Why no Press??

wywires

Re: Why no Press??
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:26 pm »
In general, reviewers won't publish a review unless they feel the product is at least worthy of some recommendation. I'm sure there are products that are submitted but no review is ever published on them. Reviewers would rather say nothing than trash a product and expose themselves to who knows what.

I've owned VSA products in the past and I purchased a pair of VR1's based on a glowing review but I can't remember where. The review happened to be spot on and I enjoyed the VR1's for several years. I can't say how much VSA advertises in various mags but Stereophile has lost its credibility with many.

With lost credibility and declining readership, the economic value of and ad in said magazine diminishes rapidly.

JackD201

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:35 am »
They have filed for bankruptcy a few times haven't they? To be fair, I don't think it's all about losing credibility. The greater part may just be the shifts in reader habits. Going online is easier. The reviewers of the big online mags have CVs comparable to any of the major print mags rosters and comparable reference systems as well.

Stereophile feels half as thick as 10 years ago. Okay I'm exaggerating a bit. That's a lot less space for reviews and editorials. The recommended component list, one many waited for every year just doesn't seem to carry the prestige it once had. It's too bad. Like them or not, that list made things a lot easier for buyers with no access to auditions. It also launched many companies that really deserved the recognition.

Times are changing though. The "Majors" have serious competition. They just aren't as influential as they used to be.

wywires

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:26 am »
There was a time (many years ago) when I restricted my audio purchases and serious consideration only to stuff that was on Stereophile's recommended list at class C or above. I really started enjoying this hobby much more as soon as started to ignore the list and look elsewhere for guidance.

Ever wonder what the criteria for Motor Trend's Car of the year are?

I still keep renewing my subscription to Stereophile whenever they send me a bill. The last several issues have made their way to the bookshelf unopened. (Yawn)

TONEPUB

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:30 am »
the whole review deal is very complicated and based on many factors. I for one am becoming more cautious with 'pro' reviews and I get more excited about good feedback and reviews from customers and other manufacturers. don't misunderstand me, most of the reviewers I've dealt with are great and often prove helpful just for the advice of their 'ears'. 
also on show reviews, the mags can only visit so many rooms and they start with their advertisers to touch base and say hi, unfortunately at a show of any size that means there isn't much time to cover the rest. they really do their best to be fair.

thanks,
lou

sooo, Jeff, want to schedule a review???

Sure!  We haven't featured one of your speakers in a while...  Send me something after CES and I'll be happy to get something rolling for you.