Speaker Help !

Gvt1911

Speaker Help !
« on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:42 pm »
I am looking into purchasing a set of speakers and need advise. I had just put together a system for a friend and got him a pair of Polk Audio floorstanders for cheap. The sound was a bit harsh for my ears and my listening level, when compared to my Ren Audio 403.5's. They DID have a very nice tight upper bass and the drums were spot on. Now I am back to my Ren Audio's and find that this is missing ( a lot ). My 403.5's are real smooth and laid back and love power.
So my search is on for a pair of speakers that are fast and not muddy with a great midrange and high end.
I have a pair of Ascend Acoustics 170's SE and they seem "bright" when played loud. I was thinking of going with the 340 SE's or I can get a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3's locally for about 300.00...
Money is tight since I am out of work, so I am looking to spend about 300-700 on a pair of speakers.
Any Suggestions or Recommendations?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Speaker Help !
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2010, 06:03 am »
I don't think you're really going to improve on your present speakers in bass tightness while still maintaining the positive aspects of your Renaissance Audio speakers for the price constraints you have.  With the AE's and Ascends you may get the same sound as the Polks, tight bass, harsh treble, which is the typical failing in this price range, albeit the used AE's would be my preference over the Ascends.

However, we had a similar thread a few spots down, "Best floorstander under $1K" and some of the cheaper candidates from that may do, namely Maggie MMG at $600 and Energy C500 at $400, or Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and Paradigm Reference Monitor 7 if you can find them on sale.  In the end you may find your RA's are not so bad after all, maybe room treatment or speaker placement can fix what their lacking enough to live with until you're re-employed.

face

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2011, 12:55 am »
How about some room treatments instead?

Gvt1911

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:48 am »
Thanks for the replies...I decided to keep the Ren Audio 403.5's and am getting a pair of Quad 22L2's to play with...  :D The 403.5's are a bit "Spendorish" and may work fine in a larger brighter room... :scratch: