2s instead due to the enclosure being a lot easier to build. Whichever you decide on, you won't be disappointed  :thumb:

I had thought of V2 also, but in the opposit way. I thought the V2 build would be more difficult, especially for the 45 degree cut and some curves, and nowhere to hide the x-over board. The OB7 is a straight box. Also, the V2 kit is $400 more expensive. With its big bass drivers, together with the amp, might be overlap (overkill?) to my already very good Rythmik sub.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:46 am »
While I was planning my OB7 build, the opinions of several experienced "ex OB fan" audiophiles likely to make me rethink. The main downsides of OB for HT applications tend to be mixed soundstage, voice imagings are artificially stretched and less sharp (more like a projector compared to plasma). I respect their opinions, but I also think they probably haven't heard Danny's OB design.

OB's are not unlike any other speaker in this regard. They can be set up too far apart and not have good image focus. Or they can have great imaging if set up properly.

Also, the V2 kit is $400 more expensive. With its big bass drivers, together with the amp, might be overlap (overkill?) to my already very good Rythmik sub.

I use my servo sub with my V-2's some times and set the crossover setting to the lowest setting on the plate amp. It works great!

hotjt133

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:36 am »
Danny, don't tempt me into the V2 territory. You know it is hard to resist  :icon_lol:

I already have difficulties to get the financial, and the space approval for the OB, let alone the V2. I fear I may end up in the N3 territory  :(

HT cOz

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:59 pm »
Danny, don't tempt me into the V2 territory. You know it is hard to resist  :icon_lol:

I already have difficulties to get the financial, and the space approval for the OB, let alone the V2. I fear I may end up in the N3 territory  :(

Don't fear the N3 it is a fantastic speaker! Just be sure your back it up to the challenge because it is a heavy sucka.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:10 pm »
There is nothing wrong with going with an OB-7. That is still a great speaker.

And if you want to jump into OB's but on a tight budget, then I have some X-Statik's and X-Voce's that are pretty nice and for super good prices.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89801.0

Ron

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:11 pm »
 I agree that the N3 as well as the N3S are fantastic sounding speakers.  They sound amazingly good for both home theater use and serious music listening especially if they have all the performance upgrade options installed including Platinum bypass caps.

hotjt133

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm »
There is nothing wrong with going with an OB-7. That is still a great speaker.

And if you want to jump into OB's but on a tight budget, then I have some X-Statik's and X-Voce's that are pretty nice and for super good prices.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89801.0

I have thought of that, but I guess to post the 160lb beast to down under would be astronomically expensive.

hotjt133

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm »
Don't fear the N3 it is a fantastic speaker! Just be sure your back it up to the challenge because it is a heavy sucka.

I thought the N3 in a TL box is quite easy to drive?

HT cOz

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:01 am »
Oh yes very easy to drive my 50w push pull tube amp loves it.

Lifting its 80lbs with your back now that's a challenge!

hotjt133

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:56 am »
Oh yes very easy to drive my 50w push pull tube amp loves it.

Lifting its 80lbs with your back now that's a challenge!

Alright, I miss read you. Your heavy sucker means suck your muscle, not the juice of your amp! Normally in the speaker domain it refers to the latter.