Upgrade from One.2 to Dodd Tube Buffer Sensation?

jbeard

Upgrade from One.2 to Dodd Tube Buffer Sensation?
« on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:50 am »
Although this has been answered in round about ways, I am curious for direct feedback about whether to upgrade from a One.2 to a Dodd tube-buffered Sensation.

I have the Horn Shoppe Horns with The Cube bass augmenter.  I use a logitech Touch as a source and consider the system very transparent and musical. 

My One.2 has a 3.3uf Sonicap GenI and .01uf Sonicap GenII bypass running on a Dodd battery PSU. 

I am interested in the Sensation only for the tube buffer.  I do not need extra inputs, pre-out, remote etc.  I am also not as interested in the buffer for the buffering effect as I am the possibility of it making the amp sound that much better even though I know at least some of this is due to the buffering effect.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have direct experience with both the Sensation and the One or the Two.  Is the sound that much better considering the price difference?

In the alternative I am considering upgrading my bypass cap to a Sonicap platinum and installing the cryo Auric hook up wire and T-copper speaker posts. 

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

goorackerelite

Re: Upgrade from One.2 to Dodd Tube Buffer Sensation?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2011, 04:27 am »
It's my understanding that the sensation and the one.2 have a very similar sound given that the input caps are the same.

I think what you'll gain with the sensation with the tube buffer is the ability to roll tubes and customize your sound even further. Oh and did I mention you'll get the magical magic of tubes!!!!?

I have a one.2 and I love it!!! even in it's stock configuration. When I add a tube pre-amp in the chain, it does open up the soundstage even further and smoothes out the entire frequency range.
You might even consider adding a high quality tube preamp in your signal chain, as you now already have a supped up one.2

Best
Min

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:37 am »
If you aren't using a dac with the touch you also might consider a tube dac to add to the chain.

jbeard

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:33 pm »
I currently have an Aikido tube pre and a Yaqin tube buffer with Sylvania 6sn7 bad boys.  I like the sound with both but each adds a fuzz to the sound.  My main concern is that since I run my One.2 off battery power, having the buffer and the pre plugged in creates the fuzz.  Currently, my system sounds best with just the One.2 and the logitech Touch in the chain.

I am thinking that having the tube buffer sensation running on my battery PSU will keep the fuzz out and add the tube sweetness while maintaining the razor sharp focus and clarity. 

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:41 pm »
I haven't heard the tube buffer sensation yet. I heard the M451 but with Virtue caps. Compared to my Two.2 with sonicaps and gen II bypass the M451 had a bigger sound, but was definitely held back by the virtue caps. I also have a classic Two with auricaps and both the classic Two and the Two.2 sound better than the classic One I had for a while with virtue caps.

I use the SB3 as my source and I got a huge jump in performance when going with the Channel Islands VDA-2 dac versus the analog out on the SB3 which is why I recommended a dac.

I think the Sensation with tube buffer would be a good choice, but I haven't heard it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:53 pm »
I have a TWO.2 with Auricaps and use a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 as DAC/pre-amp/tube buffer,  my sources are Squeezebox Duet, Piano M1 CD Player, PS3 Blu-ray and gaming. I have not heard a Sensation with Tube Buffer but with my current setup I enjoy the versatility it offers. I am sure that any Virtue Amp with a tube buffer of some sort is a winning combination. You might try adding one of the various tube buffer options available as most seem to be just over $100 and you'll be able to swap out the tubes and tailor your sound for the small price of a vacuum tube. Thats when the fun really starts, new tube equals new sound and there are a bunch of tubes you can try in  whatever size you need. Enjoy!!!