CES 2011 Bryston/Thiel and Bryston/Magnepan Demo Feedback

Napalm

Re: CES 2011 Bryston/Thiel and Bryston/Magnepan Demo Feedback
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:15 am »
Hi Laundrew - no nothing was said at CES as far as I know - but I am always stuck in my room so I rarely get to hear the scuttle-but.
james

Hi James,

Please un-stuck from your room for 10 minutes to check the TV/Blu-Ray guys - they surely have some setups where they stream HD video over wireless. Once you see that in action you'll know that it should be perfectly feasible for audio only too.

Nap.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:55 am »
Magnepan MG3.7
STEREOPHILE
By Robert Deutsch • Posted: Jan 14, 2011 • Published: Jan 14, 2011

“Trickle-down effect” is an expression manufacturers often use to describe the application of lessons learned in developing a flagship model to the development of lower-priced products. However, according to Wendell Diller of Magnepan, in developing the new Magneplanar MG 3.7, what has taken place is a trickle-up effect. (Wendell celebrates 41 years at Magnepan this year!) The lessons learned in going from the MG 1.6 to the MG 1.7 were applied to the more expensive flagship MG 3.6, with what he says are results that represent at least as much of an improvement as the change from the MG 1.6 to the MG 1.7.

I’ve been quite impressed with the MG 1.7 on previous occasions, and listening to the MG 3.7, driven by Bryston electronics at T.H.E. Show, made me think of the MG 1.7, except for greater bass extension and dynamics. Magnepan has kept the price at $5495—$5895/pair, which must represent a bargain for a planar speaker of this performance and pedigree. Standing proudly next to the MG3.7 in JA's photo is Mark Winey, son of founder Jim, who now runs the Minnesotan company. .

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:00 am »
Thiel SCS4T Bryston
STEREOPIILE
By Thomas J. Norton • Posted: Jan 11, 2011 • Published: Jan 11, 2011

The new Thiel floorstanding SCS4T (about $3700/pair), mentioned again further down in this report, is a modest speaker by Thiel standards. The single coaxial driver has the advantage of coincidence. That is, the tweeter is mounted coaxially with the woofer, so the two drive units do not produce comb filtering dips in the speaker's response at off axis angles. Coaxial drivers are also used in more upmarket models from Thiel, and also by KEF and Tannoy, but otherwise are relatively rare.

Yes, I heard more dramatically impressive sound at the show, but the Thiel room, one of the first I visited, sounded so honest and right that for me it represented the sort of value that most of the higher-end products could not manage. Of course, a pair of Thiel subwoofers were helping it along in the deep bass!

And unlike nearly all of the speakers heard at the Venetian, the SCS4T is ready for home theater. The older, stand-mount SCS4 (about $2400/pair, available in singles) should be a good match. It uses the same coaxial driver and can be used as a matching center channel, even mounted on its side (a trick that other non-coaxial 2-way speakers cannot do without sonic consequences.