Virtues as Mono block power amps

mcgarick

Virtues as Mono block power amps
« on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:04 am »
Hello

I've read that the Virtue amps can be used as mono block amps, If I plug one speaker into my virtue amp......All the power goes to the one channel?

I don't understand this, would anyone condescend to explain how this works?

The amps I've owned, that can be bridged to mono, you must flip a switch.

How does this work with the Virtue? :scratch:

Who out there is doing this to good effect?

Thanks.

dvenardos

Re: Virtues as Mono block power amps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:22 am »
This was mainly for before the high current power supplies were available. Since none of the supplies could provide enough current, if you only used one channel it would use all the available current from the power supply. With the latest power supplies there is little benefit (channel separation) to going mono.

mcgarick

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:45 pm »
"Aa! Sou!"

Thanks

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:54 pm »
This was mainly for before the high current power supplies were available. Since none of the supplies could provide enough current, if you only used one channel it would use all the available current from the power supply. With the latest power supplies there is little benefit (channel separation) to going mono.

So will a TWO.2 still do this if used as a mono amp or has this feature been 'designed out'?

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 04:07 pm »
So will a TWO.2 still do this if used as a mono amp or has this feature been 'designed out'?
Yes, it will. This is from the One.2/Two.2 manual:

Q: Do the units have a bridged mode?

A: The units are already bridged. Each channel on our ONE/ONE.2/TWO/Sensation amps supports 87 watts. Choose L or R and you'll get a bridged "mono" unit that uses all the power you can throw at it. Warning: outputs are not ground and the units outputs cannot be connected together in any way.

Cornelis

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2011, 04:47 pm »
Thanks!

mcgarick

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2011, 05:58 pm »

I understand with the Virtue, that it uses 2 tripath power chips, each chip is a two channel stereo chip that Virtue has bridged.

Each chip is bridged, so that it give both channels of power to one channel. It is already bridged, It cannot be bridged again.

How then, does this unit bridge the power in a mono block  configuration?  I don't think it does.

The first responder to my question says it can't, and the benefit of two units was that all the power from the power supply would go to one channel and power that one channel fully.

Now that there are big PS available, this way of doing doesn't make sense anymore.

Am I right thinking this??

If not,why?       

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:17 pm »
Correct.