HDTVs: has analog audio out become extinct?

dburna

Re: HDTVs: has analog audio out become extinct?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:14 am »
Steve (SRB) and TVYankee,

I'd appreciate if you would share your experiences with these Dolby Digital -> analog audio converters, whatever that may be.  Please let us (I assume others might be curious as well) know how well these work and if they have any drawbacks.

Thanks, -dB

srb

Re: HDTVs: has analog audio out become extinct?
« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:36 am »
I'd appreciate if you would share your experiences with these Dolby Digital -> analog audio converters, whatever that may be.  Please let us (I assume others might be curious as well) know how well these work and if they have any drawbacks.

Sorry, but I have no personal experience with them.  My research unearthed the Gefen as one of the few DD DACs available, but I haven't yet ordered one.

I have a Denon AV receiver in my office fed by a 35 ft. optical cable from my living room HTPC.  Although the office system is only 2 channel, I don't want to set the HTPC to output 2 channel PCM, as I want 5.1 in the living room and the ability to watch live and recorded TV in the office.

Although the Denon works fine, I have wanted to replace the large, heavy overkill receiver with a very small integrated amplifier more suitable for desktop use, hence the need for the DD to analog converter.

As with every product that I have read reviews for, many said it worked great and some said it sucked.  There just aren't a lot of these type of converters out there.  I have seen a few questionable oddball Chinese units on eBay and some professional units as well ($$$), but the Gefen seemed to stand alone as available everywhere, small and < $100.

Steve